How do I open a MPP (microsoft project plan) file in asp.net?

Mel

Anyone know how to display a .mpp file in Asp.net? We use Microsoft
Project to create Gantt charts and we want the customer to be able to
view their their Gantt chart(s) online.

(using Asp.net 2.0, vb.net, Visual Studio Pro 2005, WinXP SP2)

Guest

Anyone know how to display a .mpp file in Asp.net?  We use Microsoft
Project to create Gantt charts and we want the customer to be able to
view their their Gantt chart(s) online.

(using Asp.net 2.0, vb.net, Visual Studio Pro 2005, WinXP SP2)

MS Project has an option to export MPP to XML. XML would be quite easy
to read and use in your application. Of course you should always
export your projects to XML (or use XML as a project file, you can
open XML in MS Project too).

Mel

Thank you, I'll check that out.

We are planning on creating a macro that will create the MS project
file on the fly every time a date is changed in access database (the
table is ODBC linked table to our SQL Server). Once the project file
is created I can show that project file on the website. Sounds icky
right? Do you think it would be better to just add a control to the
web page that would read the data from the SQL server directly and
create the Gantt chart then and there. Has anyone ever used a Gantt
Chart control they can recommend?

Mel

It most certainly does! Presumably there are good reasons for the convoluted
solution...

Yes I do, but why reinvent the wheel...? Displaying project information in a
browser-based environment is such a common scenario that Microsoft have
already provided a solution... As is usual with very common requirements,
several 3rd-party solutions now also exist, like the one I recommended
above...

http://www.advsofteng.com/gallery_gantt.html

Can anyone recommend a Gantt Chart control that contains dependency
information?
(By Dependency I mean one task can't start until another is finished.)