how do they do that?

Noël®

At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a Platform
and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.

I've had a look at the code, and I did try it on my own server, but till now
no luck (keep getting a scripts error)

Someone here who's maybe got a nice small example for me to play with?

Also.. Will this work with all "new" browsers?

Noel

Jeffrey Silverman

At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a Platform
and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.

I've had a look at the code, and I did try it on my own server, but till now
no luck (keep getting a scripts error)

Someone here who's maybe got a nice small example for me to play with?

Also.. Will this work with all "new" browsers?

Noel

In modern browsers, it's as simple as changing the display property on a
layer in response to changing values in a form. For example:

http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/test/display.html

The Adobe page is fairly complex because they have to test many different
conditions before a decision is made on how to display the layers.

My example is contrived, but it does turn layers on and off in response to
input.

Noël®

Jeffrey Silverman said:
In modern browsers, it's as simple as changing the display property on a
layer in response to changing values in a form. For example:

http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/test/display.html

The Adobe page is fairly complex because they have to test many different
conditions before a decision is made on how to display the layers.

My example is contrived, but it does turn layers on and off in response to
input.

Thank you for the small demo.

I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the users
are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.

Thanks again for the demo code.

Noel

Kris

At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a Platform
and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.

Man you are going to get so many "not on my machine"'s with this
question.

Google expandable section DHTML, But remember some visitors will not be
able to use it.[/QUOTE]

That should not be much of a problem when JavaScript is used to hide it
in the first place. For instance, by setting a specific class on the
object to hide and have CSS hide it.

aa

I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the users
are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.

The source code claims
"This browser looks like it supports it (MSIE 4+, Gecko (Mozilla), Netscape
6+, Konqueror, Safari, Opera 7+)"
If the list in brackets means browsers with which this code is compatible,
then it should be sufficient for all practical purposes.

Jeffrey Silverman

Thank you for the small demo.

I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the users
are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.

Thanks again for the demo code.

Noel

I don't use IE at all. The Adobe site works fine in the browser I use
(Mozilla). My wee demo also works fine in my browser, and should work in
any DOM-supporting browser (including Mozilla/Firefox/Gecko browsers, MSIE
5+, Opera, Konqueror/KHTML-based browsers (like Safari), etc.).

What led you to believe my demo was at all MSIE-specific?

Noël®

Jeffrey Silverman said:
I don't use IE at all. The Adobe site works fine in the browser I use
(Mozilla). My wee demo also works fine in my browser, and should work in
any DOM-supporting browser (including Mozilla/Firefox/Gecko browsers, MSIE
5+, Opera, Konqueror/KHTML-based browsers (like Safari), etc.).

What led you to believe my demo was at all MSIE-specific?

Hi again... It was the "In modern browsers" part in your 1st reply what made
me believe it.

The other 12% of my users do use browsers like Mozilla/Firefox/Gecko (and
some webTV), so I guess I will give your "wee" demo a go.

Thanks again.

Noel

Steve Pugh

Hi again... It was the "In modern browsers" part in your 1st reply what made
me believe it.

Surely that would imply that it would work in other browsers and not
work in IE?

Steve

Jeffrey Silverman

Hi again... It was the "In modern browsers" part in your 1st reply what made
me believe it.

I see. Well, to me, "modern browsers" means browsers that reasonably well
support DOM and CSS. "Reasonably well" is a vague and debatable term, but
my list of "modern browsers" is the list I posted a coupla posts ago.