How do I make visible a folder on my web domain?

AJ

My ISP allows me a fair bit of web space - I want to use some of this to
share photos and files. I have therefore created a folder in my web space
to upload such content, however how do I allow http access to the content?
Is there some way I can serve the directory listing easily as a html page?

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

AJ said:
My ISP allows me a fair bit of web space - I want to use some of this to
share photos and files. I have therefore created a folder in my web space
to upload such content, however how do I allow http access to the content?
Is there some way I can serve the directory listing easily as a html page?

Your ISP should give you a URL, something like:
http://youraccount.theirname.com/~username or something similar. Also, you
could always register your own domain name (whatever.com) and, if the
registrar offers URL redirect, you could have that redirect to the URL your
ISP gives you.

--Tina

AJ

Tina - sorry for the confusion - I already have a domain name which
naturally points to my webspace root where I have my index.html. My
question is: if I then want to share a whole folder of content within this
webspace (say a folder called "photos"), how do I refer to it easily by
index.html such that its contents are downloadable?

Sid Ismail

: Tina - sorry for the confusion - I already have a domain name which
: naturally points to my webspace root where I have my index.html. My
: question is: if I then want to share a whole folder of content within this
: webspace (say a folder called "photos"), how do I refer to it easily by
: index.html such that its contents are downloadable?

.... then right-click and save any jpg/gif</P>

and ensure that you do not index.html (or whatever your server as std.
lookup) in it.

Sid

Nick Howes

AJ said:
Tina - sorry for the confusion - I already have a domain name which
naturally points to my webspace root where I have my index.html. My
question is: if I then want to share a whole folder of content within this
webspace (say a folder called "photos"), how do I refer to it easily by
index.html such that its contents are downloadable?

I think it depends on the server... some servers, if there is no suitable
html file to display, will list the files in the directory... others will
error. Or it might be to do with the browser? Somebody correct me please.

The best way is to make your own page with links to each file, if there are
a lot of these files then there may be some script to generate this page for
you.

Toby A Inkster

Nick said:
I think it depends on the server... some servers, if there is no suitable
html file to display, will list the files in the directory... others will
error. Or it might be to do with the browser? Somebody correct me please.

It all depends on how the server is configured and can be different on a
directory-by-directory basis. For example:

No automatic list of files:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Images/

Automatic list of files:

http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/