How do i use an ArrayList to store scores and add up scores

Discussion in 'Java' started by judith, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. judith

    judith Guest

    hi, I'm needing help with a program that i don't understand how to
    store 7 ArrayList scores and sum them up. the program instructions are
    as follows.

    This program calculates the scores for a contest in diving. The highest
    and lowest scores are throwm out. The remaining are added together and
    the sum is multiplyed by the degree of difficulty and 0.6. This program
    uses and ArrayList to hold the seven scores and then scans the array
    for the position of the largest and smallest scores.These positons are
    then ignored in computing the sum of the scores.

    here is the program and the compile errors that i'm getting. When i use
    scores = keyboardnextDouble(); to enter the scores it won't work and
    i'm wondering how to write the program so i can enter the scores and
    store them. I would appreciate any help that i could get. thank Judith

    //Author: Judith Spurlock

    import java.util.ArrayList;
    import java.util.Scanner;

    //fill in code

    public class program5JS
    {
    public static void main(String[]args)
    {
    ArrayList<Double> scores = new ArrayList<Double>();
    int posMinScore, posMaxScore;
    double sum = 0;
    double difficulty;
    double finalScore;
    int i;
    Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);

    //Input data values

    System.out.println("Enter the degree of difficulty for the dive
    (1.2-3.8).");
    difficulty = keyboard.nextDouble();

    //Input judges scores

    for (i = 1; i <= 7; i++)
    {
    System.out.println("Enter score for judge " + i + " (0-10).");
    scores = keyboard.nextDouble();

    //Find position of min score
    posMinScore = 0;
    for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    {
    if(scores.get(i) < scores.get(posMinScore))
    posMinScore = i;
    }
    scores.remove(posMinScore)

    //Find position of max score
    posMaxScore = 0;
    for(i = 1; i > scores.size(); i++)
    {
    if(scores.get(i) > scores.get(posMaxScore))
    posMaxScore = i;
    }
    scores.remove(posMaxScore)//doesn't work how do i use the Array list
    to store the scores?

    //sum scores
    for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    {
    // fill in code
    }

    //Calculate total score
    finalScore = difficulty * sum * 0.6;
    System.out.println("The diver's final score is " + finalScore;

    This is part of what it should look like but i don't know how to input
    the scores in an ArrayList and sum them up

    C:\>java program5JS
    Enter the degree of difficulty for the dive (1.2-3.8).
    1.2
    Enter score for judge 1 (0-10).
    2
    Enter score for judge 2 (0-10).
    4
    Enter score for judge 3 (0-10).
    5
    Enter score for judge 4 (0-10).
    7
    Enter score for judge 5 (0-10).
    8
    Enter score for judge 6 (0-10).
    6
    Enter score for judge 7 (0-10).
    5

    Theese are the compile errors

    C:\>javac program5JS.java
    program5JS.java:31: incompatible types
    found : double
    required: java.util.ArrayList<java.lang.Double>
    scores = keyboard.nextDouble();
    ^
    1 error

    C:\>javac program5JS.java
    program5JS.java:38: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    posMinScore = 0;
    ^
    program5JS.java:39: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    ^
    program5JS.java:48: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    for(i = 1; i > scores.size(); i++)
    ^
    3 errors

    judith, Nov 15, 2006

  2. judith

    Ye Dafeng Guest

    judith wrote:
> [...]
    > Enter score for judge 5 (0-10).
    > 8
    > Enter score for judge 6 (0-10).
    > 6
    > Enter score for judge 7 (0-10).
    > 5
    >
    > Theese are the compile errors
    >
    > C:\>javac program5JS.java
    > program5JS.java:31: incompatible types
    > found : double
    > required: java.util.ArrayList<java.lang.Double>
    > scores = keyboard.nextDouble();
    > ^
    > 1 error
    >
    > C:\>javac program5JS.java
    > program5JS.java:38: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    > posMinScore = 0;
    > ^
    > program5JS.java:39: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    > for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    > ^
    > program5JS.java:48: 'class' or 'interface' expected

    I think you can use BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new
    InputStreamReader(System.in)) to read the input;
    then, you can use the insert-sort algorithm to store the input data (I
    suggest you use the LinkedList).

    Ye Dafeng, Nov 16, 2006

  3. judith wrote:
    > hi, I'm needing help with a program that i don't understand how to
    > store 7 ArrayList scores and sum them up. the program instructions are
    > as follows.
    >
    > This program calculates the scores for a contest in diving. The highest
    > and lowest scores are throwm out. The remaining are added together and
    > the sum is multiplyed by the degree of difficulty and 0.6. This program
    > uses and ArrayList to hold the seven scores and then scans the array
    > for the position of the largest and smallest scores.These positons are
    > then ignored in computing the sum of the scores.
    >
    > here is the program and the compile errors that i'm getting. When i use
    > scores = keyboardnextDouble(); to enter the scores it won't work and
    > i'm wondering how to write the program so i can enter the scores and
    > store them. I would appreciate any help that i could get. thank Judith

    Do you understand the meaning of the error? You are trying to assign the
    result of keyboard.nextDouble() to an variable of type ArrayList.

    First thing, read the ArrayList documentation. To follow the
    instructions literally you will probably need add and get.

    Split up the task. You need to get data into an ArrayList, so practice
    putting scores you make up in one. When you can do that, try using
    scores you get from the console.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 16, 2006
  4. judith

    judith Guest

    judith wrote:
> [...]
    > Enter score for judge 5 (0-10).
    > 8
    > Enter score for judge 6 (0-10).
    > 6
    > Enter score for judge 7 (0-10).
    > 5
    >
    > Theese are the compile errors
    >
    > C:\>javac program5JS.java
    > program5JS.java:31: incompatible types
    > found : double
    > required: java.util.ArrayList<java.lang.Double>
    > scores = keyboard.nextDouble();
    > ^
    > 1 error
    >
    > C:\>javac program5JS.java
    > program5JS.java:38: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    > posMinScore = 0;
    > ^
    > program5JS.java:39: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    > for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    > ^
    > program5JS.java:48: 'class' or 'interface' expected

    I'm not understanding the error messages either can anyone suggest or
    help in explaining what class or interface expected means? and i'm
    still not understanding how to store the scores in an arrayList when
    entering them into the computer or how to add them up

    these are the new errors

    C:\>javac program5JS.java
    program5JS.java:40: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    posMinScore = 0;
    ^
    program5JS.java:41: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    ^
    program5JS.java:50: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    for(i = 1; i > scores.size(); i++)
    ^
    program5JS.java:65: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    System.out.println("The diver's final score is " + finalScore);
    ^
    4 errors

    C:\>

    judith, Nov 16, 2006
  5. judith

    judith Guest

    judith, Nov 16, 2006
  6. judith

    judith Guest

    Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > judith wrote:
    > > hi, I'm needing help with a program that i don't understand how to
    > > store 7 ArrayList scores and sum them up. the program instructions are
    > > as follows.
    > >
    > > This program calculates the scores for a contest in diving. The highest
    > > and lowest scores are throwm out. The remaining are added together and
    > > the sum is multiplyed by the degree of difficulty and 0.6. This program
    > > uses and ArrayList to hold the seven scores and then scans the array
    > > for the position of the largest and smallest scores.These positons are
    > > then ignored in computing the sum of the scores.
    > >
    > > here is the program and the compile errors that i'm getting. When i use
    > > scores = keyboardnextDouble(); to enter the scores it won't work and
    > > i'm wondering how to write the program so i can enter the scores and
    > > store them. I would appreciate any help that i could get. thank Judith

    > Do you understand the meaning of the error? You are trying to assign the
    > result of keyboard.nextDouble() to an variable of type ArrayList.
    >
    > First thing, read the ArrayList documentation. To follow the
    > instructions literally you will probably need add and get.
    >
    > Split up the task. You need to get data into an ArrayList, so practice
    > putting scores you make up in one. When you can do that, try using
    > scores you get from the console.
    >
    > Patricia

    Patricia or anyone else that can help i'm stuck
    I added some things on the program and i'm still getting compile errors
    and i don't understand how to fix them any ideas Judith here is the
    new program and the errors
    //Author: Judith Spurlock

    import java.util.ArrayList;
    import java.util.Scanner;

    //fill in code

    public class program5JS
    {
    public static void main(String[]args)
    {
    ArrayList<Double> scores = new ArrayList<Double>();
    int posMinScore, posMaxScore;
    double sum = 0;
    double difficulty;
    double finalScore;
    int i;
    Scanner keyboard = new Scanner(System.in);

    //Input data values

    System.out.println("Enter the degree of difficulty for the dive
    (1.2-3.8).");
    difficulty = keyboard.nextDouble();

    //Input judges scores

    double next = 0;

    for (i = 1; i <= 7; i++)
    {
    System.out.println("Enter score for judge " + i + " (0-10).");
    next = keyboard.nextLineDouble();//added this and it doesn't work
    scores.add(next);
    }

    //Find position of min score
    posMinScore = 0;
    for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    {
    if(scores.get(i) < scores.get(posMinScore))
    posMinScore = i;
    }
    scores.remove(posMinScore);

    //Find position of max score
    posMaxScore = 0;
    for(i = 1; i > scores.size(); i++)
    {
    if(scores.get(i) > scores.get(posMaxScore))
    posMaxScore = i;
    }
    scores.remove(posMaxScore);

    //sum scores
    for(i = 1; i < scores.size(); i++)
    {
    scores.add(i);//added this and it doesn't work
    sum = sum + i;
    }

    //Calculate total score
    finalScore = difficulty * sum * 0.6;
    System.out.println("The diver's final score is " + finalScore);

    C:\>javac program5JS.java
    program5JS.java:35: cannot find symbol
    symbol : method nextLineDouble()
    location: class java.util.Scanner
    next = keyboard.nextLineDouble();//should be an array of scores
    ^
    program5JS.java:62: cannot find symbol
    symbol : method add(int)
    location: class java.util.ArrayList<java.lang.Double>
    scores.add(i);
    ^
    2 errors

    C:\>

    judith, Nov 16, 2006
  7. judith wrote:
    > Patricia or anyone else that can help i'm stuck
    > I added some things on the program and i'm still getting compile errors
    > and i don't understand how to fix them any ideas Judith here is the
    > new program and the errors

    > C:\>javac program5JS.java
    > program5JS.java:35: cannot find symbol
    > symbol : method nextLineDouble()
    > location: class java.util.Scanner
    > next = keyboard.nextLineDouble();//should be an array of scores

    What do you think "cannot find symbol" might mean? What steps have you
    taken to investigate this message?

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 16, 2006
  8. judith

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    judith wrote:
    > hi, I'm needing help with a program that i don't understand how to

    >From a few of your posts, I can see you need help with Java for a

    class. Do you want to know Java, or do you want a good grade from the
    class? Either way, I suggest you look into a private tutor, your
    questions, while valid, are very basic and would be solvable by reading
    a book, attending a letchure, or talking with a tutor.

    Please, don't post and repost your code over and over again, it begins
    to become repeative repeatedly.

    Speed some time and look at what the compiler is telling you. The
    error messages tell you quite clearly what it expects, you have to
    figure out either why it expects that, (maybe a missed parenthesis,
    brace, bracket, or something es), or figure out how to give it what it
    wants. Don't just give up because you have an error message.

    Best of luck,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Nov 16, 2006
  9. judith

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "judith" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not understanding the error messages either can anyone suggest or
    > help in explaining what class or interface expected means?

    It means the compiler is expecting the keyword "class" or "interface" at
    that point, and was surprised to see something else there. "class" and
    "interface" themselves are one of the more essential concepts in Java, so if
    you don't know what they refer to, you need to slow down and review past
    lessons. If you have a textbook, go back to a point where you felt
    comfortable, and start re-reading from there. If you didn't feel comfortable
    with any of it, then you'll have to start over (or get a different
    textbook).

    You may also find this online tutorial helpful:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ Start with the section entitled
    "Trails Covering the Basics" and do the lessons in order. Don't skip ahead
    until you've completely understood the previous lesson. If you're stuck on a
    lesson, make another post citing which lesson you're currently working on
    (provide a link to the webpage), and describing your problem (e.g. is it
    that you don't understand what's being said in a particular paragraph? Is it
    that you can't solve one of the exercises? Something else?)

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Nov 16, 2006
  10. judith

    Ian Wilson Guest

    judith wrote:

    > I'm not understanding the error messages either can anyone suggest or
    > help in explaining what class or interface expected means? and i'm
    > still not understanding how to store the scores in an arrayList when
    > entering them into the computer or how to add them up
    >
    > these are the new errors
    >

    > C:\>javac program5JS.java
    > program5JS.java:40: 'class' or 'interface' expected
    > posMinScore = 0;
    > ^

    Tidy up your indentation and all will become clear. Really!
    Every time you have a { increase indentation by 4 spaces.
    Every time you have a } decrease indentation by 4 spaces.
    When a statement runs over into a new line, indent the continuation
    by an extra 8 spaces.

    I'm over-simplifying but ...
    Remember that statements can only occur inside methods.
    Declarations can only occur inside classes.

    Indentation is a great help. If you are not using an IDE or editor that
    does auto-indentation for you, I suggest you obtain a program that will
    re-indent your program for you. I googled for "indent java source code"
    and the first result was JIndent (I've not tried it)

    Ian Wilson, Nov 16, 2006