How do I remotely access Scheduled Tasks from Windows XP to Windows Server 2003?

Discussion in 'Python' started by kj7ny, Jun 29, 2007.

  1. kj7ny

    kj7ny Guest

    How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using
    Python?

    I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the
    win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows
    2003 servers. It works great.

    However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the
    scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then
    manipulate those task settings.

    At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then
    be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be
    better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that
    I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get.

    Thanks,

    kj7ny, Jun 29, 2007

  2. kj7ny

    Roger Upole Guest

    "kj7ny" wrote:
    > How can I access and manipulate Scheduled Tasks in Windows using
    > Python?
    >
    > I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the
    > win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows
    > 2003 servers. It works great.
    >
    > However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the
    > scheduled tasks (on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then
    > manipulate those task settings.
    >
    > At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then
    > be able to disable and re-enable those tasks at will. It would be
    > better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that
    > I could only disable selected tasks, but I'll any help I can get.
    >
    > Thanks,

    Pywin32 comes with a module that lets you do this, win32com.taskscheduler.
    You can use PyITaskScheduler.SetTargetComputer to access tasks on remote
    machines.

    Roger

    Roger Upole, Jun 30, 2007

  3. kj7ny

    kj7ny Guest

    On Jun 30, 10:55 am, "Roger Upole" <> wrote:
    > "kj7ny" wrote:
    > > How can I access and manipulateScheduledTasksin Windows using
    > > Python?

    > > I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the
    > > win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows
    > > 2003 servers. It works great.

    > > However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the
    > >scheduledtasks(on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then
    > > manipulate those task settings.

    > > At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then
    > > be able to disable and re-enable thosetasksat will. It would be
    > > better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that
    > > I could only disable selectedtasks, but I'll any help I can get.

    > > Thanks,

    > Pywin32 comes with a module that lets you do this, win32com.taskscheduler.
    > You can use PyITaskScheduler.SetTargetComputer to accesstaskson remote
    > machines.
    >
    > Roger

    I FINALLY found taskscheduler (with the help of your post). I found
    it under

    ...\Python243\Lib\site-packages\win32comext\taskscheduler

    .... and, there seems to be a /test/ directory with some examples.
    Haven't tried them yet, but they should get me started.

    Thanks,

    kj7ny, Jul 10, 2007
  4. kj7ny

    fynali Guest

    On Jul 10, 4:51 am, kj7ny <> wrote:
    > On Jun 30, 10:55 am, "Roger Upole" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "kj7ny" wrote:
    > > > How can I access and manipulateScheduledTasksin Windows using
    > > > Python?

    > > > I have a Windows XP workstation running Python 2.4.4 using the
    > > > win32all modules to control the windows services on multiple Windows
    > > > 2003 servers. It works great.

    > > > However, I also need to remotely collect the settings for the
    > > >scheduledtasks(on those same Windows 2003 servers) and then
    > > > manipulate those task settings.

    > > > At the very least, I need to find out which ones are enabled and then
    > > > be able to disable and re-enable thosetasksat will. It would be
    > > > better to be able to also detect the account each task runs as so that
    > > > I could only disable selectedtasks, but I'll any help I can get.

    > > > Thanks,

    > > Pywin32 comes with a module that lets you do this, win32com.taskscheduler.
    > > You can use PyITaskScheduler.SetTargetComputer to accesstaskson remote
    > > machines.

    > > Roger

    > > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    > I FINALLY found taskscheduler (with the help of your post). I found
    > it under
    >
    > ...\Python243\Lib\site-packages\win32comext\taskscheduler
    >
    > ... and, there seems to be a /test/ directory with some examples.
    > Haven't tried them yet, but they should get me started.
    >
    > Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

    kj7ny, could you post back here to learn from?

    Thanks.

    s|a fynali

    fynali, Jul 10, 2007