How do I open a new normal (full sized) browser window form a small "pop-up" window?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Shiperton Henethe, May 6, 2004.

  1. Hi

    Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    browser window from a small popup window?

    I'm using something like this.

    <script language="javascript">
    <!--
    function OpenWin(theURL,winName,features) {
    theURL = theURL + "?URL="+window.parent.location;
    window.open(theURL,winName,features);
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    OpenWin('http://www.auction-air.com/bidding_advice_no_menu.html','advice_win
    ','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height=550,resizable=yes,left=20,top=20')">click
    text<a>

    ....And it creates a nice small 600x550 "pop-up" browser window.

    But how do I creat a link within that pop-up window
    that will fire up a normal *full-sized* browser window.

    ==> Any ideas?

    With thanks

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe
    Shiperton Henethe, May 6, 2004

  2. *Shiperton Henethe* wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    > browser window from a small popup window?

    Depending on the markup sheme you're using the anchor attribute:
    target="advice_win"

    > I'm using something like this.
    >
    > <script language="javascript">
    > <!--
    > function OpenWin(theURL,winName,features) {
    > theURL = theURL + "?URL="+window.parent.location;
    > window.open(theURL,winName,features);
    > }
    > //-->
    > </script>

    OpenWin('http://www.auction-air.com/bidding_advice_no_menu.html','advice
    _win

    ','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height=550,resizable=yes,left=20,top=20')">c
    lick
    > text<a>

    Note: jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24. Also, you might already know this, but
    as well as not working for users without javascript (including Google),
    that will also not work for users with certain pop-up blockers. The
    generally recommended slightly more accessible approach of (in your
    case):

    onclick="OpenWin(this.href,'advice_win','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height
    =550,resizable=yes'); return false;">descriptive link text<a>

    ....will still fail for certain pop-up blockers (that redefine the
    window.open method) and neither the popup nor traditional link will
    activate and there won't be any reported errors!
    --
    Andrew Urquhart
    - FAQ: www.html-faq.com
    Andrew Urquhart, May 6, 2004

  3. Shiperton Henethe

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <409a185e$0$15691$>,
    says...
    > Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    > browser window from a small popup window?

    What do you mean full size? You mean kiosk mode?
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 6, 2004
  4. Shiperton Henethe

    Andy Dingley Guest

    "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote in message news:<409a185e$0$15691$>...

    > Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    > browser window from a small popup window?

    You don't.

    There are few reasons for opening a pop-up (and many reasons no to).

    If you compare these situations; a windowed pop-up and a full-screen
    pop-up, then all the bad things become far worse for the full-screen
    and the good things become less good.

    Suppose my screen is huge, so huge that it's only useful as a way of
    having many windows open at once. Text readability is best for lines
    about 60 characters, so a 2000 pixel screen width isn't much use as a
    full-width text reader. Now imagine how irritating it is for your
    window to insist on going full-screen.

    Suppose the pop-up is a neatly sized image viewer in a photo gallery
    (a valid reason fof pop-ups). Now imagine how bad that looks as a 2000
    pixel window with a 480 wide postage stamp in one corner.

    One of the few things more irritating than opening a window
    full-screen would be to open a new window windowed, but sized to be
    the same size as the full screen.
    Andy Dingley, May 6, 2004
  5. Shiperton Henethe

    OJ Guest

    "Shiperton Henethe" <> wrote in message news:<409a185e$0$15691$>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    > browser window from a small popup window?
    >

    > I'm using something like this.
    >
    > <script language="javascript">
    > <!--
    > function OpenWin(theURL,winName,features) {
    > theURL = theURL + "?URL="+window.parent.location;
    > window.open(theURL,winName,features);
    > }
    > //-->
    > </script>

    > OpenWin('http://www.auction-air.com/bidding_advice_no_menu.html','advice_win
    > ','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height=550,resizable=yes,left=20,top=20')">click
    > text<a>
    >
    > ...And it creates a nice small 600x550 "pop-up" browser window.
    >
    > But how do I creat a link within that pop-up window
    > that will fire up a normal *full-sized* browser window.

    Hi,

    As I sure some will come back with here, what is *full-sized* ?

    oj

    OJ, May 6, 2004
  6. Shiperton Henethe

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 11:52:51 +0100, "Shiperton Henethe" <>
    wrote:

    : But how do I creat a link within that pop-up window
    : that will fire up a normal *full-sized* browser window.

    Please don't mess with my browser...

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, May 6, 2004
  7. "Andrew Urquhart" <> wrote in
    message news:9npmc.4703$7S2.694@newsfe1-win...
    > *Shiperton Henethe* wrote:
    > > Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    > > browser window from a small popup window?

    > Depending on the markup sheme you're using the anchor attribute:
    > target="advice_win"

    Mysteriously the first time I tried this it seemed to work.
    But now it doesnt!
    Nope. No good.

    > > I'm using something like this.
    > >
    > > <script language="javascript">
    > > <!--
    > > function OpenWin(theURL,winName,features) {
    > > theURL = theURL + "?URL="+window.parent.location;
    > > window.open(theURL,winName,features);
    > > }
    > > //-->
    > > </script>

    > OpenWin('http://www.auction-air.com/bidding_advice_no_menu.html','advice
    > _win
    > >

    > ','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height=550,resizable=yes,left=20,top=20')">c
    > lick
    > > text<a>

    > Note: jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_24. Also, you might already know this, but
    > as well as not working for users without javascript (including Google),
    > that will also not work for users with certain pop-up blockers. The
    > generally recommended slightly more accessible approach of (in your
    > case):

    > onclick="OpenWin(this.href,'advice_win','scrollbars=yes,width=600,height
    > =550,resizable=yes'); return false;">descriptive link text<a>
    >
    > ...will still fail for certain pop-up blockers (that redefine the
    > window.open method) and neither the popup nor traditional link will
    > activate and there won't be any reported errors!

    Does this mean that opening a new browser
    window is not recommended *AT ALL* except is using
    straight HTML such as:

    The trouble with the above is that there are certain times when
    you dont want to take so much screen space because the
    user would actually benefit from seeing two browsers
    open at the same time.

    (e.g. a small window containing the a "key" to some
    graphics... or a maybe a photograph of the product
    they are trying to buy...)

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe
    Shiperton Henethe, May 18, 2004

  8. > > Can anyone tell me how to open up a new normal, full-sized
    > > browser window from a small popup window?

    > You don't.
    >
    > There are few reasons for opening a pop-up (and many reasons no to).
    >
    > If you compare these situations; a windowed pop-up and a full-screen
    > pop-up, then all the bad things become far worse for the full-screen
    > and the good things become less good.
    >
    > Suppose my screen is huge, so huge that it's only useful as a way of
    > having many windows open at once. Text readability is best for lines
    > about 60 characters, so a 2000 pixel screen width isn't much use as a
    > full-width text reader. Now imagine how irritating it is for your
    > window to insist on going full-screen.
    >
    > Suppose the pop-up is a neatly sized image viewer in a photo gallery
    > (a valid reason fof pop-ups). Now imagine how bad that looks as a 2000
    > pixel window with a 480 wide postage stamp in one corner.
    >

    > One of the few things more irritating than opening a window
    > full-screen would be to open a new window windowed, but sized to be
    > the same size as the full screen.

    Sorry what I meant was to open a "normal/default" sized
    browser window (full or whatever dimensions the user
    had got set up as a default)... from a popup window.

    The reason we want a new "popup" window in the first place
    is so that the user can see two windows at once. For example
    on our Indecision Dashboard (e.g. at the bottom of this page
    http://www.auction-air.com/auction_2004_may/lot344.html )
    we have things like "how high should I bid" and "Tell-a-Friend"
    which we feel need to feel like a bit of a side show to the
    main event when the user opens them up.

    On reflection, even better would be to open a small
    browser window (i.e. a "popup") from a browser and
    from that popup to be able to go back to
    the ORGINAL / REFERRING browser window and straight
    to a new page.

    How do I do that?!

    with thanks

    Ship
    Shiperton Henethe
    Shiperton Henethe, May 18, 2004
  9. Shiperton Henethe

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:27:36 +0100, "Shiperton Henethe"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Does this mean that opening a new browser
    > window is not recommended *AT ALL*

    Yes.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, May 18, 2004
  10. Shiperton Henethe wrote:

    > The reason we want a new "popup" window in the first place
    > is so that the user can see two windows at once.

    A popup window is unlikely to give the user any extra visible space. Every
    square inch of screen space the popup takes up will probably result in a
    square inch of the underlying window getting obscured.

    Just put the popup content in the main window.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, May 20, 2004
  11. Shiperton Henethe

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > The reason we want a new "popup" window in the first place
    > > is so that the user can see two windows at once.

    > A popup window is unlikely to give the user any extra visible space. Every
    > square inch of screen space the popup takes up will probably result in a
    > square inch of the underlying window getting obscured.

    He didn't say he wanted to give the user "extra visible space" He said
    he wanted both windows up at once.

    Visitors (other than some of the anal people here) are not against
    popups, they are against popup ads. Huge difference, and
    distinguishable by the visitor if done properly.

    For example. The little calendar to choose my flight date for (used by
    virtually all web ticket agents) I am on a page making reservations. I
    don't know the date so I click on their "calendar" button. Up pops a
    window with a little calendar. I choose the date the window goes away
    and the data is filled in.

    How much easier (and more logical) is that, then I press the button my
    entire screen changes to a calendar.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 20, 2004
  12. Whitecrest <> wrote:
    > Visitors (other than some of the anal people here) are not against
    > popups, they are against popup ads. Huge difference, and
    > distinguishable by the visitor if done properly.

    I agree. I have small pics on one of my sites for people to look at
    items they might want to buy. If they click the pic, or a named link, a
    larger version of the pic appears in a popup.

    To me, this kind of thing (along with things like a pop-up shopping
    cart) make sense and isn't confusing.

    > For example. The little calendar to choose my flight date for (used
    > by virtually all web ticket agents) I am on a page making
    > reservations. I don't know the date so I click on their "calendar"
    > button. Up pops a window with a little calendar. I choose the date
    > the window goes away and the data is filled in.
    >
    > How much easier (and more logical) is that, then I press the button my
    > entire screen changes to a calendar.

    That would annoy the hell out of me.

    Me, I'm trying to find a way to re-do the site with the pics in a more
    compatible way. I loathe Javascript, but it seems that using Javascript
    is the only way to offer strict compliance.

    Therefore, I probably won't bother.

    --
    _Deirdre http://deirdre.net
    "Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
    Deirdre Saoirse Moen, May 20, 2004
  13. Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

    > Whitecrest <> wrote:
    >
    >> How much easier (and more logical) is that, then I press the button my
    >> entire screen changes to a calendar.

    > That would annoy the hell out of me.

    And me too, but that doesn't make a popup the ideal solution.

    A far better solution would be to display the little calendar on screen in
    the first place, as part of the main page and then maybe hide it using
    javascript ( document.getElementById('cal').style.display='none' ) and
    show it as required.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, May 20, 2004
  14. Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    > Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
    >
    >> Whitecrest <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How much easier (and more logical) is that, then I press the button my
    >>> entire screen changes to a calendar.

    >> That would annoy the hell out of me.

    > And me too, but that doesn't make a popup the ideal solution.
    >
    > A far better solution would be to display the little calendar on screen in
    > the first place, as part of the main page and then maybe hide it using
    > javascript ( document.getElementById('cal').style.display='none' ) and
    > show it as required.

    Except that then you get to the "requires javascript" problem. And what
    happens if that user has javascript disabled?

    Personally, until, oh two days ago, I'd never put it on the client side
    (simply and only because I really hate the idea of *requiring* it). I'd
    done sites that required it (and some that were server-side js), but it
    was just my thing.

    Oh, sure, you could redraw the entire page (if the calendar popup was
    a link), but that's probably the worst of the three options.

    The target option allows for a window opening that *doesn't* require
    javascript, even though one doesn't have control over the parameters.

    Unfortunately, there are times when it's the best choice. Of several bad
    choices, granted, but still...

    Deirdre Saoirse Moen, May 20, 2004
  15. Shiperton Henethe

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Whitecrest <> wrote:
    > >> How much easier (and more logical) is that, then I press the button my
    > >> entire screen changes to a calendar.

    > > That would annoy the hell out of me.

    > And me too, but that doesn't make a popup the ideal solution.
    > A far better solution would be to display the little calendar on screen in
    > the first place, as part of the main page and then maybe hide it using
    > javascript ( document.getElementById('cal').style.display='none' ) and
    > show it as required.

    That is another good solution, and British Air does something like that
    (actually you choose dates from a dropdown which is another solution but
    without a calendar at all), but page real estate may not permit it, or
    the corporation may want to do it the popup way way because it is the
    "norm" for the industry. (again "norm" may not mean the ideal solution).

    I doubt for cases like these that people complain too much about a popup
    calendar (or as with the OP larger picture). It is what they are use to
    seeing at all (all = majority) the other sites like this. (hotel.com,
    nwa.com, expedia.com delta.com bla bla bla....)

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, May 21, 2004
  16. Shiperton Henethe

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Deirdre Saoirse Moen" <> wrote in message
    > Whitecrest <> wrote:
    > > Visitors (other than some of the anal people here) are not against
    > > popups, they are against popup ads. Huge difference, and
    > > distinguishable by the visitor if done properly.

    > I agree. I have small pics on one of my sites for people to look at
    > items they might want to buy. If they click the pic, or a named link, a
    > larger version of the pic appears in a popup.
    >
    > To me, this kind of thing (along with things like a pop-up shopping
    > cart) make sense and isn't confusing.

    You said "to me..."
    The question is, does it make sense to the user or is it confusing/ annoying
    to them.
    Unless you actually do a usability test in your specific implementation,
    anything you say on the subject is pure conjecture on your part.

    --
    Karl Core
    Karl Groves, May 21, 2004
  17. Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >
    >> A far better solution would be to display the little calendar on screen in
    >> the first place, as part of the main page and then maybe hide it using
    >> javascript ( document.getElementById('cal').style.display='none' ) and
    >> show it as required.

    > Except that then you get to the "requires javascript" problem. And what
    > happens if that user has javascript disabled?

    If the user doesn't have Javascript then they can still see the calendar.
    Did you not read/understand my post?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, May 21, 2004
  18. Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >> Except that then you get to the "requires javascript" problem. And what
    >> happens if that user has javascript disabled?

    > If the user doesn't have Javascript then they can still see the calendar.
    > Did you not read/understand my post?

    Read, yes. Had a conceptual failure in visualizing it at the time of my
    first reading. That'd work.

    Deirdre Saoirse Moen, May 21, 2004