How do I scale large Ruby web applications?

Sascha Ebach

Hi there,

I plan to do a fairly large (how large depends on the commercial
success) project that will be programmed completely in Ruby. I can't
talk about the specifics right now, but to give you an idea it will be
something like David Heinemeier Hansson's Basecamp except that it will
not have anything to do with project management, so no direct
competition (it will be completely german project anyway). If I remember
correctly I read somewhere in his blog that basecamp is a medium sized
project, so
when I say -large- project I actually mean a project which will start
out small and depending on the commercial success could get a very large
user base. At least that is what I am hoping for :) It could of course
completely fail, only time will tell.

I would like to ask a couple of questions on the scalability of these
kinds of web projects. I was thinking of writing to David directly but I
was hoping that if he (and others with that kind of experience) answers
my questions on the list everybody could profit from that.

Following are my conceptions of what I heard or have read about Ruby. If
I am wrong with any of these, don't hesitate to correct me.

In my understanding the biggest problem in scaling Ruby (cpu wise) is
that it doesn't have native thread support, yet. What this means in
terms of a web application is that if you only have let's say 30
concurrent users on a fairly new piece of Hardware this is not a
problem. But what happens if your site suddenly gets very popular and
you jump from 20 to 200 or even 2000 concurrent users? How do you scale
such a web app? If you were to program this web app in Java or any other
language which supports native threads you could simply throw more cpus
and ram at it. I am thinking of a blade server here. The more users you
get you simply stick another blade in your server and have your piece of
mind. As I understand it you cannot do something like that with Ruby.
Enter Distributed Ruby (DRb).

As Martin Fowler states in his first law of distributed object design:
Don't distribute your objects!
<http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?FirstLawOfDistributedObjectDesign>

Things can really get hairy when getting distributed. All kinds of
things can go wrong. IMO it is kinda like the step from single threaded
programming to multi threaded programming or worse. So it is always a
good thing if you can avoid it. I can't even start to think about how I
would (unit) test such a beast but as of now I don't see any real
alternatives for scaling a Ruby app. Of course when done right it has
many many benefits. One is that you can buy the cheapest hardware and
plug them together like Google is doing it, but Google seems to have an
armada of excellent programmers (so it seems) to handle the pontentially
very difficult distributed stuff. I am only a single (maybe a little
over ambitious) programmer. I have seen a couple of very nice and simple
examples in drb (from Dave Thomas for example), but would you really
advise using drb for some big time commercial web app?

I would be very curious what kind of strategy 37signals has with their
Basecamp. Maybe David can elaborate on that if it is not a big secret. I
am very eager to hear about specific choices from anyone who has
similiar experience.

- What kind of hardware are you using?
- Where are the biggest performance bottlenecks in your environment?
- What is your hardware upgrade path in case active user numbers go
through the roof?
- What kind of httpd do you use?
- What kind of framework are you using?

Thanks

Robert Klemme

In my understanding the biggest problem in scaling Ruby (cpu wise) is
that it doesn't have native thread support, yet. What this means in
terms of a web application is that if you only have let's say 30
concurrent users on a fairly new piece of Hardware this is not a
problem. But what happens if your site suddenly gets very popular and
you jump from 20 to 200 or even 2000 concurrent users? How do you scale
such a web app? If you were to program this web app in Java or any other
language which supports native threads you could simply throw more cpus
and ram at it.

Not necessarily: typically a queue based approach is used: incoming
requests go into a queue from which a fixed (or limited) number of
processors fetch them and process them. That way you prevent the thread
creation overhead plus you avoid system overload due to too many threads
(native or not) and congestion due to resource bottlenecks (too many
clients that want to use the same resource).

The problem with performance is that you normally have to try and measure
to see whether it's ok or not. And of course it heavily depends on the
algorithms and kind of application at hand. I'd say without more
information about these it's impossible to say offhand whether Ruby will
deliver or not.

Kind regards

robert

Lothar Scholz

Hello Sascha,

Monday, April 26, 2004, 9:41:20 AM, you wrote:

SE> Hi there,

I don't know what the application does that you mention in your
posting, but the best way to scale ruby web apps is to use numerous
external started FCGI servers and use the session id to bind to the
same user to the same FCGI server. If you don't have extremely high
interuser interaction this would simplify your life. It can also
reduce your database load a lot and make HTML-GUI implementation
easier. The most complicated thing is to get this configuration up and
running - and it does not work good with load balancers.

So i'm afraid that nobody can give you a good hint. You have to find
the best architekture to your special application on your own.
Starting from using DNS round robin load balancing to one high end
multi-cpu server running dozens of FCGI servers everything is possible.

The first thing would be to check if ruby is really what you want. Do
you have the libraries you need for your project, are they stable
(write some burn-in tests here, for example REXML has some extremely
annoying performance bugs) and then do some benchmarking. Then think
about design.

David Heinemeier Hansson

I would be very curious what kind of strategy 37signals has with their
Basecamp. Maybe David can elaborate on that if it is not a big secret.
I am very eager to hear about specific choices from anyone who has
similiar experience.

Like Lothar says, it depends on your application. Basecamp has fairly
complex relations in the domain model, but our load isn't that high
because each site is only used by a firm and a client, which is usually
less than 10 people. That would be unlike some high-load e-commerce
site that needs to be accessible to the world. So we're blessed in that
way.

Hence, our current approach is mod_ruby/mysql on a single box. We're
just in the process of making that single box of stronger iron, but
that's definitely the easiest way. Stay on a single box as long as you
can. Next, move the database to a separate machine. Then start thinking
about scaling the application server. (Or you may start thinking
beforehand as you do now, just no need to commit the dollars)

Our strategy for scaling the application server is also to go the FCGI
route. Basecamp works more like a PHP app than a Java app on that
point, so state is only kept in the database (and currently
CGI::Session on the file system, but that's easy to move to either
database or shared DRb server). That means the database handles all the
synchronizing and we can just add more application servers (running
FCGI) as the load increases. When the database needs scaling, I hear
MySQL is also very much up for that job.

The biggest bottleneck is rendering templates in Ruby. We're currently
just using vanilla ERb with no template caching and we feel that on
complex templates.

But all of this ties into your business model as well. It needs to be
profitable to add additional hardware. In the case of Basecamp, it's
very much so. More customers directly equals more revenue, which makes
expanding the server park no problem at all.

Basecamp is running Ruby on Rails[1] with Apache/mod_ruby. As I said,
it'll probably be running on FCGI before long as we look at add another
application server.

COMMERCIAL: If you happen to be in Chicago on June 25th, we'll be
realing all about Basecamp and Rails in a one-day workshop. There's
more information on http://www.37signals.com/workshop-062504.php.

[1] http://www.rubyonrails.org

Dan Janowski

[...]

Distributing objects is one thing, but using drb as a request/response
and control protocol is what I am considering at the moment. I was
thinking of FCGI, but it is all or nothing in the sense that it forces
the whole hit service out of Apache. But a considerable amount of cgi
processing is not session dependent and is more appropriate in the
Apache side (I use mod_ruby). Separating non-web application logic from
cgi/web processing is one way to efficiently distribute the load.

Dan

Lothar Scholz

Hello Dan,

Tuesday, April 27, 2004, 7:19:44 AM, you wrote:

DJ> Distributing objects is one thing, but using drb as a request/response
DJ> and control protocol is what I am considering at the moment. I was
DJ> thinking of FCGI, but it is all or nothing in the sense that it forces
DJ> the whole hit service out of Apache. But a considerable amount of cgi
DJ> processing is not session dependent and is more appropriate in the
DJ> Apache side (I use mod_ruby). Separating non-web application logic from
DJ> cgi/web processing is one way to efficiently distribute the load.

Does apache never use threading inside one of the preforked apache
processes ? I thought 2.0 is doing this by default, even on Unix.

And you should measure if enabling threading reduces the overhead more
then FCGI is adding.

By the way if you have your own webserver (so you don't need all the
flexible configuration features of apache) then you should never use
apache if performance is important. Apache is not a very fast
webserver. A lot of other servers give you twice the responds then
apache (or even more if apache is not configured correctly).

Sascha Ebach

Thanks for all the comments so far. They are really helping.

Let me elaborate a little more. In the comments I read interesting ideas
I want to go into a little more.

Robert said:
The problem with performance is that you normally have to try and
measure to see whether it's ok or not. And of course it heavily
depends on the algorithms and kind of application at hand. I'd say
without more information about these it's impossible to say offhand
whether Ruby will deliver or not.

I know that. You only going to really know the moment your service gets
used. Still you have to find a good scalable approach to begin with to
minimize the chances of rewriting everything. And I also know that
premature optimization is a bad thing. But blindly doing anything that
works can be equally problematic in the future.

We are currently in the planning stages writing the use cases. And if I
would have to compare what the system will have to do I would probably
have to say it will be a lot like ebay. Except that it will have nothing
to do with auctions. We are not that crazy ;) Ppl will be able to put
there profiles in, upload pictures and descriptions of their objects,
search the database for these objects, communicate over the system about
these objects. Those are the basics. So from the viewpoint of what you
will be able to do I see that it is pretty similiar to the basic things
you can do on ebay. I hope that clears things up a little more.

Robert also states that typically (in web applications?) a queue based
approach is used. That sounds very interesting. Not only that you can
circumvent threads which is always good if possible but I can imagine
that such a system would be fairly easy to implement. The thing I am
wondering about is the response times. While you can have
progress bars in a desktop app you really can't afford to let the
user wait in a web app. It would probably take a while before that
happens on newer hardware, but this was exactly my point. In the event
you are so lucky that ppl get crazy about your service and you really
get more visitors than anticipated even a queue based solution has to
scale. I cannot imagine how to do that so I have to give it more
thought. Maybe such a system can be implemted in such a way that it can
be easily scaled with new (upgrading) hardware? I could imagine a queue
based system that forwards its items to a distributed network of
computers via DRb...

Lothar said:
The best way to scale ruby web apps is to use numerous external
started FCGI servers and use the session id to bind to the same user
to the same FCGI server. If you don't have extremely high interuser
interaction this would simplify your life. It can also reduce your
database load a lot and make HTML-GUI implementation easier. The most
complicated thing is to get this configuration up and running - and
it does not work good with load balancers.

You seem to speak out of experience. Could you elaborate a little more
or maybe point me into a direction where I can read a more about this
technique? I will read about FCGI because others have mentioned it too.
The reason I haven't already done so, is that from a PHP perspective you
wouldn't bother to use CGI because of the process duplication which
slows down things considerably. mod_php is a lot more stable and
complete than mod_ruby at the moment. I must investigate more in this
option. One other thing I wonder about is when you say that it is
complicated to set up. It sounds to me that this technique is like
distributed processes in contrast to distributed services on different
machines. With the advantage of being able to scale the hardware on one
machine.
The first thing would be to check if ruby is really what you want. Do
you have the libraries you need for your project, are they stable

I don't know if there are any really stable and mature libraries for
Ruby in comparison to Java libraries. At first I thought it would be a
good idea
to write everything myself so I could keep the system as small as
possible. But
I have come to realize that this may be not the optimal approach. At the
moment I think it would be a better idea to use one of the available
frameworks and contribute to them rather than rewrite my own. That way I
can give something back to the open source community which is long
overdue for me (using open source stuff all the time). At the moment my
favourite framework is Cerise (http://cerise.rubyforge.org/) as it is
the most elegant solution I have encountered so far (not only for Ruby).
I have done some
preliminary tests with Cerise and the functionality I want to implement
will be a snap to do so with this framework. Will Glozer the project
maintainer seems to be very experienced and still working alone on this
wonderful piece of software. I would like to join that project (or any
other) if it turns out to be the right one for my purposes. But I
haven't made my final
decision, yet. I still have to really test a couple of the other
frameworks that were mentioned on this list earlier, including the soon
(?) to be released rails. The project will span from June 2004 to March
2005, so
there is still some time.
Stay on a single box as long as you can. Next, move the database to a
separate machine. Then start thinking about scaling the application
server. (Or you may start thinking beforehand as you do now, just no
need to commit the dollars)

That was the idea. First the database, then the images on a another
machine (maybe with a fast webserver and logging turned off).
COMMERCIAL: If you happen to be in Chicago on June 25th, we'll be
realing all about Basecamp and Rails in a one-day workshop. There's
more information on http://www.37signals.com/workshop-062504.php.

Yeah, I read all about that. Two weeks ago our first child was born so I
am a little tied at the moment. I would have probably come to Denmark
for your
presentation, but because of these new "circumstances" I really cannot.
I wonder if anyone would be able to record your session on video and
offer it for download via torrent or so, maybe you?

Kirk Haines: I really like the way you described the scaling process.
That seems like a viable possibility I must investigate. I have just
started reading about IOWA and have yet to really check it out. I only
know roughly what it is, but not what it can do for me. Very
interesting.

Dan said:
Distributing objects is one thing, but using drb as a
request/response and control protocol is what I am considering at the
moment. I was thinking of FCGI, but it is all or nothing in the sense
that it forces the whole hit service out of Apache. But a
considerable amount of cgi processing is not session dependent and is
more appropriate in the Apache side (I use mod_ruby). Separating
non-web application logic from cgi/web processing is one way to
efficiently distribute the load.

It seems like I will have to weigh those two options against each other.
I think once you have a running DRb system on one machine it should be a
snap to just add other machines to the system. If you first go the FCGI
route you will have to leave it sooner or later. The problem is with
development time. A distributed system can be so much harder to
implement, remember the HURD? http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/

Lothar Scholz added:
By the way if you have your own webserver (so you don't need all the
flexible configuration features of apache) then you should never use
apache if performance is important. Apache is not a very fast
webserver. A lot of other servers give you twice the responds then
apache (or even more if apache is not configured correctly).

That sounds good. I was hoping to be able to use a built-in server like
Cerise offers. What would really be nice if someone with the right
skills would implement a webserver as a barebones c-module. Or maybe
somehow integrating one of the available webservers like
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/rws/ or any other. Ideally something
that would work with Webrick and making it faster. Apache is not really
fast but Webrick or any other Ruby implementation is by far slower.
Anyone heard of such a project? My c-skills are really not mentionable.
I never came around to actually write anything in c although I have
already read 3 or 4 books about the languags (just in case).

Thanks again for all your replies.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Sascha,

SE> You seem to speak out of experience. Could you elaborate a little more

I was responsible for a complete crash of AOL Germany and a 3 days
crash of Compuserve Germany :) Since this early days i learned a lot of how
to not write/setup a huge content management system and that a rich company
like AOL has only 4 pizza boxes each with one 266 MHz to serve everything.

SE> or maybe point me into a direction where I can read a more about this
SE> technique? I will read about FCGI because others have mentioned it too.
SE> The reason I haven't already done so, is that from a PHP perspective you
SE> wouldn't bother to use CGI because of the process duplication which
SE> slows down things considerably. mod_php is a lot more stable and
SE> complete than mod_ruby at the moment. I must investigate more in this
SE> option. One other thing I wonder about is when you say that it is
SE> complicated to set up. It sounds to me that this technique is like
SE> distributed processes in contrast to distributed services on different
SE> machines. With the advantage of being able to scale the hardware on one
SE> machine.

FCGI has nothing to do with CGI except 3 letters. It is an application
server and mod_fastcgi will send request data via a socket connection
to the FCGI server - it can automatically start and stop the FCGI
application server, but in a lot of cases this is not done very
gratefully.

mod_fastcgi + ruby FCGI is faster then mod_ruby. And it will not
result in an overflow of apaches incoming socket connection queue.
You get the mentioned queue system for free.

If you move away from apache, as i mentionend in another thread, you
can get better performance, especially the mod_fastcgi module does not
support everything that is in the specification. There are commerical
servers that are much better.

SE> I don't know if there are any really stable and mature libraries for
SE> Ruby in comparison to Java libraries. At first I thought it would be a
SE> good idea
SE> to write everything myself so I could keep the system as small as
SE> possible.

Every programmer first think it is better to do everything on its own.
Maybe a reason why only 16% of all IT projects are successful.

Sascha Ebach

Hello Lothar,
If you move away from apache, as i mentionend in another thread, you
can get better performance, especially the mod_fastcgi module does not
support everything that is in the specification. There are commerical
servers that are much better.

I was going to ask you if you would recommend one, but I see there are
lots of servers mentioned on http://www.fastcgi.com. Nevertheless ...

Thanks

Ara.T.Howard

You seem to speak out of experience. Could you elaborate a little more or
maybe point me into a direction where I can read a more about this
technique? I will read about FCGI because others have mentioned it too.

it's the cat's meow:

go to

http://www.rubygarden.org/

and search for 'fastcgi'. there is some good info there.

The reason I haven't already done so, is that from a PHP perspective you
wouldn't bother to use CGI because of the process duplication which slows
down things considerably. mod_php is a lot more stable and complete than
mod_ruby at the moment. I must investigate more in this option. One other
thing I wonder about is when you say that it is complicated to set up. It
sounds to me that this technique is like distributed processes in contrast
to distributed services on different machines. With the advantage of being
able to scale the hardware on one machine.

fcgi is a protocol by which a web server can forward a running program a
request via pipes OR sockets - eg. a fcgi process can live on another MACHINE
as the server and still answer requests. basically it just serializes a web
request (env, query, post data) etc. in a way that can be easily demultiplexed
by the application (require 'fcgi' does this for you can hands you a cgi
object populated with this data. going to other way is even easier, you
simply write to stdout as you would with a normal cgi program and mod_fastcgi
process on the other end demutiplexes this output as the response for a
particular request. so you see, it really does HAVE to be like cgi at all;
fortunately for us though it is, and because it is it's a peice of cake to use
existing code and libraries:

cgi program that prints env:

~ > cat env.cgi
#!/usr/local/ruby-1.8.0/bin/ruby
require 'cgi'
require 'fcgi'
FCGI.each_cgi do |cgi|
content = ''
env = []
cgi.env_table.each do |k,v|
env << [k,v]
end
env.sort!
env.each do |k,v|
content << %Q(#{k} => #{v}<br>\n)
end
cgi.out{content}
end

and a fcgi program which does the same:

~ > cat env.fcgi
#!/usr/local/ruby-1.8.0/bin/ruby
require 'cgi'
require 'fcgi'
FCGI.each_cgi do |cgi|
content = ''
env = []
cgi.env_table.each do |k,v|
env << [k,v]
end
env.sort!
env.each do |k,v|
content << %Q(#{k} => #{v}<br>\n)
end
cgi.out{content}
end

you may have noticed that these are the SAME program: that's because they are!
based on the characteristics of STDIN (pipe/socket or not) a fastcgi process
can determine whether or not it is running in a fastcgi environment: therefore
you can write your apps as a cgi program and they will work unmodified as
fastcgi programs! why would you do this? well, for one:

[ahoward@www htdocs]$ ab http://127.0.0.1/env.cgi | grep 'Requests per second'
Requests per second: 9.86 [#/sec] (mean)

[ahoward@www htdocs]$ ab http://127.0.0.1/env.fcgi | grep 'Requests per second'
Requests per second: 179.18 [#/sec] (mean)

two orders of magnitude!

as mentioned above, sometimes re-starting a fastcgi process is toublesome
(mildly) because apache can manage a pool of such processes (configurable) so
you need to kill all of them to make sure you changes are propogated to all
clients - what i typically do is simply 'ln -s foo.fcgi foo.cgi'. therefore i
can view

http://127.0.0.1/foo.cgi

while developing and see changes instantly. when i'm ready i redeploy the
application. one easy way to do this is to code your process so you can

http://127.0.0.1/foo.cgi?reload=true

in which case the process simply exits (apache will restart it again for you).
obviously this should not work from remote machines!

I don't know if there are any really stable and mature libraries for Ruby in
comparison to Java libraries.

these seem stable:
- fcgi
- amrita
- kwartz
That was the idea. First the database, then the images on a another machine
(maybe with a fast webserver and logging turned off).

with fastcgi you can move image.cgi and db.cgi to another sever by themselves
without even a web server!
Yeah, I read all about that. Two weeks ago our first child was born so I am
a little tied at the moment.

congrats.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| URL :: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/
| TRY :: for l in ruby perl;do $l -e "print \"\x3a\x2d\x29\x0a\"";done

Robert Klemme

(selective reply)

Sascha Ebach said:
[...]

I wasn't clear enough: I meant to say in webservers. Tomcat for example
has a thread pool (whose min and max size is configurable). The start
with min size and increase the number of threads if needed and until max
is reached.
That sounds very interesting. Not only that you can
circumvent threads

You don't circumvent threads but you remove the overhead of thread
creation - which is significant if processing times are low.
which is always good if possible but I can imagine
that such a system would be fairly easy to implement.

Yeah, not really a big deal. (see attached example)
The thing I am
wondering about is the response times. While you can have
progress bars in a desktop app you really can't afford to let the
user wait in a web app. It would probably take a while before that
happens on newer hardware, but this was exactly my point. In the event
you are so lucky that ppl get crazy about your service and you really
get more visitors than anticipated even a queue based solution has to
scale. I cannot imagine how to do that so I have to give it more
thought.

Well, you have the response time problem either way - i.e. with threads
per request as well as with tasks distributed via a queue. The advantage
of the pool based approach is, that you can configure the max number of
threads to the max reasonable for the system at hand and thus ensure that
those requests that don't time out are processed with reasonable
performance.
Maybe such a system can be implemted in such a way that it can
be easily scaled with new (upgrading) hardware? I could imagine a queue
based system that forwards its items to a distributed network of
computers via DRb...

You mean a load balancing frontend that distributes requests among other
hosts? Yeah, that's possible. And you can buy such solutions out of the
box without additional ruby programming.

Regards

robert

Lothar Scholz

Hello Ara.T.Howard,

ATH> [ahoward@www htdocs]$ ab http://127.0.0.1/env.cgi | grep 'Requests per second'
ATH> Requests per second: 9.86 [#/sec] (mean)

ATH> [ahoward@www htdocs]$ ab http://127.0.0.1/env.fcgi | grep 'Requests per second'
ATH> Requests per second: 179.18 [#/sec] (mean)

ATH> two orders of magnitude!

Just nitpicking, but this is a little bit more then one order of
magniture. But from my tests i can confirm this difference if your
page is not completely database bound.

ATH> these seem stable:
ATH> - fcgi
ATH> - kwartz
ATH> - amrita

Not 100% stable, you have to use some workarounds and more worse you
have to find the places for the workarounds. But it is useable in a
production environment, if performance is not the primary goal.

I would add clearsilver to the lists, but i must admit that i never
got it compiled on my windows machine: http://www.clearsilver.net/

Sascha Ebach

thanks again for all these awesome hints.

I read the docs and whitepapers on FastCGI on fastcgi.com and have a
better understanding of what FastCGI is. It sounds very interesting even
for using with php. As I understand it, it allows you to run different
versions of php (or whatever) althogether. Might be nice to have an
apache with ruby, php4 and php5 in parallel.
I didn't even suspect that fcgi processes can even run on different
machines. Now I have something to really try.

Thanks Robert that really cleared it up for me. I knew of threadpools
but I slightly ;) misunderstood you the first time.

Kirk, that indeed seems like a good starting point for the
documentation. Whenever I get around testing IOWA (and I will when I am
not so pressed for time anymore) I will likely ask questions. Don't
expect this before June though.

Lothar, last time I checked your website the Ruby IDE wasn't ready yet.
I just installed the preview release and I am looking forward to testing
it. It looks great on first look. I will test if it can replace my
beloved vim.
It seems rather confusing though that when you click on download for the
php or python version you land on the ruby download page.
http://www.scriptolutions.com/download_php.php. I am looking forward to
see these editors mature.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Sascha,

SE> Lothar, last time I checked your website the Ruby IDE wasn't ready yet.
SE> I just installed the preview release and I am looking forward to testing
SE> it. It looks great on first look. I will test if it can replace my
SE> beloved vim.

Danke. Ich freue mich über jeden Bug Report :)

Du solltest schon im CGI's den Debugger out of the box benutzen können
wenn du als project type "Fuby CGI based Website" angibts, dann wird im
Hintergrund ein Apache gestartet und alle Preview Kommandos (d.h. F9
oder das web debug icon in der toolbar) laufen dann über den Browser, an einen
Proxy und von dort zum Apache,
von dort über ein launcher.exe file auf das Ruby CGI, ein langer weg
aber es ist ja fürs Debugging mit einem request pro sekunde. :)

Ansonsten hab ich gerade noch 2 fatale Bugs im Debugger gefixt (du
weisst schon die ersten 2 Wochen, gibts jeden Tag fatale Bugfixes),
wenn du also TDSL oder ISH hast, dann solltest du morgen nochmal
downloaden. Bin dann ab Freitag für 3 Wochen erstmal im Urlaub und
kann keine Uploads dieser Grösse mehr in meinem kleinen Bergdorf an
der Thailändisch/Burmesischen Grenze machen.

SE> It seems rather confusing though that when you click on download for the
SE> php or python version you land on the ruby download page.
SE> http://www.scriptolutions.com/download_php.php. I am looking forward to
SE> see these editors mature.

Dauert leider noch etwas, na ja bei meinen Freunden lerne ich ja
buddistische gelassenheit - sehr wichtig das bei der Software
Entwicklung nicht zu vergessen.

Sascha Ebach

Hallo Lothar,
Bin dann ab Freitag für 3 Wochen erstmal im Urlaub und
kann keine Uploads dieser Grösse mehr in meinem kleinen Bergdorf an
der Thailändisch/Burmesischen Grenze machen.

Wow, dir gehört ein ganzes Bergdorf? Vielleicht sollte ich auch lieber
in die IDE Entwicklung einsteigen ;)
Dauert leider noch etwas, na ja bei meinen Freunden lerne ich ja
buddistische gelassenheit - sehr wichtig das bei der Software
Entwicklung nicht zu vergessen.

Ich freu mich darauf. Einen schönen Urlaub wünsche ich.

Lothar Scholz

LS> Danke. Ich freue mich über jeden Bug Report :)

Sorry for this german posting, it was intended to be a private email
to Sascha.

Nick Van Weerdenburg

This is very common is J2EE architectures with the Apache/Tomcat web
app tier, and the EJB Container business logic tier. While RMI has some
cost, it's less then expected, especially in the context of the
business logic being the main factor for scalability. That said, a
poorly designed webapp->businesslogic interface would generate too much
RMI chatter and cause issues. However, a high-level cohesive high-level
business transaction interface to the business logic tier makes RMI
very workable, and it's also good design. And now that the business
logic is out-of-process and you have a lot of scalability/clustering
options.