How do you change browser shortcut icons?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark Parnell, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    In our last episode, Duncan pronounced to alt.html:

    http://favicon.com/

    > This is not through any action on my part but
    > evidently due to something in the website.

    Correct.

    > (I don't think I ever
    > noticed that in IE, which I have now dumped, but then I am not a very
    > observant person.)

    IE only displays it once the page is bookmarked (other browsers show it
    in the address bar immediately), and will drop them from time to time.
    They then won't display until you visit that site again.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Mark Parnell

    Duncan Guest

    I have recently started using Firefox. I've noticed that many of the
    icons in my bookmarks change to a logo reflecting the website once I
    have visited it. This is not through any action on my part but
    evidently due to something in the website. (I don't think I ever
    noticed that in IE, which I have now dumped, but then I am not a very
    observant person.)

    Is it something to do with this;

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>

    I have been looking at a number of websites whose icons now show in my
    bookmarks but have not spotted a common thread yet. Unobservant or
    what? I was expecting it to be a bit of javascript but can see nothing
    'obvious'.

    Any ideas? Thanks
    To reply by email delete nospam
    Duncan, Oct 4, 2005

  3. Duncan wrote:
    > I have recently started using Firefox. I've noticed that many of the
    > icons in my bookmarks change to a logo reflecting the website once I
    > have visited it. This is not through any action on my part but
    > evidently due to something in the website. (I don't think I ever
    > noticed that in IE, which I have now dumped, but then I am not a very
    > observant person.)
    >
    > Is it something to do with this;
    >
    ><link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>
    >
    > I have been looking at a number of websites whose icons now show in my
    > bookmarks but have not spotted a common thread yet. Unobservant or
    > what? I was expecting it to be a bit of javascript but can see nothing
    > 'obvious'.

    It's obvious enough even in that small paste you just did. ;)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

    (I don't usually use Wikipedia for tech-ish matters, but a brief Google
    didn't come up with anything that looked any better.)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Mark Parnell

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 06:56:53 GMT, Duncan wrote:

    : Is it something to do with this;
    :
    : <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>

    Yes.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 4, 2005
  5. Mark Parnell

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Duncan quothed:

    > I have recently started using Firefox. I've noticed that many of the
    > icons in my bookmarks change to a logo reflecting the website once I
    > have visited it. This is not through any action on my part but
    > evidently due to something in the website. (I don't think I ever
    > noticed that in IE, which I have now dumped, but then I am not a very
    > observant person.)
    >
    > Is it something to do with this;
    >
    > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>
    >
    > I have been looking at a number of websites whose icons now show in my
    > bookmarks but have not spotted a common thread yet. Unobservant or
    > what? I was expecting it to be a bit of javascript but can see nothing
    > 'obvious'.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks

    Yeah, I have a great one! Since yoyos are inherently up-and-down types
    of devices, don't you think it's about time to *lower* the price for a
    change??

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Oct 4, 2005
  6. Mark Parnell

    Duncan Guest

    Thanks Mark, that's all I need. Never heard of favicon so penny never
    dropped from snippet quoted in post. Will take a shufty.

    Duncan

    Duncan, Oct 4, 2005
  7. Duncan in news::

    > I don't think I ever
    > noticed that in IE,

    in mozilla (firefox) type "ico" to filter your about:config
    i think there are three variables/prefs related to icons showing in address bar, bookmarks,
    etc ... (google for info :) )

    i think same is true for kmeleon
    Quasimido CSS, Oct 6, 2005