How Do You Get Around ActiveX Block Content

Tony

I have a windows media file that I want to play on a webpage but the
stupid activex content blocker keeps on poping up. I have heard that
there is a way of getting around this or to preload the content. Does
anyone know how to do this?

Ivan Marsh

I have a windows media file that I want to play on a webpage but the
stupid activex content blocker keeps on poping up.

Stupid? I think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

You don't get to decide if someone allows activeX on their machine or not.

VK

I have a windows media file that I want to play on a webpage but the
stupid activex content blocker keeps on poping up. I have heard that
there is a way of getting around this or to preload the content. Does
anyone know how to do this?

<iframe src="blank.html" name="loophole" style="display:none"></iframe>

That is cross-UA's. IE-specifically it is the best to script bgsound
element on the page (it's ActiveX independent).

Randy Webb

Tony said the following on 10/31/2006 12:43 PM:
I have a windows media file that I want to play on a webpage but the
stupid activex content blocker keeps on poping up.

Yep, that's what happens when you embed media files.
I have heard that there is a way of getting around this or to
preload the content. Does anyone know how to do this?

Use document.write to create the embed element rather than hard coding
it (that is the solution offered by MS). Don't fall for the IFrame hack.
At least stick to MS' hack for it's own problem. The warning on embed is
the results of the EOLAS suit brought against MS.

Tony

Here's what I actually found out from doing my research today...

First off, the ActiveX content blocker happens when you have an
external javascript file on your hard drive that your html page is
referencing. So once you place the files on a server then you dont'
have to worry about that part of the blocking. What I did find out is
that it also blocks anything with an "on" event such as onclick
onmouseover and so forth.

There really is no way to get around the content blocker when the files
are on your hard drive and they include a call to a javascript file.

Personally I'm a Firefox guy because it just seems to give me the least
amount of head aches.

Randy Webb

Tony said the following on 11/1/2006 12:19 AM:
Here's what I actually found out from doing my research today...

Did your research also turn up any references to quoting what you are
replying to?
First off, the ActiveX content blocker happens when you have an
external javascript file on your hard drive that your html page is
referencing.

Non-sense. Whether it is external or not is irrelevant. Put an empty
script element in a page that is set to default settings and test the
page. You will still get the Active Content warning. (It's an Active
Content, not an ActiveX content warning).
So once you place the files on a server then you dont'
have to worry about that part of the blocking.

Search for "The Mark Of The Web" and you can even stop that.
What I did find out is that it also blocks anything with an "on" event
such as onclick onmouseover and so forth.

Reference? I have never even heard of that.
There really is no way to get around the content blocker when the files
are on your hard drive and they include a call to a javascript file.

Nonsense. Research Mark Of The Web. It's trivial. What it *does* do when
you use the MOTW is put you in the Internet Zone so that you can't
reference anything on the Hard Drive.

Guest

What I did find out is that it also blocks anything with an "on" event
Reference? I have never even heard of that.

IE may not block all "on" events, but I was having a problem making a
script work, so instead of using:
onClick="myFunction()"

I did:
href="javascript:myFunction()"

I'm not sure why it worked, but it solved my problem in that case.

Randy Webb

spamgrabs said the following on 11/16/2006 5:01 PM:
IE may not block all "on" events, but I was having a problem making a
script work, so instead of using:
onClick="myFunction()"

I did:
href="javascript:myFunction()"

I'm not sure why it worked, but it solved my problem in that case.

There was something else in the page that caused it to break then.

Guest

There was something else in the page that caused it to break then.

If changing the way I called the script was the only thing I changed,
and it worked then, what else could have been the problem?

Do you have some reference on how to go about avoiding IE blocking your
script?

Below is the script I did. It was the only one on the page. Is there
something in here that would cause IE to block it that I'm not aware
of?

function expandCollapse(thisDiv) {

var count=1, totalDivs=5, obj, objName;

while (count<totalDivs+1) {