how do I make the "resizeTo() "command work only for specified page, not for every subsequent page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Jules Flynn, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Jules Flynn

    Jules Flynn Guest

    what seems quite a simple problem but I'm not sure how to get round
    it:

    my web site relies on the opening of "pop-up" windows at specific
    sizes (don't worry - the windows are requested by the visitor) in
    order to display art-work.

    However at some point I've had to use the resizeTo(400, 500) command
    - after this has been done all subsequent "pop-up" windows open to
    this size rather than the size they're supposed to.

    The browser seems to assume that all subsequent windows want to be
    opened to (400, 500)

    can anybody help

    you can check out the site: www.selfportrait.artimedia.co.uk

    thanks

    jules

    Jules Flynn, Apr 25, 2004

  2. Re: how do I make the "resizeTo() "command work only for specifiedpage, not for every subsequent page

    Jules Flynn wrote:

    > my web site relies on the opening of "pop-up" windows at specific
    > sizes (don't worry - the windows are requested by the visitor)

    I you would have bothered to read previous discussions,
    you would have known that popups are evil[tm] anyway
    and that you therefore cannot rely on them.

    ?

    > However at some point I've had to use the resizeTo(400, 500) command

    No, you do not *have* to nor do you want to use that.
    window.resizeTo() breaks with tabbed browsing, e.g.

    > - after this has been done all subsequent "pop-up" windows open to
    > this size rather than the size they're supposed to.

    That is the default behavior. Child windows
    copy the features of their parent window.

    > The browser seems to assume that all subsequent windows want to be
    > opened to (400, 500)

    Exactly.

    > can anybody help

    Ask Google (Groups) about the window.open() method.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 3, 2004