How do *you* deal with finding properties files?

Paul Guermonprez

do you know "Preferences", in java 1.4.X ?
you don't even need to know if they are files or
windows registry entries, or in memory ...

just get/put preferences for a specific classname or a string
and you will get/put them directly.

paul.

Guest

As a followup to my previous posts, what method do YOU use for finding
properties files? I'm not talking about things that are doing to be
displayed, necessarily. More along the lines of this... let's say you've
got 5 properties files:

global.properties
database.properties
log.properties
xyz.properties
otherstuff.properties

Each properties file deals with a different subsystem in, say, a web application.
These properties must also be read by several standalone applications running on
the same machine.

How would you make sure you find them? Would you hard-code all the properties
files names? Just the global one, and all the others would be named in the
global properties? Would all properties file paths be handed to the app via
System properties? Would they be found in the classpath?

I'm looking for a good, all-encompassing, systematized way of dealing with
multiple properties files.

- Tim