How do you design a website?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
Why would you want to debilitate web pages when they can remove the
problem? I now have to remove my glasses and hold a book very close
to my eyes in order to read it (and I still read several books per
week). It's not comfortable, and I only do it in bed. Why would you
want to make web pages as difficult to read when the concept makes
them flexible and legible to anyone?

Well, it's like this. I simply don't believe that the onus of making a web
page completely (so-called-)"accessible" rests with the pagemaker. What
there should be is client-side software that is capable of adapting a
"normal" page to compensate for the various deficiencies human beings are
prone to throughout their lives or acquired by accident or birth. The
Opera whole-page zoom feature is a good if nacent example of this.

Sure, some care can and should be taken to allow for the web's natural
advantage at rendering a page in various ways to suit various visitors.
But what is the limit? I've read several of the "official"
useability/accessibility guidelines for web authors, and, to be blunt, they
are a fucking joke. Certain people here promote making a page generally
ipod capable, and that is a joke. Furthermore, I quite agree with Travis
Newbury that "fixed" pages are more appropriate in certain instances. I
don't particularly like them and won't visit "bells-and-bangles" sites, but
that doesn't invalidate the fact.

A normally well-made and valid web page is not debilitated. If _you_ can't
read it, the fault lies at your end.

Neredbojias

Which is a disadvantage of books and an advantage to the web. When
web has so many other disadvantages compared to books, we should be
sure to make use of it's advantages, such as the ability to scale
automatically to viewport size.

I go along with that, although not exclusively. There are exceptions. For
instance, suppose I wanted to make a web page of a working abacus? The
little doohickeys that go up and down could hardly word wrap with any
semblence of normalcy.
Believe me, there's a lot of people with site impairment and there
will be many more in the next decade or two as the baby-boomers age.
Baby boomers have a lot of money so why drive them away from your
site?

Uh, baby-boomers were propogated in the years shortly after World War 2.
They're pretty much old fossils by now and probably get acid indigestion
when confronted by computer-related subjects, anyway.

dorayme

Uh, baby-boomers were propogated in the years shortly after World War 2.
They're pretty much old fossils by now and probably get acid indigestion
when confronted by computer-related subjects, anyway.

You speak for yourself you old codger...

Chris F.A. Johnson

Uh, baby-boomers were propogated in the years shortly after World War 2.
They're pretty much old fossils by now

Speak for yourself!
and probably get acid indigestion
when confronted by computer-related subjects, anyway.

I am a baby boomer, and my parents, children and one of my
grandchildren (the other is only 6 months old, so give him a year
or two) are all comfortable using computers.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Neredbojias said:
Uh, baby-boomers were propogated in the years shortly after World War
2. They're pretty much old fossils by now and probably get acid
indigestion when confronted by computer-related subjects, anyway.

Uh, some of us were even born *before* WW2. I don't consider myself an
old fossil, not even a little bit. Never get acid indigestion, either.

Ed Seedhouse

Uh, baby-boomers were propogated in the years shortly after World War 2.
They're pretty much old fossils by now and probably get acid indigestion
when confronted by computer-related subjects, anyway.

Ah, I thought I was discussing something with a reasonably intelligent
person, but in fact you're just a predjudiced idiot. The president of
the United States of America is a baby boomer, as is nearly everyone
else with lots of money and power. The youngest boomers are now 42. The
oldest are 60.

Myself, I'm too old to be a boomer and I design web pages and administer
computer networks for a living.

Oh well, now that you've revealed yourself as an idiot I can toss you in
the "ignore" file and be much more relaxed.

Travis Newbury

Ed said:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:49:30 -0500, Neredbojias
Ah, I thought I was discussing something with a reasonably intelligent
person, but in fact you're just a predjudiced idiot. The president of
the United States of America is a baby boomer, as is nearly everyone
else with lots of money and power. The youngest boomers are now 42. The
oldest are 60.
Myself, I'm too old to be a boomer and I design web pages and administer
computer networks for a living.
Oh well, now that you've revealed yourself as an idiot I can toss you in
the "ignore" file and be much more relaxed.

Changing the topic here a little Ed. While Neredbojias and I disagree
on may things (all things?) He is offers more good advice than most,
and is only included in the ignore files of the foolish, closed minded,
or humorless.

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Uh, baby-boomers were propogated in the years shortly after World War 2.
They're pretty much old fossils by now and probably get acid indigestion
when confronted by computer-related subjects, anyway.

Actually, the "baby boom generation" is those born 1946 - 1964. So, no,
we're not all that decrepit ... yet. ;-)

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
You speak for yourself you old codger...

Hehehe, oh, I do, I do. Still tickles my funny bone to see a sexagenerian
humped over a keyboard, though.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
Speak for yourself!

Certanellment! At least when I remember to...
I am a baby boomer, and my parents, children and one of my
grandchildren (the other is only 6 months old, so give him a year
or two) are all comfortable using computers.

I don't doubt there are exceptions nor that you are a notable exception
yourself.

Chris F.A. Johnson

To further the education of mankind, dorayme

Hehehe, oh, I do, I do. Still tickles my funny bone to see a sexagenerian
humped over a keyboard, though.

It's the youngsters who are usually "humped over a keyboard"; the
older folk were taught better posture.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
Uh, some of us were even born *before* WW2. I don't consider myself an
old fossil, not even a little bit. Never get acid indigestion, either.

Well, it wasn't my intention to insult fogies, etc., and I am indeed awed
by your uncommon resilience, slipping or not. In my own past, I've run
across several old-timers who seemed to have developed a special form of
idiosyncratic turpitude since they didn't have any tv to watch as children.

Neredbojias

Ah, I thought I was discussing something with a reasonably intelligent
person, but in fact you're just a predjudiced idiot. The president of
the United States of America is a baby boomer, as is nearly everyone
else with lots of money and power. The youngest boomers are now 42.
The oldest are 60.

Myself, I'm too old to be a boomer and I design web pages and
administer computer networks for a living.

Oh well, now that you've revealed yourself as an idiot I can toss you
in the "ignore" file and be much more relaxed.

Well, it's rather obvious you need to relax more if for no other reason
than to conserve what little productive resources you have left. To take a
point at random, there are baby-boomers older than 60 for sure.

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Travis Newbury"
Changing the topic here a little Ed. While Neredbojias and I disagree
on may things (all things?) He is offers more good advice than most,
and is only included in the ignore files of the foolish, closed minded,
or humorless.

Merci for the vote-of-confidence, Travis. I take back five-eighths of the
crass things I said about you in the past...

Neredbojias

Actually, the "baby boom generation" is those born 1946 - 1964. So,
no, we're not all that decrepit ... yet. ;-)

I didn't know that an official timespan had been established for the bb's.
1964 seems a stretch to me; baby-boomers themselves could be the parents of
such a diaper-dirtier.