How do I overwrite existing web.config with a new one?

Andy

I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
change, and save it.

But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
a new website in IIS!

Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
copying the new version over the old version?

Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

Mythran

Andy said:
I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
change, and save it.

But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
a new website in IIS!

Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
copying the new version over the old version?

Any help appreciated, it is driving me nuts!

If IIS hangs after a web.config change, something is wrong. IIS should not
hang, but instead it should signal a JIT recompile the next time someone
accesses a page for that application/application pool.

HTH,
Mythran

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=

Andy said:
I thought I could RDP to the web server, open the web.config, make the
change, and save it.

Waht did you use to edit the file? Notepad works fine, but if you use an
editor that lockes the file while editing, this might possible mess up IIS.
But this causes IIS to hang, and it never recovers - I have to create
a new website in IIS!

Was it IIS or the web site that did hang?
Should I be copying the existing web.config, changing it, and then
copying the new version over the old version?

That would solve the problem if it is the editor that is causing it.