How Do We Configure the BOOST Filesystem Library?

perseus

It is really crazy! I need to use the Boost filesystem
for the manipulation of directories, and I have no idea how to
install this filesystem on my IBM-compatible machine.
Does anyone up here know how to do this?
Thanks a million in advance!

perseus

David White

perseus said:
It is really crazy! I need to use the Boost filesystem
for the manipulation of directories, and I have no idea how to
install this filesystem on my IBM-compatible machine.
Does anyone up here know how to do this?
Thanks a million in advance!

So, what is your C++ question?

DW

David White

perseus said:
So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

This newsgroup is called comp.lang.c++. 'lang' stands for 'language', so one
can reason, even without reading the FAQ, that the subject of this newsgroup
is the C++ language.

What is your C++ question?

DW

perseus

This newsgroup is called comp.lang.c++. 'lang' stands for 'language', so one
can reason, even without reading the FAQ, that the subject of this newsgroup
is the C++ language.

What is your C++ question?

DW

Thank you for another stupid and idiotic remark.
I am contacting the C++ people. They are up here.
They are the C++ COMPUTER LANGUAGE PEOPLE.
Where exactly are YOU going to find the ones I need? In the
BOOST CONFIGURING newsgroup?
Stop annoying me, and move on to the next message.

David White

Ivan Vecerina said:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:18:45 +1000,
I agree that David (and many others) are, IMHO,
unnecessary rude to posters of Q that are not strictly
within the scope of the standard C++ language.

Rude? Someone comes in here, at comp.lang.c++, and posts a question that has
_nothing_ to do with C++, or, if it does, the OP did not explain how (I have
never heard of boost, and why should I have?). Even if it is C++ related, it
is not _standard_ C++, to which this newsgroup confines itself. The OP must
have known the question was off-topic. That is what I call rude. In any
case, I am not sure where I was rude. I asked what the OP's C++ question is,
since that is the subject of the newsgroup. Is that rude?

DW

Jacek Dziedzic

[5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?

Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is about the C++
language itself. For example, C++ code design, syntax, style, rules,
bugs, etc. Ultimately this means your question must be answerable
by looking into the C++ language definition as determined by the
ISO/ANSI C++ Standard document, and by planned extensions and
adjustments. Operating-specific questions (e.g., about Windows
NT / 95 / 3.x, UNIX, etc.) should go to an operating-system-specific
newsgroup (see below), not to comp.lang.c++.

Socketd

So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

He is not being rude. Your question is OT, so please ask in a boost
newsgroup/maillings list/forum.

br
socketd

E. Robert Tisdale

Something said:
So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

I agree with perseus.
David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
and should have remained silent.

David,

Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.
If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.
If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.
If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
please try to be polite and helpful.
Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum
where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.

Don't scold or admonish the original poster.
It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.
Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.

foo

David White said:
Alf P. Steinbach said:
Okay, what is C++0x, and what is boost?

DW

If you don't even know what is boost, then you should be the last
person playing topic police.
Leave this job for those professional full time topic police morons.
Amateur morons need not attempt this.

Mike Wahler

E. Robert Tisdale said:
I agree with perseus.
David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
and should have remained silent.

Notification that particular material is off-topic is indeed
a valid contribution here, or in any topical group.
David,

Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.

If we don't, then many uninformed people will remain that
way, increasing the odds that someone else posts off-topic.
If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.

When they become abusive in the face of facts, yes most of
the time I do that (the individual, not the thread).
If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.

Ah, but news client configuration is not topical here. :)
If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
please try to be polite and helpful.

In what way was David's post 'impolite'? Yes, it was
terse, but imo 'manners neutral'.
Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum

Perhaps he didn't know which one. He does know that
the query was OT, so he responded accordingly.
where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.

Right. He could have found much info quickly e.g. with google,
but chose instead to disrupt the group.
Don't scold or admonish the original poster.

I saw no scolding or admonishment, only an indication
of nontopicality.

It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.

Oh, please. I saw no indications of anger in David's post.
Just an appropriate question.
Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.

I doubt very much that 'popularity' is David's (or most anyone's
here) motivation for participating here.

-Mike

David White

E. Robert Tisdale said:
I agree with perseus.
David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
and should have remained silent.

David,

Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.

It seems to be normal and accepted practice to respond to them. For one
thing, it's best if no one actually answers the question, since that just
encourages others to post off-topic questions. By responding that it's
off-topic, you would hope than anyone thinking of answering it might decide
to leave it. Also, if the OP isn't told it's off-topic, and instead just
thinks no one knows the answer, he/she might try again.
If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.
If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.
If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
please try to be polite and helpful.

As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I am
ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have never
come across a mention of it.
Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum
where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.

Don't scold or admonish the original poster.

I didn't think it was an innocent mistake. I thought the OP intentionally
posted an off-topic question without regard for anyone.
It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.
Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.

I don't think I abused or insulted the OP. I simply asked for an on-topic
question.

DW

foo

David White said:
[...]

If you don't even know what is the boost library, I don't think you're
the right person to determin what's off topic.

David White

If you don't even know what is the boost library, I don't think you're
the right person to determin what's off topic.

I know it's not in the C++ standard, so I knew it was off-topic. I just
didn't know how far off-topic it was. Don't forget that the OP was not even
asking anything about the library itself. The question was about how to
_install_ it on an IBM-compatible machine, which is way off-topic regardless
of what the library itself is about.

DW

Y2KYZFR1

David White said:
As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I am
ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have never
come across a mention of it.

well your ignorance of your ignornance is quite obvious from the
above.

you are the one that is off topic as Boost has been mentioned on this
and all the other relevant groups for a long time.

as other people have stated if you can't contribute something positive
stay out of the converstation.

my positive contribution is Boost is ON TOPIC in any C++ language
discussion forum.

just remember to not think you are the end all be all dancing monkey
next time and maybe you can learn something outside your obviously
small world.

David White

Y2KYZFR1 said:
As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I am
ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have never
come across a mention of it.

well your ignorance of your ignornance is quite obvious from the
above.

you are the one that is off topic as Boost has been mentioned on this
and all the other relevant groups for a long time.

as other people have stated if you can't contribute something positive
stay out of the converstation.

my positive contribution is Boost is ON TOPIC in any C++ language
discussion forum.[/QUOTE]

Here is the OP's post again, as you have clearly forgotten it:

perseus said:
It is really crazy! I need to use the Boost filesystem
for the manipulation of directories, and I have no idea how to
install this filesystem on my IBM-compatible machine.
Does anyone up here know how to do this?

Please explain how the means of installing a filesystem on an IBM-compatible
machine is "ON TOPIC" in a forum intended for discussion of the C++ language
as defined by the ISO C++ standard?

DW