    Someone here who's maybe got a nice small example for me to play with?

    Also.. Will this work with all "new" browsers?

    Noel

    Noël®, Oct 18, 2004

  2. On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:19:06 +0200, Noël® wrote:

    > At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a Platform
    > and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.
    >
    > I've had a look at the code, and I did try it on my own server, but till now
    > no luck (keep getting a scripts error)
    >
    > Someone here who's maybe got a nice small example for me to play with?
    >
    > Also.. Will this work with all "new" browsers?
    >
    > Noel

    In modern browsers, it's as simple as changing the display property on a
    layer in response to changing values in a form. For example:

    http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/test/display.html

    The Adobe page is fairly complex because they have to test many different
    conditions before a decision is made on how to display the layers.

    My example is contrived, but it does turn layers on and off in response to
    input.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Noël®

    aa Guest

    "Noël®" <> wrote in message
    > At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a

    Platform
    > and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.
    >
    > I've had a look at the code, and I did try it on my own server, but till

    now
    > no luck (keep getting a scripts error)

    It works fine on my local PC.
    Did you download all the associated .js files?
    What error do you get?

    aa, Oct 18, 2004
  4. Noël®

    WebcastMaker Guest

    WebcastMaker, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Noël®

    Noël® Guest

    "Jeffrey Silverman" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:19:06 +0200, Noël® wrote:
    >
    >> At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a
    >> Platform
    >> and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.
    >>
    >> I've had a look at the code, and I did try it on my own server, but till
    >> now
    >> no luck (keep getting a scripts error)
    >>
    >> Someone here who's maybe got a nice small example for me to play with?
    >>
    >> Also.. Will this work with all "new" browsers?
    >>
    >> Noel

    > In modern browsers, it's as simple as changing the display property on a
    > layer in response to changing values in a form. For example:
    >
    > http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/test/display.html
    >
    > The Adobe page is fairly complex because they have to test many different
    > conditions before a decision is made on how to display the layers.
    >
    > My example is contrived, but it does turn layers on and off in response to
    > input.

    Thank you for the small demo.

    I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the users
    are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.

    Thanks again for the demo code.

    Noel

    Noël®, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Noël®

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    WebcastMaker <> wrote:

    > > At www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html when you select a Platform
    > > and Connection speed it will "unfold" itself and make step 2 visible.

    > Man you are going to get so many "not on my machine"'s with this
    > question.
    >
    > Google expandable section DHTML, But remember some visitors will not be
    > able to use it.

    That should not be much of a problem when JavaScript is used to hide it
    in the first place. For instance, by setting a specific class on the
    object to hide and have CSS hide it.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Noël®

    aa Guest

    "Noël®" <> wrote in message

    > I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the

    users
    > are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.

    The source code claims
    "This browser looks like it supports it (MSIE 4+, Gecko (Mozilla), Netscape
    6+, Konqueror, Safari, Opera 7+)"
    If the list in brackets means browsers with which this code is compatible,
    then it should be sufficient for all practical purposes.

    aa, Oct 19, 2004
  8. On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:21:53 +0200, Noël® wrote:

    >> http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/test/display.html
    >>
    >> The Adobe page is fairly complex because they have to test many different
    >> conditions before a decision is made on how to display the layers.
    >>
    >> My example is contrived, but it does turn layers on and off in response to
    >> input.
    >>

    > Thank you for the small demo.
    >
    > I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the users
    > are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.
    >
    > Thanks again for the demo code.
    >

    > Noel

    I don't use IE at all. The Adobe site works fine in the browser I use
    (Mozilla). My wee demo also works fine in my browser, and should work in
    any DOM-supporting browser (including Mozilla/Firefox/Gecko browsers, MSIE
    5+, Opera, Konqueror/KHTML-based browsers (like Safari), etc.).

    What led you to believe my demo was at all MSIE-specific?

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Noël®

    > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:21:53 +0200, Noël® wrote:
    >
    >>> http://engineering.jhu.edu/~jeff/test/display.html
    >>>
    >>> The Adobe page is fairly complex because they have to test many
    >>> different
    >>> conditions before a decision is made on how to display the layers.
    >>>
    >>> My example is contrived, but it does turn layers on and off in response
    >>> input.
    >>>

    >> Thank you for the small demo.
    >>
    >> I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the
    >> users
    >> are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.
    >>
    >> Thanks again for the demo code.
    >>

    >> Noel

    > I don't use IE at all. The Adobe site works fine in the browser I use
    > (Mozilla). My wee demo also works fine in my browser, and should work in
    > any DOM-supporting browser (including Mozilla/Firefox/Gecko browsers, MSIE
    > 5+, Opera, Konqueror/KHTML-based browsers (like Safari), etc.).
    >
    > What led you to believe my demo was at all MSIE-specific?

    Hi again... It was the "In modern browsers" part in your 1st reply what made
    me believe it.

    The other 12% of my users do use browsers like Mozilla/Firefox/Gecko (and
    some webTV), so I guess I will give your "wee" demo a go.

    Thanks again.

    Noel

    Noël®, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Noël®

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:03:16 +0200, "Noël®" <>
    wrote:
    >"Jeffrey Silverman" <> wrote in message

    >>> I could really use this "trick" on one of my site's, but as 12% of the
    >>> users are not using IE (88% does) I might skip it for now.

    >> What led you to believe my demo was at all MSIE-specific?

    >Hi again... It was the "In modern browsers" part in your 1st reply what made
    >me believe it.

    Surely that would imply that it would work in other browsers and not
    work in IE?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Oct 19, 2004
  11. On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:32:04 +0100, Steve Pugh wrote:

    > Surely that would imply that it would work in other browsers and not
    > work in IE?
    >
    > Steve

    Touché

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 19, 2004
  12. On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:03:16 +0200, Noël® wrote:

    > Hi again... It was the "In modern browsers" part in your 1st reply what made
    > me believe it.

    I see. Well, to me, "modern browsers" means browsers that reasonably well
    support DOM and CSS. "Reasonably well" is a vague and debatable term, but
    my list of "modern browsers" is the list I posted a coupla posts ago.

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 19, 2004