How do I use the memory lock facility in LInux

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by dayaking@gmail.com, May 10, 2007.

    I am trying to run a program [ Modelsim ] on a 64 bit linux HP
    machine. May be bacause of the size of the program, the testcase comes
    out with the following Error.
    ============ ========= ==
    # Fatal: (vsim-4) ** Memory allocation failure. **
    # Pelase check your system for avialable memory and swap space.
    ============ ========= ==

    The possible solutions suggested for this are
    1. Use the memory locking feature on HP-UX or the memory sharing
    feature on Solaris
    2. Increase the size of swap space
    3, Add memory to your machine and others..

    Could any one please let me know how to use the memory locking feature
    in HP Linux machine.

    I understand that we need to re-work with partition of hard-disk etc
    for making changes in the swap space. Is there an alternate way to do
    this other than working with partition of the disk ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dayananda
    , May 10, 2007

  2. Neil Dugan Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to run a program [ Modelsim ] on a 64 bit linux HP
    > machine. May be bacause of the size of the program, the testcase comes
    > out with the following Error.
    > ============ ========= ==
    > # Fatal: (vsim-4) ** Memory allocation failure. **
    > # Pelase check your system for avialable memory and swap space.
    > ============ ========= ==
    >

    > The possible solutions suggested for this are
    > 1. Use the memory locking feature on HP-UX or the memory sharing
    > feature on Solaris
    > 2. Increase the size of swap space
    > 3, Add memory to your machine and others..
    >
    > Could any one please let me know how to use the memory locking feature
    > in HP Linux machine.
    >
    > I understand that we need to re-work with partition of hard-disk etc
    > for making changes in the swap space. Is there an alternate way to do
    > this other than working with partition of the disk ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Dayananda

    You can extend the swap space by creating and using a big file for the
    swap space. If you use a file, it can be generated when needed and
    deleted when done. It will be slower, but should fix your memory
    problems.

    see
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/s1-swap-adding.html

    These instructions are aimed at Red Hat Linux but it is a generic
    problem and should work on almost any Linux installation.

    Regards Neil.
    Neil Dugan, May 10, 2007

  3. wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to run a program [ Modelsim ] on a 64 bit linux HP
    > machine. May be bacause of the size of the program, the testcase comes
    > out with the following Error.
    > ============ ========= ==
    > # Fatal: (vsim-4) ** Memory allocation failure. **
    > # Pelase check your system for avialable memory and swap space.
    > ============ ========= ==
    >

    > The possible solutions suggested for this are
    > 1. Use the memory locking feature on HP-UX or the memory sharing
    > feature on Solaris
    > 2. Increase the size of swap space
    > 3, Add memory to your machine and others..

    But the most important solution is missing here!

    0. Find out why you're simulation needs so much memory.

    Does it immediately eat all the memory, as does it happen during simulation?

    If it is the first case, have you modeled some kind of memory model for your
    simulation? If so, does it use an array of signals to model the memory
    core? If that is the case, rewrite this model so it uses a variable in
    stead of a signal. Signals take about 10X more memory on your machine than
    variables do. If it already is a variable, but it is too large, you need to
    model it as a sparse memory.

    You could try to load part of the design/testbench to try to locate the
    culprit.

    Of course there are more possibilities, such as forgetting to use deallocate
    for dynamically allocated data (via access types). This would eat memory
    during simulation.

    To say anything sensible, more information is needed. What exactly is it
    that you are trying to simulate? What kind of models are involved? And how
    much RAM does your workstation have anyway?

    --
    Paul Uiterlinden
    www.aimvalley.nl
    Paul Uiterlinden, May 10, 2007