    Does anyone up here know how to do this?
    Thanks a million in advance!

    perseus
    perseus, Aug 12, 2003

  2. perseus

    David White Guest

    perseus <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > It is really crazy! I need to use the Boost filesystem
    > for the manipulation of directories, and I have no idea how to
    > install this filesystem on my IBM-compatible machine.
    > Does anyone up here know how to do this?
    > Thanks a million in advance!

    So, what is your C++ question?

    DW
    David White, Aug 12, 2003

  3. perseus

    David White Guest

    perseus <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:18:45 +1000, "David White" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >perseus <> wrote in message
    > >> It is really crazy! I need to use the Boost filesystem
    > >> for the manipulation of directories, and I have no idea how to
    > >> install this filesystem on my IBM-compatible machine.
    > >> Does anyone up here know how to do this?
    > >> Thanks a million in advance!

    > >So, what is your C++ question?
    > >
    > >DW
    > >

    > So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    This newsgroup is called comp.lang.c++. 'lang' stands for 'language', so one
    can reason, even without reading the FAQ, that the subject of this newsgroup
    is the C++ language.

    What is your C++ question?

    DW
    David White, Aug 12, 2003
  4. perseus

    perseus Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:52:33 +1000, "David White" <>
    wrote:

    >perseus <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:18:45 +1000, "David White" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >perseus <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >So, what is your C++ question?
    >> >
    >> >DW
    >> >

    >> So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    >This newsgroup is called comp.lang.c++. 'lang' stands for 'language', so one
    >can reason, even without reading the FAQ, that the subject of this newsgroup
    >is the C++ language.
    >
    >What is your C++ question?
    >
    >DW

    Thank you for another stupid and idiotic remark.
    I am contacting the C++ people. They are up here.
    They are the C++ COMPUTER LANGUAGE PEOPLE.
    Where exactly are YOU going to find the ones I need? In the
    BOOST CONFIGURING newsgroup?
    Stop annoying me, and move on to the next message.
    perseus, Aug 12, 2003
  5. perseus

    David White Guest

    Ivan Vecerina <ivecATmyrealboxDOTcom> wrote in message
    > "perseus" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:18:45 +1000,
    > I agree that David (and many others) are, IMHO,
    > unnecessary rude to posters of Q that are not strictly
    > within the scope of the standard C++ language.

    Rude? Someone comes in here, at comp.lang.c++, and posts a question that has
    _nothing_ to do with C++, or, if it does, the OP did not explain how (I have
    never heard of boost, and why should I have?). Even if it is C++ related, it
    is not _standard_ C++, to which this newsgroup confines itself. The OP must
    have known the question was off-topic. That is what I call rude. In any
    case, I am not sure where I was rude. I asked what the OP's C++ question is,
    since that is the subject of the newsgroup. Is that rude?

    DW
    David White, Aug 12, 2003
  6. On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:08:24 +1000, "David White" <> wrote:

    >I have >never heard of boost, and why should I have?

    Because most of it is likely to be incorporated into C++0x.
    Alf P. Steinbach, Aug 12, 2003
  7. [5.9] Which newsgroup should I post my questions?

    Only post to comp.lang.c++ if your question is about the C++
    language itself. For example, C++ code design, syntax, style, rules,
    bugs, etc. Ultimately this means your question must be answerable
    by looking into the C++ language definition as determined by the
    ISO/ANSI C++ Standard document, and by planned extensions and
    adjustments. Operating-specific questions (e.g., about Windows
    NT / 95 / 3.x, UNIX, etc.) should go to an operating-system-specific
    newsgroup (see below), not to comp.lang.c++.
    Jacek Dziedzic, Aug 12, 2003
  8. perseus

    David White Guest

    wrote:

    > >I have >never heard of boost, and why should I have?

    > Because most of it is likely to be incorporated into C++0x.

    Okay, what is C++0x, and what is boost?

    DW
    David White, Aug 12, 2003
  9. perseus

    Socketd Guest

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:23:03 -0400
    perseus <> wrote:

    > So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    He is not being rude. Your question is OT, so please ask in a boost
    newsgroup/maillings list/forum.

    br
    socketd
    Socketd, Aug 12, 2003
  10. Troll Alert: How Do We Configure the BOOST Filesystem Library?

    Something that calls itself perseus wrote:

    > David White wrote:
    >
    >>So, what is your C++ question?

    > So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    I agree with perseus.
    David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
    and should have remained silent.

    David,

    Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.
    If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.
    If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
    you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.
    If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
    please try to be polite and helpful.
    Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum
    where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.

    Don't scold or admonish the original poster.
    It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
    as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.
    Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
    to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.
    E. Robert Tisdale, Aug 12, 2003
  11. perseus

    foo Guest

    "David White" <no.email@provided> wrote in message news:<zT2_a.759$>...
    > "Alf P. Steinbach" <> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:08:24 +1000, "David White" <>

    > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I have >never heard of boost, and why should I have?

    > > Because most of it is likely to be incorporated into C++0x.

    > Okay, what is C++0x, and what is boost?
    >
    > DW

    If you don't even know what is boost, then you should be the last
    person playing topic police.
    Leave this job for those professional full time topic police morons.
    Amateur morons need not attempt this.
    foo, Aug 12, 2003
  12. perseus

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: Troll Alert: How Do We Configure the BOOST Filesystem Library?

    E. Robert Tisdale <> wrote in message
    > Something that calls itself perseus wrote:
    >
    > > David White wrote:
    > >
    > >>So, what is your C++ question?

    > > So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    > I agree with perseus.
    > David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
    > and should have remained silent.

    Notification that particular material is off-topic is indeed
    a valid contribution here, or in any topical group.

    > David,
    >
    > Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.

    If we don't, then many uninformed people will remain that
    way, increasing the odds that someone else posts off-topic.

    > If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.

    When they become abusive in the face of facts, yes most of
    the time I do that (the individual, not the thread).

    > If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
    > you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.

    Ah, but news client configuration is not topical here. :)

    > If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
    > please try to be polite and helpful.

    In what way was David's post 'impolite'? Yes, it was
    terse, but imo 'manners neutral'.

    > Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum

    Perhaps he didn't know which one. He does know that
    the query was OT, so he responded accordingly.

    > where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.

    Right. He could have found much info quickly e.g. with google,
    but chose instead to disrupt the group.

    > Don't scold or admonish the original poster.

    I saw no scolding or admonishment, only an indication
    of nontopicality.

    > It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
    > as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.

    Oh, please. I saw no indications of anger in David's post.
    Just an appropriate question.

    > Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
    > to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.

    I doubt very much that 'popularity' is David's (or most anyone's
    here) motivation for participating here.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Aug 12, 2003
  13. perseus

    David White Guest

    > Something that calls itself perseus wrote:
    >
    > > David White wrote:
    > >
    > >>So, what is your C++ question?

    > > So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    > I agree with perseus.
    > David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
    > and should have remained silent.
    >
    > David,
    >
    > Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.

    It seems to be normal and accepted practice to respond to them. For one
    thing, it's best if no one actually answers the question, since that just
    encourages others to post off-topic questions. By responding that it's
    off-topic, you would hope than anyone thinking of answering it might decide
    to leave it. Also, if the OP isn't told it's off-topic, and instead just
    thinks no one knows the answer, he/she might try again.

    > If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.
    > If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
    > you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.
    > If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
    > please try to be polite and helpful.

    As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
    vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I am
    ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have never
    come across a mention of it.

    > Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum
    > where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.
    >
    > Don't scold or admonish the original poster.

    I didn't think it was an innocent mistake. I thought the OP intentionally
    posted an off-topic question without regard for anyone.

    > It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
    > as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.
    > Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
    > to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.

    I don't think I abused or insulted the OP. I simply asked for an on-topic
    question.

    DW
    David White, Aug 12, 2003
  14. perseus

    foo Guest

    "David White" <no.email@provided> wrote in message news:<B3c_a.773$>...
    > "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    > > Something that calls itself perseus wrote:

    > > > So why do you feel compelled to interfere and be rude?

    > > I agree with perseus.
    > > David White apparently had nothing to contribute to the thread
    > > and should have remained silent.
    > >
    > > David,
    > >
    > > Please don't respond to off-topic questions. Just ignore them.

    > It seems to be normal and accepted practice to respond to them. For one
    > thing, it's best if no one actually answers the question, since that just
    > encourages others to post off-topic questions. By responding that it's
    > off-topic, you would hope than anyone thinking of answering it might decide
    > to leave it. Also, if the OP isn't told it's off-topic, and instead just
    > thinks no one knows the answer, he/she might try again.
    >
    > > If you can't ignore them, place the thread in your killfile.
    > > If you don't know how to do this, please tell us which newsreader
    > > you are using and someone should be able to help you do this.
    > > If you feel that you *must* reply to off-topic questions,
    > > please try to be polite and helpful.

    > As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
    > vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I am
    > ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have never
    > come across a mention of it.
    >
    > > Redirect the question to a more appropriate forum
    > > where the original poster is more likely to get reliable answers.
    > >
    > > Don't scold or admonish the original poster.

    > I didn't think it was an innocent mistake. I thought the OP intentionally
    > posted an off-topic question without regard for anyone.
    >
    > > It doesn't do any good and can only be interpreted
    > > as an attempt on your part to vent personal frustration and anger.
    > > Such behavior will *not* make you more popular among subscribers
    > > to the comp.lang.c++ newsgroup.

    > I don't think I abused or insulted the OP. I simply asked for an on-topic
    > question.
    >
    > DW

    If you don't even know what is the boost library, I don't think you're
    the right person to determin what's off topic.
    foo, Aug 13, 2003
  15. perseus

    David White Guest

    foo <> wrote in message

    > If you don't even know what is the boost library, I don't think you're
    > the right person to determin what's off topic.

    I know it's not in the C++ standard, so I knew it was off-topic. I just
    didn't know how far off-topic it was. Don't forget that the OP was not even
    asking anything about the library itself. The question was about how to
    _install_ it on an IBM-compatible machine, which is way off-topic regardless
    of what the library itself is about.

    DW
    David White, Aug 13, 2003
  16. perseus

    Y2KYZFR1 Guest

    Re: Troll Alert: How Do We Configure the BOOST Filesystem Library?

    "David White" <no.email@provided> wrote in message news:<B3c_a.773$>...
    > "E. Robert Tisdale" <> wrote in message
    > > Something that calls itself perseus wrote:
    > >
    > > > David White wrote:
    > > >

    > As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
    > vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I am
    > ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have never
    > come across a mention of it.

    well your ignorance of your ignornance is quite obvious from the
    above.

    you are the one that is off topic as Boost has been mentioned on this
    and all the other relevant groups for a long time.

    as other people have stated if you can't contribute something positive
    stay out of the converstation.

    my positive contribution is Boost is ON TOPIC in any C++ language
    discussion forum.

    just remember to not think you are the end all be all dancing monkey
    next time and maybe you can learn something outside your obviously
    small world.
    Y2KYZFR1, Aug 17, 2003
  17. perseus

    David White Guest

    > > As far as I knew, the topic was no more relevant to C++ than bobcats or
    > > vacuum cleaners. That was the only reason I replied as I did. Okay, so I

    am
    > > ignorant of Boost, but I do my work and I read this group and I have

    never
    > > come across a mention of it.

    > well your ignorance of your ignornance is quite obvious from the
    > above.
    >
    > you are the one that is off topic as Boost has been mentioned on this
    > and all the other relevant groups for a long time.
    >
    > as other people have stated if you can't contribute something positive
    > stay out of the converstation.
    >
    > my positive contribution is Boost is ON TOPIC in any C++ language
    > discussion forum.

    Here is the OP's post again, as you have clearly forgotten it:

    perseus <> wrote in message
    > It is really crazy! I need to use the Boost filesystem
    > for the manipulation of directories, and I have no idea how to
    > install this filesystem on my IBM-compatible machine.
    > Does anyone up here know how to do this?

    Please explain how the means of installing a filesystem on an IBM-compatible
    machine is "ON TOPIC" in a forum intended for discussion of the C++ language
    as defined by the ISO C++ standard?

    DW
    David White, Aug 17, 2003
  18. perseus

    red floyd Guest

    Re: Troll Alert: How Do We Configure the BOOST Filesystem Library?

    [perseus redacted]

    Simple. <http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame75.html>
    red floyd, Aug 18, 2003
  19. perseus