How do they do it? Professional looking sites...

WebcastMaker

Why do you assume that just because the product is not marketed at rf's
demographic he will not buy it?
For example, he might want to buy it as a gift for someone.

I don't assume that he won't buy my product, I assume just the opposite
that he would have, and I have indeed lost "that" sale. Forever.

But my cool-ass MTV style Skateboard company will just have to accept
that Grand-pa Jones, might not be able to see my site, and little Johnny
will have to just have to settle with the fancy Walmart one...

No wait, Johnny ("funk master Jon" to his friends) will come back next
week with his mom's money to buy it from my cool-ass site... Because
Johnny knows what cool is. And that's what I sell. I sell what Johnny
think is cool.

Not all sites are meant for everyone.

kchayka

Sam said:
But its letters are five pixels high inside unresizable images.

Wow, you got *letters*?

All I got was a gray checked background image - not a letter in sight!

WebcastMaker

Wow, you got *letters*?
All I got was a gray checked background image - not a letter in sight!

If you guys would just open your eyes (and minds?) you could see some
pretty cool things on the web. But hey, the choice is yours. I think
the ozone looked pretty cool, and it was completely functional for me.
But most of all, it was cool.

I like cool.

Andy Dingley

I think the ozone looked pretty cool, and it was completely functional for me.

Have you ever considered taking up brain surgery ? You obviously have
the motor skills for it !

I like cool too. But this site makes me squint to read it, and even
once I'd found the scrollbar, I don't have the mouse control accuracy
to work it.

There are some well-established conventions on the web, such as the
use of a single scrolling pane within the browser. We tried it in
other ways, with frames, and they have been pretty much rejected. If
you're going to offer me something here that's _different_, then it
damn well ought to be _better_ as well.

And while it's loading, it's _plug_ugly_!

Jeffrey Silverman

And I'm trying to get that GIMP program too. It seems it is available
in Windows....

It is but I personally don't think it works as well in Windows as it does
on Linux. It is because of the way the Windows windowing environment is
versus the X windowing environment. But it works well and is free. Also,
GIMP 2 has some improvemnents as far as UI over GIMP 1, but I don't know
that 2 is available on Windows yet.

Frankly, Photoshop kicks GIMP's ass. But the GIMP is awesome, really. Just
because PS is better doesn't mean that the GIMP isn't great. So no flames,
please. But PS is better, nyah nayah nyah, bleeaahhhh!

sorry about that.

Mark Parnell

Your absolutely right, I lost you. (you old blind fart), I have lost you
as a customer forever <sigh...>, but I gained those 3 20 year old good
vision, MTV freaks, who have the attention span of a gnat, but that LOVE
all this fancy crap, and they have money too... And hey, these are the
guys I am trying to reach... hmmmmm

And those of us in their 20s who love all that fancy crap, but still
have bad eyes?

Lost me too.

Mark Parnell

Use The GIMP. It is an excellent free application that is not available for
Window$ too.

_Is_ available for Windows, though I believe not as good as the *nix
version.

Neal

If you guys would just open your eyes (and minds?) you could see some
pretty cool things on the web. But hey, the choice is yours. I think
the ozone looked pretty cool, and it was completely functional for me.
But most of all, it was cool.

I like cool.

Dude, it can be cool, but this actually hurts my eyes to read, and I've
got top-notch vision.

What is fun is screwing up the menu at top - rearrange all the items.

Roy Schestowitz

Mark said:
_Is_ available for Windows, though I believe not as good as the *nix
version.

Oh gosh! I can't believe I made the 'now-not' typo!! I meant to say: "it is
NOW available for Window$ too". Excuse my negligence. Only weeks ago I was
running GIMP 2 on Window$.

Toby Inkster

Mark said:
Lost me too.

Yes. I'm 24 and could barely read it. I do have glasses, but I can read
most websites without them. I could barely read the Ozone site *with* them!

Andy Dingley

Wow. Just goes to show that ugly is in the eye of the beholder.

I meant the grey checkerboard that's up for an age while it loads.

I don't know much Flash, but I do know you don't need to be staring at
a blank screen at this point.

WebcastMaker

have you ever considered taking up brain surgery ? You obviously have
the motor skills for it !
nice
I like cool too. But this site makes me squint to read it, and even
once I'd found the scrollbar, I don't have the mouse control accuracy
to work it.

Then you obviously enjoy a different kind of cool
There are some well-established conventions on the web, such as the
use of a single scrolling pane within the browser. We tried it in
other ways, with frames, and they have been pretty much rejected. If
you're going to offer me something here that's _different_, then it
damn well ought to be _better_ as well.

His site isn't about well-established conventions. His site is about
turning the web into art, and not everyone will enjoy the same type of
art. His web business has by all means lost your (and others) business
because you could not (or would not) use his site.

<poof> Here's a clue, that is ok to do. Did you look at his clients?
Maybe go to a few of the sites? None of them has a site like his. They
all have the same old look and feel. Sure the unique design for his
site will turn away a lot of potential customers, but you know what?
looking at his list, he probably isn't too worried about that. Looks
like his company is plenty busy.
And while it's loading, it's _plug_ugly_!

Again, beauty and _plug_ugly_ are in the eyes of the beholder

WebcastMaker

I meant the grey checkerboard that's up for an age while it loads.

Then you didn't realize what it was. That is the default background for
Photoshop when you have a transparent background. See, it was part of
the art side you didn't get.
I don't know much Flash, but I do know you don't need to be staring at
a blank screen at this point.

Your right, you don't know (or seem to enjoy) flash.

WebcastMaker

Frankly, Photoshop kicks GIMP's ass. But the GIMP is awesome, really. Just
because PS is better doesn't mean that the GIMP isn't great. So no flames,
please. But PS is better, nyah nayah nyah, bleeaahhhh!

Photoshop is the way to go, but paintshop pro for about $100 us is not a
bad deal at all.

WebcastMaker

And those of us in their 20s who love all that fancy crap, but still
have bad eyes?

Yes, he did, and he has obviously accepted that fact, and has moved on
with his life...