How do they do it? Professional looking sites...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Scott Dunaway, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
    take some sites like this

    http://www.papadocs.com/

    or

    http://www.amelabs.com/

    that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
    come close to comparing to sites like these

    http://www.cingular.com/

    and

    http://www.voxunity.com/

    The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
    buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
    others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
    Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?

    Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
    about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.

    I recently signed up with a new host and got access to alot of
    templates, for free. I can use the buttons and such from those
    templates to get what I'm wanting for my personal site, but that's not
    what I want to do. I really want to be able to sit down and design my
    site from scratch. Using nothing but my imagination and my computer. I
    want to do polished, 3D buttons and multi-image overlay image maps. To
    me, such sites are not just professional, but works of Art. Thank you
    all for your time. And for those of you that try, thank you for your
    help and consideration.

    Scott D.

    Scott Dunaway, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Scott Dunaway

    Augustus Guest

    "Scott Dunaway" <> wrote in message

    > The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
    > buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
    > others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
    > Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?

    You can do all that in photoshop... what program the designer specifically
    uses is up to their personal preferences and experience.

    > Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
    > about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.

    Google for "photoshop tutorials" (or whichever graphic program you want to
    use)

    > I recently signed up with a new host and got access to alot of
    > templates, for free. I can use the buttons and such from those
    > templates to get what I'm wanting for my personal site, but that's not
    > what I want to do. I really want to be able to sit down and design my
    > site from scratch. Using nothing but my imagination and my computer. I
    > want to do polished, 3D buttons and multi-image overlay image maps. To
    > me, such sites are not just professional, but works of Art. Thank you
    > all for your time. And for those of you that try, thank you for your
    > help and consideration.

    There is alot to these programs... if you really want to get into it you
    might look at investing in a 2-4 week course on one of these programs

    A big factor is also if you have the flair and patience for it... doing a
    high end "artistic" site isn't going to be something you can sit down and
    whip up in an hour or two of work, you can expect to put in days and
    possibly a week or two or more into a design (this is where alot of people
    break down... when doing HTML or programming you can accomplish alot in 4 or
    5 hours worth of solid work... with graphic design 4 or 5 hours worth of
    solid work and you probably still only have a very basic outline)

    I'm not saying don't give it a try... you never know, you might have a great
    undiscovered talent for it. You just want to watch out that you don't end
    up spending alot of time on this where you could best be looking for work or
    working on paying jobs.

    Personally, graphic design is not my thing and so I either hire graphic
    design students at one of the local schools (they make a few bucks and it
    helps him/her build their portfolio) or hire a freelancer in Mexico (cheap
    and fast)

    Augustus, Oct 9, 2004

  3. Scott Dunaway

    Eric Biller Guest

    Scott Dunaway wrote:

    > The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
    > buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
    > others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
    > Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?

    If you are developing with a Windows-based box Macromedia Fireworks is a
    really tough app to make those buttons. In addition with Photoshop you have
    a quite good basis for building grfx for the web. Concerning 3D-Texts with
    textures and anims take a look at Ulead Cool3D and for mapping your own
    textures on a 3D-Text an easy way is using Xara3D. This is my set of apps I
    am using.

    > Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
    > about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.

    Try googling. There are a lot of resources concerning grfx.

    A lot of tutorials can be found at:
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/softwaretutorials/

    greets
    Eric

    Eric Biller, Oct 9, 2004
  4. Scott Dunaway

    Henry Guest

    Scott Dunaway wrote:
    > How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
    > take some sites like this
    >
    > http://www.papadocs.com/
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.amelabs.com/
    >
    > that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
    > come close to comparing to sites like these

    Nah...

    Take a look at this sites...

    http://www.ozones.com/

    http://www.ozoniclabs.com/

    http://www.ozones.com/imagesindex.html

    and check these ones...

    http://www.game-deception.com/index.php

    http://www.ravernews.com/

    http://www.mtechmedia.net/whoiscart/index.php

    Henry, Oct 9, 2004
  5. Scott Dunaway

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > How do they get these sites to looking so polished?

    It is the graphic artist. He/she is the person that turns a plain site
    into a polished one.

    It is being able to afford the professional studio where the images were
    all professionally taken are the exact image you want, rather than using
    some stock image that comes close.

    Of course there are also many different meanings of polished. I agree,
    with your definition of polished, others won't.

    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Scott Dunaway

    Hywel Guest

    Hywel, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 9, 2004
  8. Scott Dunaway wrote:

    > How do they get these sites to looking so polished? What I mean is you
    > take some sites like this
    >
    > http://www.papadocs.com/
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.amelabs.com/
    >
    > that look nice and are fairly user friendly. But to me they don't even
    > come close to comparing to sites like these
    >
    > http://www.cingular.com/
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.voxunity.com/
    >
    > The last 2 use lots of 3D type images and gradient coloring in their
    > buttons and such. That's what I'm asking. What programs do you use, or
    > others use, to make these images and buttons for such fantastic sites?
    > Photoshop? Paintshop? What else?
    >
    > Also, do any of you know of any URL's that point to any tutorials
    > about this? Please, any information would be highly appreciated.
    >
    > I recently signed up with a new host and got access to alot of
    > templates, for free. I can use the buttons and such from those
    > templates to get what I'm wanting for my personal site, but that's not
    > what I want to do. I really want to be able to sit down and design my
    > site from scratch. Using nothing but my imagination and my computer. I
    > want to do polished, 3D buttons and multi-image overlay image maps. To
    > me, such sites are not just professional, but works of Art. Thank you
    > all for your time. And for those of you that try, thank you for your
    > help and consideration.

    Hi Scott,

    Use The GIMP. It is an excellent free application that is not available for
    Window$ too. I used JASC Paintshop and GIMP to do all the graphics in my
    site and I prefer the latter, still.

    Having said that, one must have experience too. With GIMP you get some
    scripts that do all the hard decisions for you. You give it only an input
    text and it will return a wonderful shiny button or a banner. Try it!

    Also see banners that can be generated in a matter of seconds:

    http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Script_Fu/

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Oct 9, 2004
  9. Scott Dunaway

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Use The GIMP. It is an excellent free application that is not available for
    > Window$ too.

    s/not/now/

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 9, 2004
  10. Scott Dunaway

    Noozer Guest

    "Jeffrey Silverman" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:00:25 +0800, Henry wrote:
    >
    > > Take a look at this sites...
    > >

    > > http://www.ozones.com/
    > >
    > > http://www.ozoniclabs.com/
    > >
    > > http://www.ozones.com/imagesindex.html

    > Doc Ozone has been doing *amazing* stuff with PhotoShop and Javascript for
    > years. I learned a lot of techniques from him. Definitely recommend these
    > sites!

    Sites that are built for a single resolution and waste the rest of the page?
    Don't work properly in Firefox? That's good???

    Noozer, Oct 9, 2004
  11. Scott Dunaway

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <_aV9d.691101$gE.196734@pd7tw3no>, says...
    > Sites that are built for a single resolution and waste the rest of the page?
    > Don't work properly in Firefox? That's good???

    Actually the sites are pretty awesome. And I am using Firefox. But
    different strokes for different folks.

    WebcastMaker, Oct 9, 2004
  12. Scott Dunaway

    rf Guest

    Henry wrote:

    > Take a look at this sites...

    > http://www.ozones.com/

    totally unreadable for me.

    > http://www.ozoniclabs.com/

    Ditto.

    > http://www.ozones.com/imagesindex.html

    Mystery meat navigation. Why should I bother?

    > http://www.game-deception.com/index.php

    Sort of readable but I have to squint. I would not stay very long.

    > http://www.ravernews.com/

    Ditto.

    > http://www.mtechmedia.net/whoiscart/index.php

    Ditto with the exception that the navigation is totally unreadable. The most
    important part of the page is the least usable. How bloody bizarre is that
    :) And it is an image. There is no way at all I can make it bigger. Bloody
    stupid business decision IMHO.

    Next please?

    This time provide links to sites that I can actually see and use, sites
    where I can change my font size so as to be able to read the content. Keep
    in mind that I am after content not gratuitous flash or pretty graphics or a
    work of art. I am here to perhaps purchase something.

    Also keep in mind why I am a bit blind and have to wear glasses. I am a bit
    older than you. I am retired. I have lots of money to spend. Lots.

    I am also totally intolerant. I am allowed to be. I have seen it all, you
    know, been there, done that. If somebody annoys me these days I just walk
    away.

    If I can not immediately use a web site I simply move on to the next one. If
    you happen to be trying to sell me something on your unreadable web site
    then you have missed out on getting my money. Forever.

    Your loss. Me? I have not lost, the next site has exactly what I want and
    serendipitously cheaper :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 10, 2004
  13. Thank you all for your help. I'll look into the photoshop tutorials.
    And I'm trying to get that GIMP program too. It seems it is available
    in Windows.... Again, thank you all for all the help. I will keep
    checking this thread and others in case someone has other
    recommendations and or url's to point me to.

    Scott D.

    Scott Dunaway, Oct 10, 2004
  14. Scott Dunaway

    Toby Inkster Guest

    rf wrote:

    > It is an image. There is no way at all I can make it bigger. Bloody
    > stupid business decision IMHO.

    Opera will resize images happily.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./coldplay/parachutes/08_high_speed.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Oct 10, 2004
  15. Scott Dunaway

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, Toby Inkster proclaimed:

    > Opera will resize images happily.

    Doesn't work well enough to be able to resize and keep the text readable
    though, which is the downside to using a raster image for text.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Listening to: Pink Floyd - The Narrow Way, Part I

    Dylan Parry, Oct 10, 2004
  16. Scott Dunaway

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <hH_9d.20080$>,
    rf@.invalid says...
    > Next please?
    > This time provide links to sites that I can actually see and use, sites
    > where I can change my font size so as to be able to read the content. Keep
    > in mind that I am after content not gratuitous flash or pretty graphics or a
    > work of art. I am here to perhaps purchase something.

    But you should keep in mind that not everyone thinks like you do, and
    some people enjoy all the things you seem to hate.

    > Also keep in mind why I am a bit blind and have to wear glasses. I am a bit
    > older than you. I am retired. I have lots of money to spend. Lots.

    But if what I am selling is not marketed at you, then I really don't
    care how much money you have to spend, your not going to buy my product
    anyway, so why would I cater to you? I am catering to those that will
    actually buy my product.

    > I am also totally intolerant.

    Nuff said there...

    > If I can not immediately use a web site I simply move on to the next one. If
    > you happen to be trying to sell me something on your unreadable web site
    > then you have missed out on getting my money. Forever.

    This behaviour is still the exception.

    > Your loss. Me? I have not lost, the next site has exactly what I want and
    > serendipitously cheaper :)

    Your absolutely right, I lost you. (you old blind fart), I have lost you
    as a customer forever <sigh...>, but I gained those 3 20 year old good
    vision, MTV freaks, who have the attention span of a gnat, but that LOVE
    all this fancy crap, and they have money too... And hey, these are the
    guys I am trying to reach... hmmmmm

    It's a mighty big web out there, one size does not fit all. It is
    called marketing.

    WebcastMaker, Oct 10, 2004
  17. Scott Dunaway

    Deryck Guest

    "WebcastMaker" <> wrote in message

    > But if what I am selling is not marketed at you, then I really don't
    > care how much money you have to spend, your not going to buy my product
    > anyway, so why would I cater to you? I am catering to those that will
    > actually buy my product.

    Why do you assume that just because the product is not marketed at rf's
    demographic he will not buy it?
    For example, he might want to buy it as a gift for someone.

    Cheers

    Deryck

    Deryck, Oct 10, 2004
  18. Scott Dunaway

    Noozer Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > rf wrote:
    >
    > > It is an image. There is no way at all I can make it bigger. Bloody
    > > stupid business decision IMHO.

    > Opera will resize images happily.

    But Opera is a pretty poor image editor. It's just about as good as a web
    browser as well.

    Noozer, Oct 10, 2004
  19. Scott Dunaway

    Noozer Guest

    > Your absolutely right, I lost you. (you old blind fart), I have lost you
    > as a customer forever <sigh...>, but I gained those 3 20 year old good
    > vision, MTV freaks, who have the attention span of a gnat, but that LOVE
    > all this fancy crap, and they have money too... And hey, these are the
    > guys I am trying to reach... hmmmmm

    Lost me too... Oh well.

    Noozer, Oct 10, 2004
  20. Scott Dunaway

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <dBbad.702716$gE.665581@pd7tw3no>, says...

    > > Your absolutely right, I lost you. (you old blind fart), I have lost you
    > > as a customer forever <sigh...>, but I gained those 3 20 year old good
    > > vision, MTV freaks, who have the attention span of a gnat, but that LOVE
    > > all this fancy crap, and they have money too... And hey, these are the
    > > guys I am trying to reach... hmmmmm

    > Lost me too... Oh well.

    So

    WebcastMaker, Oct 10, 2004