How do you allow any n digit password in htaccess/psswrd?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Jun 17, 2010.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    Can you go about allowing *any* n digit password (along with a
    particular username) to allow a select number of people to access
    a file or folder using the simple technology of htaccess/passwd?

    When you make an .htaccess you put in something like

    AuthUserFile /public/something.org.au/.htpasswd
    AuthType Basic
    AuthName "members"
    Require valid-user

    and you use an encrypter to generate the password that goes into
    ..htpassd and it might look like this:

    johnsmith:hgcrBSZ7XJ6hq

    If it was just

    johnsmith:

    I assume it would be accessible on mere correct name entry?

    Is there anything you could write if you wanted any 7 digit
    number (0-9 to be used) in any order without having to supply all
    permutations. Or is htaccess/htpasswd not that sophisticated?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 17, 2010

  2. On 17 June, 04:24, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Can you go about allowing *any* n digit password (along with a
    > particular username) to allow a select number of people to access
    > a file or folder using the simple technology of htaccess/passwd?
    >
    > When you make an .htaccess you put in something like
    >
    > AuthUserFile /public/something.org.au/.htpasswd
    > AuthType Basic
    > AuthName "members"
    > Require valid-user
    >
    > and you use an encrypter to generate the password that goes into
    > .htpassd and it might look like this:
    >
    > johnsmith:hgcrBSZ7XJ6hq
    >
    > If it was just
    >
    > johnsmith:
    >
    > I assume it would be accessible on mere correct name entry?
    >
    > Is there anything you could write if you wanted any 7 digit
    > number (0-9 to be used) in any order without having to supply all
    > permutations. Or is htaccess/htpasswd not that sophisticated?
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    I would suggest that the correct forum for this sort of question would
    be:
    alt.apache.configuration
    Captain Paralytic, Jun 17, 2010

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <

    Captain Paralytic <> wrote:

    > On 17 June, 04:24, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Can you go about allowing *any* n digit password (along with a
    > > particular username) to allow a select number of people to access
    > > a file or folder using the simple technology of htaccess/passwd? ...

    > I would suggest that the correct forum for this sort of question would
    > be:
    > alt.apache.configuration

    Thank you. I will go there and talk to heartless strangers... <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 17, 2010