How do we recognize veterans as veterans?

Frank Birbacher

Hi!

Victor said:
Just asking...

Do you want to know why we like you? ;) Wait a sec...

How to recognize newbies:
4. Posting the question in the subject line only. body (nearly) empty.

;)

Frank

Gianni Mariani

hurcan said:
1 .They are short-bad tempered...
2. They are sarcastic with a vitriolic tongue...
3. they say off-topic alot

No matter what, I'm still not doing your homework for ya !

Alan Woodland

Victor said:
Just asking...
- In jokes - "there's an error on line 42 of your code" when people
assume anyone who reads posts about stacktraces or "it SEGFAULTS"
without example code it must be psychic?
- Complaining about top-posting or signature quoting?
- A signature that complains about the above?
- A tendency not to make wild assumptions about performance hits for
feature X?
- Generalised rules of thumb that never say never?
- Able to take warnings and error messages seriously ("Sure the compiler
complained a lot, but it was just being silly")

Alan

Thomas Matthews

They refer people to the FAQs, have real jobs,
and participate infrequently because they have
side projects that won't get finished if they
spend all their time on these newsgroups. ;-)

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Frank Birbacher

Hi!

Thomas said:
They refer people to the FAQs, have real jobs,
and participate infrequently because they have
side projects that won't get finished if they
spend all their time on these newsgroups. ;-)

Not getting finished on other things beside the newsgroups is a problem
of mine since I began posting here recently. There is always the need to
check for new messages. :)

Frank

Bo Persson

Never top posts. Never quotes 10 line signatures.

Bo Persson

Thomas Matthews wrote:
:: They refer people to the FAQs, have real jobs,
:: and participate infrequently because they have
:: side projects that won't get finished if they
:: spend all their time on these newsgroups. ;-)
::
:: --
:: Thomas Matthews
::
:: C++ newsgroup welcome message:
:: http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
:: C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite
:: C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
:: alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
:: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/learn/faq/
:: Other sites:
:: http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book
:: http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl -- Standard Template Library

Just me

Just asking...

I think true veterans are recognized more by what they don't say rather
than what they do say.

Folks get to a certain point where they are content to just listen, say
very little, and make their few words have immense meaning.