How do we recognize veterans as veterans?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Victor Bazarov, Aug 15, 2007.

  1. Just asking...

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 15, 2007

  2. Victor Bazarov

    asterisc Guest

    On Aug 15, 2:44 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Just asking...

    1. Valid "int _tmain", "void main", etc.
    2..
    3. Their output do appear.

    asterisc, Aug 15, 2007

  3. Hi!

    Victor Bazarov schrieb:
    > Just asking...

    Do you want to know why we like you? ;) Wait a sec...

    How to recognize newbies:
    4. Posting the question in the subject line only. body (nearly) empty.

    ;)

    Frank

    Frank Birbacher, Aug 15, 2007
  4. On Aug 15, 2:44 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    > Just asking...

    1 .They are short-bad tempered...
    2. They are sarcastic with a vitriolic tongue...
    3. they say off-topic alot

    :)
    hurcan

    hurcan solter, Aug 15, 2007
  5. hurcan solter wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 2:44 pm, "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote:
    >> Just asking...

    > 1 .They are short-bad tempered...
    > 2. They are sarcastic with a vitriolic tongue...
    > 3. they say off-topic alot

    No matter what, I'm still not doing your homework for ya !

    Gianni Mariani, Aug 15, 2007
  6. Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Just asking...

    - In jokes - "there's an error on line 42 of your code" when people
    assume anyone who reads posts about stacktraces or "it SEGFAULTS"
    without example code it must be psychic?
    - Complaining about top-posting or signature quoting?
    - A signature that complains about the above?
    - A tendency not to make wild assumptions about performance hits for
    feature X?
    - Generalised rules of thumb that never say never?
    - Able to take warnings and error messages seriously ("Sure the compiler
    complained a lot, but it was just being silly")

    Alan

    Alan Woodland, Aug 15, 2007
  7. They refer people to the FAQs, have real jobs,
    and participate infrequently because they have
    side projects that won't get finished if they
    spend all their time on these newsgroups. ;-)

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:

    Thomas Matthews, Aug 15, 2007
  8. Hi!

    Thomas Matthews schrieb:
    > They refer people to the FAQs, have real jobs,
    > and participate infrequently because they have
    > side projects that won't get finished if they
    > spend all their time on these newsgroups. ;-)

    Not getting finished on other things beside the newsgroups is a problem
    of mine since I began posting here recently. There is always the need to
    check for new messages. :)

    Frank

    Frank Birbacher, Aug 15, 2007
  9. Victor Bazarov

    Bo Persson Guest

    Never top posts. Never quotes 10 line signatures.

    Bo Persson

    Thomas Matthews wrote:
    :: They refer people to the FAQs, have real jobs,
    :: and participate infrequently because they have
    :: side projects that won't get finished if they
    :: spend all their time on these newsgroups. ;-)
    ::
    :: --
    :: Thomas Matthews
    ::
    :: C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    :: http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    :: C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite
    :: C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
    :: alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    :: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/learn/faq/
    :: Other sites:
    :: http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book
    :: http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl -- Standard Template Library

    Bo Persson, Aug 15, 2007
  10. Victor Bazarov

    Just me Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 07:44:12 -0400, Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Just asking...

    I think true veterans are recognized more by what they don't say rather
    than what they do say.

    Folks get to a certain point where they are content to just listen, say
    very little, and make their few words have immense meaning.

    Just me, Aug 16, 2007
  11. Thomas J. Gritzan, Aug 17, 2007