How do I prevent IE Active Content warning message appearing?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Richard, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I have now finally got the JSCookMenu to work (hooray!)

    But every time I test it, my IE browser delivers an "Information Bar"
    warning about active content.

    The MS Help says "This message appears when a Web page on your computer
    tries to run a script or ActiveX control."

    I have tried setting Security to as low as possible, and enabling everything
    I can see in the internet zone security settings .... but I can't stop this
    warning from appearing.

    HOW can I stop it?

    NOTE please: I would prefer, if known, the MINIMUM security reduction
    needed to stop it - but if no one knows that then what more general settings
    do I need to change???

    As I've said above, the [Security] tab in settings seems not to affect
    things - even if I totally end IE and reload it.

    TIA

    Richard, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Richard

    Randy Webb Guest

    Richard said the following on 8/12/2005 6:42 PM:

    > I have now finally got the JSCookMenu to work (hooray!)

    From your post, obviously not.

    > But every time I test it, my IE browser delivers an "Information Bar"
    > warning about active content.
    >
    > The MS Help says "This message appears when a Web page on your computer
    > tries to run a script or ActiveX control."
    >
    > I have tried setting Security to as low as possible, and enabling everything
    > I can see in the internet zone security settings .... but I can't stop this
    > warning from appearing.
    >
    > HOW can I stop it?

    Stop using ActiveX controls.....

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Aug 13, 2005

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    > Richard said the following on 8/12/2005 6:42 PM:

    [..snipped...]
    >> I have tried setting Security to as low as possible, and enabling
    >> everything I can see in the internet zone security settings .... but I
    >> can't stop this warning from appearing.
    >>
    >> HOW can I stop it?

    > Stop using ActiveX controls.....

    Thanks for the reply.

    Could you please expand on how and where I may be using ActiveX controls in
    JSCookMenu and how I can stop using them?

    Richard, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Richard wrote:

    > But every time I test it, my IE browser delivers an "Information Bar"
    > warning about active content.
    >
    > The MS Help says "This message appears when a Web page on your computer
    > tries to run a script or ActiveX control."

    That is a new security feature in IE 6 under Windows XP Service Pack 2
    (sometimes called Windows XP SP 2) where the local file zone implements
    that restriction.
    You can do two things to avoid that prompt:
    1) install and run a local web server (e.g. IIS if you have Windows XP
    Professional or Apache for instance) to no longer load your pages from
    the file system (e.g. file:///C:/dir/subdir/file.html) but from the
    local web server instead (e.g.
    http://localhost/virtualdir/virtualsubdir/file.html).
    2) insert a so called mark of the web in your HTML documents:
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/motw.asp>
    That way IE treats your HTML documents as if they are loaded from the
    URL in the mark of the web.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Aug 13, 2005
  5. Richard

    Randy Webb Guest

    Richard said the following on 8/13/2005 6:15 AM:

    > "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Richard said the following on 8/12/2005 6:42 PM:

    > [..snipped...]
    >
    >>>I have tried setting Security to as low as possible, and enabling
    >>>everything I can see in the internet zone security settings .... but I
    >>>can't stop this warning from appearing.
    >>>
    >>>HOW can I stop it?

    >>Stop using ActiveX controls.....

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Could you please expand on how and where I may be using ActiveX controls in
    > JSCookMenu and how I can stop using them?

    Since I do not know, and honestly don't care, what JSCookMenu is, to
    answer you question is impossible.

    Since you say the browser issues an ActiveX warning, then you *must* be
    using an ActiveX control because otherwise the browser wouldn't issue
    the warning to start with.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Aug 13, 2005
  6. Richard

    Kimmo Laine Guest

    "Randy Webb" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...
    > Richard said the following on 8/13/2005 6:15 AM:
    >
    >> "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Richard said the following on 8/12/2005 6:42 PM:

    >> [..snipped...]

    >>>Stop using ActiveX controls.....

    >> Thanks for the reply.
    >>
    >> Could you please expand on how and where I may be using ActiveX controls
    >> in JSCookMenu and how I can stop using them?

    > Since I do not know, and honestly don't care, what JSCookMenu is, to
    > answer you question is impossible.
    >
    > Since you say the browser issues an ActiveX warning, then you *must* be
    > using an ActiveX control because otherwise the browser wouldn't issue the
    > warning to start with.

    Randy Webb, back to school. You have not learned one thing about boolean
    mathematics. What does OR mean? If a warning says: "a script _or_ ActiveX",
    does that mean that
    a) ActiveX *must* have been used.
    b) ActiveX has not been used.
    c) either a script or ActiveX has been used.

    Hint 1: It's not a.
    Hint 2: It's c.

    --
    SETI @ Home - Donate your cpu's idle time to science.