How do you do multi user apps on Jboss/J2EE?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ryan Boder, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Ryan Boder

    Ryan Boder Guest

    I am fairly new to J2EE and am using Jboss for my app server. I need
    to implement the concept of multiple users, like many enterprise
    systems do. How is that usually done?

    I guess since authorization is outside of the scope of J2EE, it is
    usually dependent on the J2EE server, but I'm not sure.

    After studying the Jboss docs for a while I have come up with a simple
    way that will probably work, but I hope to benefit from others
    experience before I go do it.

    I am thinking that I can store usernames and passwords in entity beans
    and then create a JAAS LoginModule that checks the beans to see if the
    given user and password are correct for authentication. Then I can
    make sure the user is allowed to access the bean that contains the
    method being called using a Jboss SecurityProxy on the remote
    interfaces and storing the owner in each private bean. The security
    proxy would make sure the authenticated principal matches the bean
    owner before allowing access to the bean.

    1. JAAS Login by verifying the given password matches the one in the
    user entity bean.
    2. Make sure authenticated user matches bean owner for the bean being
    called.

    I think this will work, but I know that many others have done multi
    user secure apps on Jboss, so please tell me if you know a better or
    more common way.

    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Ryan Boder, Sep 3, 2003