How do i move a project from a local development pc to a server ?

Tony Girgenti

Hello.

I'm developing and testing a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1 on a WIN XP Pro, SP2
computer. I'm using a web form.

How do I move this project/solution from a local development xp pro computer
which uses IIS/localhost, to another xp pro computer that is on a Windows
2003 server domain. I want to be able to use the Windows 2003 server IIS
instead of localhost.

I'm not trying to deploy the project for end user use. I'm still developing
and want to now continue development on new xp that is part of the Windows
2003 server.

When i try to open the project on the xp (which does not have IIS running
locally)connected to the Windows 2003, i get an error that says it can't
find localhost.

Thanks,
Tony

Gerry Hickman

Hi,

I don't think you can do it like this. You are saying you want to move
your project from a stand-alone XP box _with_ IIS to a domain XP box
_without_ IIS, and expect it to still work? No.

You are then suggesting you might actually develop it directly on the
server?? Absolutely not!

You'd usually have to ask the domain admin the correct procedure to use
on their specific network. They will set it up for you. In general (with
VS2003) you'd need an XP box on the domain which _does_ have IIS
installed, then you'd develop on that box and publish to the 2003 server
when ready.

With VS2005 it's a LOT easier because you don't need to run IIS at all

Gerry Hickman

Hi,

I think there's two separate questions here. You also didn't make it
clear you were talking about a "web service" before. I thought you were
talking about a web project (web app).

Q1. How can I develop using IIS at home and at work with VS2003
Q2. How do I deploy a web service to a production server

Is that right?

or, are you saying you never want to visit the office, you want remote
debugging and ability to develop the whole thing on the live server from
a remote location (which will screw up the users who are trying to use it)

(the Step 4 you link to below glosses over the details)

There are lots of different answers to the above questions.

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.

Here is what i have at home:
I'm developing and testing a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1 on a WIN XP Pro, SP2
computer. I'm using a web form. The application is a client/consumer of a
web service. It is not a web service itself that other clients can consume.

At he office i have:
VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS6.0 on a
SBS2003 server computer with multiple workstations logged into the domain.
All ws's are XP Pro SP2. One of them is mine. I can log onto the domain.
The ws i have does not have IIS on it.

Can i take my project to the office and install IIS5.1 on my XP Pro computer
there and install whatever else is needed to develop the project the same
way i am doing it at home ? Absolutely. I am sure that i can do that.

I just thought it would be nice to use the server that i have at the office,
since it is a real live server and not just IIS5.1 localhost web service.
If you think this cannot be done, i will certainly do what i just explained
in the previous paragraph. Also, i thought it would be good to do because,
when i am finally done with the web consuming project, it will be installed
on a real live 2003 server also.

I don't need to remote in to do anything, although i probably will once i
have this set up at the office.

I'm sure there a lot of different ways to do it and if you have anyway to do
it, that is what i am looking for.

Hoping that you have an answer.

Thanks for all of your help with this.

Tony

Gerry Hickman

Hi Tony,
I'm developing and testing a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1 on a WIN XP Pro, SP2
computer. I'm using a web form. The application is a client/consumer of a
web service. It is not a web service itself that other clients can consume.

OK, that's clear now.
At he office i have:
VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS6.0 on a
SBS2003 server computer with multiple workstations logged into the domain.
All ws's are XP Pro SP2. One of them is mine. I can log onto the domain.
The ws i have does not have IIS on it.

Yikes, you installed VS.NET 2003 to a live server? That's very bad!
Breaks every rule of client/server computing.
Can i take my project to the office and install IIS5.1 on my XP Pro computer
there and install whatever else is needed to develop the project the same
way i am doing it at home ? Absolutely. I am sure that i can do that.

Yes. This is the proper course of action. Ask your Network Administrator
to help you configure IIS to exactly match your home system (or visa
versa) and also to set it up so it can work without logging is as an
Administrator, as this would be a serious security risk under
Microsoft's o/s. Again, this is improved in VS2005 as you don't need IIS
on the client.
I just thought it would be nice to use the server that i have at the office,
since it is a real live server and not just IIS5.1 localhost web service.
If you think this cannot be done,

It could be "done", but the proper way to do it is to develop on a
client computer, then publish it to the server when it's fully debugged
and tested. You can then work on new versions without affecting the live
server.

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.
Breaks every rule of client/server computing.<<

What i did was just put the cd's on the server and installed it locally on
my pc. According to Microsoft, that is allowed.

But i don't see what that has to do with the question i am asking. I am the
Administrator at my office and IIS 6.0 is already set up on the 2003 server.
When i take my project to my office and put it on my pc at the office and
try to open it with VS.NET 2003, it gives a message saying that it can't
find localhost.

How do i take this project to my office and continue to develop it on my pc
while i am at the office ? Instead of just working on it at home, i want to
be able to work on it while i am at the office.

Thanks
Tony

Tony Girgenti

Hello mark.

I got this from a readme on the VS.NET2003 cd's:

2. System Requirements
The tables below list requirements for different installation options of
Visual Studio .NET 2003. The Notes identified here apply to both tables.

System Requirements for Installing Visual Studio .NET 2003

Visual Studio .NET 2003 (All Editions)
Processor 450 megahertz (MHz) Pentium II-class processor
600 MHz Pentium III-class processor recommended
Operating System Visual Studio .NET 2003 can be installed on any of
the following systems:

a.. Microsoft Windows Server 2003
b.. Windows XP Professional
c.. Windows XP Home Edition1
d.. Windows 2000 Professional (Service Pack 3 or later required)6
e.. Windows 2000 Server (Service Pack 3 or later required)6
Applications can be deployed to the following systems2, 3:

a.. Microsoft Windows Server 2003
b.. Windows XP Professional
c.. Windows XP Home Edition
d.. Windows 2000 (Service Pack 3 or later recommended)
e.. Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me)
f.. Windows 98
g.. Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6a required)

waqas.younas

What i did was just put the cd's on the server and installed it locally on
Man, that is sweet , I couldn't resist a good laugh:)..I apologize for
dropping in and I couldn't actuallly help you as I am also actually
looking for answer to my question. Good luck :)

Tony Girgenti

Uhhh. What's so funny ?

Man, that is sweet , I couldn't resist a good laugh:)..I apologize for
dropping in and I couldn't actuallly help you as I am also actually
looking for answer to my question. Good luck :)

Tony Girgenti

So i guess nobody has an answer for this.

Gerry Hickman said:
Hi Tony,

OK, that's clear now.

Yikes, you installed VS.NET 2003 to a live server? That's very bad! Breaks
every rule of client/server computing.

Yes. This is the proper course of action. Ask your Network Administrator
to help you configure IIS to exactly match your home system (or visa
versa) and also to set it up so it can work without logging is as an
Administrator, as this would be a serious security risk under Microsoft's
o/s. Again, this is improved in VS2005 as you don't need IIS on the
client.

It could be "done", but the proper way to do it is to develop on a client
computer, then publish it to the server when it's fully debugged and
tested. You can then work on new versions without affecting the live
server.

Gerry Hickman

Hi Tony,

I'll quickly answer the part about installing VS.NET IDE on a server.

DON'T DO IT.

Some components included with VS.NET 2003 are SUPPOSED to be installed
on a server, but that's a different story.

The system requirements are just requirements for the application to
run. They are not actually suggesting it's a viable development model
for the real world.

I could write a book on why it's a bad idea.

Gerry Hickman

Hi Tony,

I've already answered this below. See the part where I said "Yes, this
is the proper course of action..."

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.
I don't see where this helps me resolve the problem of it telling me that it
can't find the server because it is looking for localhost.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony Girgenti

Hello Gerry.

You keep telling me not to do this, but you don't say why. Are you telling
me that because you think it is illegal or do you know of a problem/s that
can occur by doing it ?

I know you said you could write a book, but could you give me just one
reason that i should not do it ?

Thanks,
Tony

Gerry Hickman

Hi Tony,

Here's the exact text of the question and answer again (for the 3rd time)

Gerry Hickman

Hi Tony,

No, I'm not going to write a book (right now) on

1. The basics of client/server computing
2. The pros and cons of different development models in the context of
team working, source control, remote debugging, and remote access over
standards compliant protocols.
3. The low-level details of how security tokens are passed around modern
networks and how IIS determines which process runs with which token.
4. Good security practice on Windows networks and how Vista will affect
this.

But, feel free to ignore the advice if you don't like it, and then you
can write your own book in two years time!