How do I post to the wxPython mailing list?

Discussion in 'Python' started by mmanns@gmx.net, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    Since I have been told in this group to post wxPython related topics in
    the wxPython-users mailing list instead of here, I just tried doing
    that.

    However, I always get an error message back when using gmane.
    Mailing directly, there is no error message but the message does not
    appear in the list anyway.

    Looking at Google groups, they want me to open an account just for
    posting. I do not intend to open a Google account.

    Is there a workaround to post in the mailing list?
    Is there non-Google access?
    Should I keep posting wxPython related topics here?

    Best Regards

    Martin
    , Sep 7, 2009

  2. On Sep 7, 2009, at 12:52 PM, wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Since I have been told in this group to post wxPython related topics
    > in
    > the wxPython-users mailing list instead of here, I just tried doing
    > that.
    >
    > However, I always get an error message back when using gmane.
    > Mailing directly, there is no error message but the message does not
    > appear in the list anyway.

    Did you subscribe to the mailing list before sending a message to it?
    Philip Semanchuk, Sep 7, 2009

    On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:04:39 -0400
    Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:

    > Did you subscribe to the mailing list before sending a message to it?

    I did not subscribe the gmane account when I tried out posting via
    gmane.

    I am pretty sure that I already subscribed to the group in the past.
    Nevertheless, I subscribed again (via e-mail). I got a validation e-mail
    that I confirmed but posting to the list still does result in no message
    appearing in the list. No error mail came back either.
    , Sep 7, 2009

    On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 22:51:47 +0200
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:04:39 -0400
    > Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:
    >
    > > Did you subscribe to the mailing list before sending a message to
    > > it?

    > I did not subscribe the gmane account when I tried out posting via
    > gmane.
    >
    > I am pretty sure that I already subscribed to the group in the past.
    > Nevertheless, I subscribed again (via e-mail). I got a validation
    > e-mail that I confirmed but posting to the list still does result in
    > no message appearing in the list. No error mail came back either.

    I just see that it worked now.
    Processing took a while, I guess.

    Sorry for the noise.

    Martin
    , Sep 7, 2009
  5. PythonAB Guest

    On 7 sep 2009, at 22:51, wrote:

    > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 13:04:39 -0400
    > Philip Semanchuk <> wrote:
    >
    >> Did you subscribe to the mailing list before sending a message to it?

    > I did not subscribe the gmane account when I tried out posting via
    > gmane.
    >
    > I am pretty sure that I already subscribed to the group in the past.
    > Nevertheless, I subscribed again (via e-mail). I got a validation e-
    > mail
    > that I confirmed but posting to the list still does result in no
    > message
    > appearing in the list. No error mail came back either.

    pfff You just woke me up too...!

    The list apperently changed to a google group list.
    Did i miss a warning or did they just change it without notice?

    I dont want to register with a google account,
    is there any way to use a non-gmail account?

    gr
    Arno
    PythonAB, Sep 7, 2009
  6. Neil Hodgson Guest

    PythonAB:

    > I dont want to register with a google account,
    > is there any way to use a non-gmail account?

    A Google account does not mean you have to use gmail. The Google
    account is used to handle your interaction with Google services and can
    be used in conjunction with arbitrary email accounts. Just create a
    Google account and set the email address to your preferred address.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Sep 8, 2009
  7. PythonAB Guest

    On 8 sep 2009, at 02:25, Neil Hodgson wrote:

    > PythonAB:
    >
    >> I dont want to register with a google account,
    >> is there any way to use a non-gmail account?

    > A Google account does not mean you have to use gmail. The Google
    > account is used to handle your interaction with Google services and
    > can
    > be used in conjunction with arbitrary email accounts. Just create a
    > Google account and set the email address to your preferred address.
    >
    > Neil

    No, but it means that more of my data goes into the same company.
    There's no way to use my own email accounts from my own domain,
    and I don't have a choice anymore.

    In other words, if i want to be able to get the wxPython list mail, I'm
    forced to use a google account, am I not? Is this the start of total
    control by google?

    Time to switch to QT then...

    gr
    Arno
    PythonAB, Sep 8, 2009
  8. Neil Hodgson Guest

    PythonAB:

    > No, but it means that more of my data goes into the same company.
    > There's no way to use my own email accounts from my own domain,
    > and I don't have a choice anymore.

    I just checked and it allowed me to use an account from my domain so
    I expect it will work with yours.

    > In other words, if i want to be able to get the wxPython list mail, I'm
    > forced to use a google account, am I not?

    Yes, just as you set up an account with a Mailman server when
    subscribing to a Mailman list.

    Neil
    Neil Hodgson, Sep 8, 2009
  9. On Sep 8, 2:14 am, PythonAB <> wrote:
    > On 8 sep 2009, at 02:25, Neil Hodgson wrote:
    >
    > > PythonAB:

    > >> I dont want to register with a google account,
    > >> is there any way to use a non-gmail account?

    > >   A Google account does not mean you have to use gmail. The Google
    > > account is used to handle your interaction with Google services and
    > > can
    > > be used in conjunction with arbitrary email accounts. Just create a
    > > Google account and set the email address to your preferred address.

    > >   Neil

    > No, but it means that more of my data goes into the same company.
    > There's no way to use my own email accounts from my own domain,
    > and I don't have a choice anymore.
    >
    > In other words, if i want to be able to get the wxPython list mail, I'm
    > forced to use a google account, am I not? Is this the start of total
    > control by google?

    You can use any email you want to join the wxPython list, just as you
    can do so with the Python list. You just send an email to wxPython-
    from whatever email address you want
    to use.

    And Robin Dunn sent out multiple notices about the switch and why he
    was doing it about a month before the switch.

    Mike Driscoll

    Blog: http://blog.pythonlibrary.org
    Mike Driscoll, Sep 8, 2009