How do I run a Perl script as a Windows XP Service?

janicehwang1325

Hi all,

I would like to run my Perl script as the service in Windows XP. How do
achieve that? I heard that using Microsoft Management Console can
achieve that. However, read thru the help file of the MMC, i still do
not get how to create it. Do someone know how to start from the very
beginning step?

Thomas Kratz

Hi all,

I would like to run my Perl script as the service in Windows XP. How do
achieve that? I heard that using Microsoft Management Console can
achieve that. However, read thru the help file of the MMC, i still do
not get how to create it. Do someone know how to start from the very
beginning step?

I don't know what is meant by the answer given under:

http://tinyurl.com/rd6vy

I have no idea how to create a service from a script with MMC.

You may have better success with either googling for 'srvany.exe' from M$
or better IMHO using the module Win32::Daemon to create a native service.

Have a look at Win32::Daemon::Simple. It sits on top of Win32::Daemon to
make the process much easier for you.

Thomas

--
$/=$,,$_=<DATA>,s,(.*),$1,see;__END__
s,^(.*\043),,mg,@_=map{[split'']}split;{#>J~.>_an~>>e~......>r~

zentara

Hi all,

I would like to run my Perl script as the service in Windows XP. How do
achieve that? I heard that using Microsoft Management Console can
achieve that. However, read thru the help file of the MMC, i still do
not get how to create it. Do someone know how to start from the very
beginning step?

Personally I don't use Win32, but check out these:

http://perlmonks.org?node_id=522586

http://perlmonks.org?node_id=251168

http://perlmonks.org?node_id=338496

or do yourself a favor, and ask there.

janicehwang1325

Thanks for the reply. I had tried to implemet Win32::Daemon::Simple
into my script. However, the service could not be started. I dunno what
is the reason. I try to debug and found out that the program and be
runned if i run it manually in cmd.exe using perl client.pl. however,
the program will close when i close cmd.exe.

I wil trying the other websites that others give. Anyway, thanks a lot.
I fould out that MMC is just for CGI- Perl script whereby you can map
the CGI script to the IIS and use MMC to implement it as service.