how do I troubleshoot this System.Net.Sockets.SocketException?

PJ6

I can't figure this out. I have several references to style sheets and
javascript files in my page header, the contents of which are served
dynamically by my httphandler that serves *.res requests. The handler works
most of the time, but occasionally the page load hangs on the loading of the
last .res reference for a javascript file (Fiddler shows me this), and when
I stop the load in the browser, I get this error message:

A first chance exception of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException'
occurred in System.dll

This is not something that is trappable in my HttpRequestHandler. Also, it
doesn't seem to matter if my handler is synchronous or asynchronous.

I don't even know how to troubleshoot this since I can't trap it in my own
code, and Google isn't helpful. Help?

Paul

bruce barker

when you stop the load, it closes the connection which causes the error.
your code is hanging and you need to figure why.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

PJ6

The hanging occurs only after execution has left my handler, and I have
verified this with breakpoints. When I pause execution on the hang
condition, I only get "how disassembly". It may or may not be my code - but
again, it's not clear to me how to diagnose the problem.

Paul

Flinky Wisty Pomm

Doe this behaviour occur when Fiddler isn't running?

I only ask because I once spent days hunting for a SocketException
that was caused by Fiddler while I was tracing for another problem.

PJ6

Unfortunately yes.

Paul

Flinky Wisty Pomm said:
Doe this behaviour occur when Fiddler isn't running?

I only ask because I once spent days hunting for a SocketException
that was caused by Fiddler while I was tracing for another problem.

PJ6

I just discovered that IE6 on my machine has a hanging problem not limited
to my project.

I thought to test for this after it threw a BSOD at me. Time for a fresh
installation of Windows.

Paul