How do I reply a NNTP message?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by OttawaTrade, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. OttawaTrade

    OttawaTrade Guest

    I have been doing the
    use Net::NNTP;
    thing.

    I can post messages without problems. I am looking to build a gateway
    between newsgroups to guestbooks on my website, so I am interested in
    replying messages.

    I copied this from net:nntp:
    MSGNUM is a numeric id of an article in the current newsgroup, and will
    change the current article pointer.
    MSGID is the message id of an article as shown in that article's header. It
    is anticipated that the client will obtain the MSGID from a list provided by
    the newnews command, from references contained within another article, or
    from the message-id provided in the response to some other commands.

    I am kind of confused by MSGNUM and MSGID.

    I don't want the replies become a new thread. I want them to follow the
    prevous posted messages.

    Headers:

    OttawaTrade, Dec 6, 2005

  2. OttawaTrade

    Tintin Guest

    "Jamie" <> wrote in message
    > In: <>, "OttawaTrade"
    > <> wrote:
    >>I am kind of confused by MSGNUM and MSGID.

    > MSGID is the articles message ID.
    >
    >>I don't want the replies become a new thread. I want them to follow the
    >>prevous posted messages.

    > NNTP doesn't "know" about threading, client programs need to do this
    > themselves. One useful way (most servers support it) is to use the XOVER
    > command to fetch references.
    >
    > Basically, you need to do threading client-side.
    >
    > BTW, I'd strongly recommend against posting messages from a web site.

    Good point. Just look at the mess Google Groups has made of Usenet.

    Tintin, Dec 7, 2005