    share photos and files. I have therefore created a folder in my web space
    to upload such content, however how do I allow http access to the content?
    Is there some way I can serve the directory listing easily as a html page?
    AJ, Nov 22, 2003

  2. "AJ" <> wrote in message
    news:bpoeii$3nr$...
    > My ISP allows me a fair bit of web space - I want to use some of this to
    > share photos and files. I have therefore created a folder in my web space
    > to upload such content, however how do I allow http access to the content?
    > Is there some way I can serve the directory listing easily as a html page?

    Your ISP should give you a URL, something like:
    http://youraccount.theirname.com/~username or something similar. Also, you
    could always register your own domain name (whatever.com) and, if the
    registrar offers URL redirect, you could have that redirect to the URL your
    ISP gives you.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup
    Tina - AffordableHOST.com, Nov 22, 2003

  3. AJ

    AJ Guest

    Tina - sorry for the confusion - I already have a domain name which
    naturally points to my webspace root where I have my index.html. My
    question is: if I then want to share a whole folder of content within this
    webspace (say a folder called "photos"), how do I refer to it easily by
    index.html such that its contents are downloadable?

    AJ, Nov 22, 2003
  4. AJ

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:59:23 +0000 (UTC), "AJ" <>
    wrote:

    : Tina - sorry for the confusion - I already have a domain name which
    : naturally points to my webspace root where I have my index.html. My
    : question is: if I then want to share a whole folder of content within this
    : webspace (say a folder called "photos"), how do I refer to it easily by
    : index.html such that its contents are downloadable?

    .... then right-click and save any jpg/gif</P>

    and ensure that you do not index.html (or whatever your server as std.
    lookup) in it.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Nov 22, 2003
  5. AJ

    Nick Howes Guest

    "AJ" <> wrote in message
    > Tina - sorry for the confusion - I already have a domain name which
    > naturally points to my webspace root where I have my index.html. My
    > question is: if I then want to share a whole folder of content within this
    > webspace (say a folder called "photos"), how do I refer to it easily by
    > index.html such that its contents are downloadable?

    I think it depends on the server... some servers, if there is no suitable
    html file to display, will list the files in the directory... others will
    error. Or it might be to do with the browser? Somebody correct me please.

    The best way is to make your own page with links to each file, if there are
    a lot of these files then there may be some script to generate this page for
    you.
    Nick Howes, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Nick Howes wrote:

    > I think it depends on the server... some servers, if there is no suitable
    > html file to display, will list the files in the directory... others will
    > error. Or it might be to do with the browser? Somebody correct me please.

    It all depends on how the server is configured and can be different on a
    directory-by-directory basis. For example:

    No automatic list of files:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Images/

    Automatic list of files:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/Software/