How do I view the runtime execution path of a JIT JVM?

David Wake

I am interested in viewing the runtime execution path of a JVM
featuring Just-In-Time (JIT) compilation such as Hotspot. I am
specifically interested to see how much code is being inlined.

Is anyone aware of a tool that does this?

Thank you,

David

toxa26

You cant do it if JIT gets to your code before the exception occurs.
If you are debugging, disable your jit. There is an option you can
pass to the VM. I forget what it is, but it's one of the -X...
options. Your app will be slower, but you'll see the stack trace. If
this is happening in production and you cant disable the jit, you are
in trouble. Try putting more descriptive error messages all over the
place.

Hope this helps,
Anton

David Wake

You cant do it if JIT gets to your code before the exception occurs.
If you are debugging, disable your jit. There is an option you can
pass to the VM. I forget what it is, but it's one of the -X...
options. Your app will be slower, but you'll see the stack trace. If
this is happening in production and you cant disable the jit, you are
in trouble. Try putting more descriptive error messages all over the
place.

Hope this helps,
Anton

Thanks for your post, Anton. I'm actually interested in performance
analysis, not debugging. I want to see whether there are gains to be
made in performance by inlining commonly-called functions, or by
making them final. Of course I can just do performance testing for
this, but I'd love to know what's actually going on behind the scenes.

David