How do I use asp to protect framesets

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Martin Franklin, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. I have a simple 2 page frameset that I am trying to protect using asp. I've
    included the following code listed below at the top of each page including
    the frameset page in an attempt to protect each page from unauthorized
    access. When I open any of the pages in the frameset individually, I am
    presented with the proper login page as expected, however if I open them
    thru the frameset page, redirection to my login page does not occur. Any
    help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

    <%Response.Buffer=TRUE%>
    <%IF session("okeydokey") = FALSE THEN Response.Redirect
    "../slog/login.asp"%>

    --
    Best Regards,

    Martin Franklin

    Asset Research Services, Inc.
    PO Box 7562
    Chandler, Arizona 85246

    Phone (800) 783-9636 or (480) 940-4290
    Extension 213

    Fax (888) 496-5736 or (480) 496-5735

    Web: WWW.AssetResearch.Com
    Martin Franklin, Jan 13, 2005

  2. ASP doesn't know what a frameset is. You will need to use client-side
    script to communicate between the individual frames in your frameset. (Or,
    don't use a frameset. If you look around the web, you'll see that most of
    us have managed to move away from them entirely.)

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jan 13, 2005

  3. Martin Franklin

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Martin Franklin"
    <> writing in

    > I have a simple 2 page frameset that I am trying to protect using asp.
    > I've included the following code listed below at the top of each page
    > including the frameset page in an attempt to protect each page from
    > unauthorized access. When I open any of the pages in the frameset
    > individually, I am presented with the proper login page as expected,
    > however if I open them thru the frameset page, redirection to my login
    > page does not occur. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.
    >
    ><%Response.Buffer=TRUE%>
    ><%IF session("okeydokey") = FALSE THEN Response.Redirect
    > "../slog/login.asp"%>

    One of the many problems with Evil Frames
    <http://www.apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php>.

    Do you have a URL? I might be able to come up with some solutions.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Adrienne, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Usually, there is no problem with framesets and redirection. Maybe something
    with the coding of your frameset or with the ASP code.

    S. L.

    Sylvain Lafontaine, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Martin Franklin

    CJM Guest

    "Adrienne" <> wrote in message

    > One of the many problems with Evil Frames
    > <http://www.apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php>.
    >
    > Do you have a URL? I might be able to come up with some solutions.

    That's what I like to see...

    Not content with pointing out problem, but offering solutions too. :)

    For my part, I'd say to the OP that it will take a bit of effort and
    learning to figure out how to use CSS to control layout, but equally it will
    take effort and learning to figure out how to bully the frames-based
    application to work as intended. So it might be worth biting the bullet, and
    'upgrading' now.

    One of my sites is simple but a good example of how this can be done:
    www.aif-advocacy.org.uk.

    The page uses CSS-P to control layout, and has the left & top menus in
    separate pages. It's not my favourite looking site, but it is well
    developed, efficient & easy to maintain.

    For help on CSS Layouts, you can obviously use google, or try:

    www.glish.com
    http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/boxes.html
    http://nemesis1.f2o.org/templates

    Chris
    CJM, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Martin Franklin

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "CJM"
    <> writing in

    > For my part, I'd say to the OP that it will take a bit of effort and
    > learning to figure out how to use CSS to control layout, but equally it
    > will take effort and learning to figure out how to bully the
    > frames-based application to work as intended. So it might be worth
    > biting the bullet, and 'upgrading' now.

    Amazingly, I don't think I could write a good page without CSS now. I
    can't wait for CSS-3 to really take off, newspaper like columns, and
    other goodies.

    Of course, the CSS is only as good as the markup. Use the right tool for
    the job, a heading? Use a heading element. An address? Use the address
    element. Want to emphasize a word, use the Em element.

    Adrienne, Jan 15, 2005