How do/should I use arrays of complex types in a WebService?

junk

Im having a play with WebServices using IBM RAD 6 as my IDE.

I can get webservices to work ok when the message is a wrapper
containing Strings, ints, and arrays of Strings or ints, but as soon
as I try to use an array of complex types it fails.

The way it fails is that it says the array is an array of
'xsd:anyType' whereas I would expect something like 'impl:mytype'
where mytype would then have 'complexType' entry which would explain
that its just a String and an Int (for example)

Can anyone tell me how I should structure a message object to contain
arrays of wrapper classes? - or any neat tricks to avoid needing
arrays of wrapper classes.

Many Thanks

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

Heres some wsdl....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<wsdl:definitions targetNamespace="http://
helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com" xmlns:impl="http://
helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com" xmlns:intf="http://
helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com" xmlns:wsdl="http://
schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" xmlns:wsdlsoap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/
wsdl/soap/" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<wsdl:types>
<schema targetNamespace="http://
helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/
XMLSchema" xmlns:impl="http://helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com"
xmlns:intf="http://helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com"
xmlns:wsdl="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/" xmlns:xsd="http://
www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<complexType name="HelloWorld8Msg">
<complexContent>
<extension base="impl:AbstractHelloWorld8Msg">
<sequence>
<element name="name" nillable="true" type="xsd:string"/>
</sequence>
</extension>
</complexContent>
</complexType>
<complexType name="AbstractHelloWorld8Msg">
<sequence>
<element maxOccurs="unbounded" name="myArray" nillable="true"
type="xsd:string"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
<element name="HelloWorld8Msg" nillable="true"
type="impl:HelloWorld8Msg"/>
<complexType name="HelloWorld8OutMsg">
<complexContent>
<extension base="impl:AbstractHelloWorld8OutMsg">
<sequence>
<element name="name" nillable="true" type="xsd:string"/>
</sequence>
</extension>
</complexContent>
</complexType>
<complexType name="AbstractHelloWorld8OutMsg">
<sequence>
<element maxOccurs="unbounded" name="myArray" nillable="true"
type="xsd:anyType"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
<element name="HelloWorld8OutMsg" nillable="true"
type="impl:HelloWorld8OutMsg"/>
</schema>
</wsdl:types>

<wsdl:message name="helloWorldResponse">

<wsdl:part name="helloWorldReturn" type="impl:HelloWorld8OutMsg"/
</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:message name="helloWorldRequest">

<wsdl:part name="aMsg" type="impl:HelloWorld8Msg"/>

</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:portType name="HelloWorld8">

<wsdl:eek:peration name="helloWorld" parameterOrder="aMsg">

<wsdl:input message="impl:helloWorldRequest"
name="helloWorldRequest"/>

<wsdl:eek:utput message="impl:helloWorldResponse"
name="helloWorldResponse"/>

</wsdl:eek:peration>

</wsdl:portType>

<wsdl:binding name="HelloWorld8SoapBinding"
type="impl:HelloWorld8">

<wsdlsoap:binding style="rpc" transport="http://
schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http"/>

<wsdl:eek:peration name="helloWorld">

<wsdlsoap:eek:peration soapAction=""/>

<wsdl:input name="helloWorldRequest">

<wsdlsoap:body namespace="http://
helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com" use="literal"/>

</wsdl:input>

<wsdl:eek:utput name="helloWorldResponse">

<wsdlsoap:body namespace="http://
helloworld.services.jjs.xxxxxxxxx.com" use="literal"/>

</wsdl:eek:utput>

</wsdl:eek:peration>

</wsdl:binding>

<wsdl:service name="HelloWorld8Service">

<wsdl:port binding="impl:HelloWorld8SoapBinding"
name="HelloWorld8">

<wsdlsoap:address location="http://localhost:9084/
jlp_jjs_Services/services/HelloWorld8"/>

</wsdl:port>

</wsdl:service>

</wsdl:definitions>

Heres the service....

public class HelloWorld8 {
public String helloWorld(HelloWorld8Msg aMsg) {

int arraySize = aMsg.getMyArray().length;
System.out.println("arraySize=[" + arraySize + "]");
String arrayContent = "";
for (int n = 0; n < arraySize; n++) {
arrayContent = arrayContent + ", " + aMsg.getMyArray()[n];
System.out.println("arrayContent=[" + arrayContent + "]");
}
return "Hello " + aMsg.getName() + "." + arrayContent + ".";

Heres the message...

public class HelloWorld8Msg extends AbstractHelloWorld8Msg {
public String name = "aa";

public HelloWorld8Msg() {
name = "bb";
}

public HelloWorld8Msg(String anName, HelloItem[] anMyArray) {
name = anName;
setMyArray(anMyArray);
}
/**
* @return Returns the name.
*/
public String getName() {
return name;
}
/**
* @param anName The name to set.
*/
public void setName(String anName) {
name = anName;

Heres HelloItem...

public class HelloItem implements Serializable {

public String key;
public String value;

public HelloItem(String anKey, String anValue) {
key = anKey;
value = anValue;
}
public String getKey() {
return key;
}
public void setKey(String anKey) {
key = anKey;
}
public String getValue() {
return value;
}
public void setValue(String anValue) {
value = anValue;
}

public String toString() {
return "key=[" + key + "], value=[" + value + "]";

Heres the super class...
import java.io.Serializable;

public class AbstractHelloWorld8Msg implements Serializable {
public HelloItem[] myArray = {new HelloItem("aaa", "Fred"), new
HelloItem("bbb", "Wilma"), new HelloItem("ccc", "Pebbles")};

/**
* @return Returns the myArray.
*/
public HelloItem getMyArray(int i) {
return myArray;
}
public HelloItem[] getMyArray() {
return myArray;
}
/**
* @param anMyArray The myArray to set.
*/
public void setMyArray(HelloItem[] anMyArray) {
myArray = anMyArray;
}
public void setMyArray(int i, HelloItem aHelloItem) {
myArray = aHelloItem;