    How is this done?
    I assume for starters it is on a windows system with asp obiously, but how
    to accomplish.
    Danny, May 10, 2004

  2. In addition to using a 404 page and parse the URL to determine what product
    to display dynamically, the pages COULD be created beforehand to generate
    static content (much less taxing on a system). Whenever the admin interface
    makes a change to a particular product, it updates the "static" page --
    which only needs to be static between updates.

    I use this technique for my RSS XML feed, and also toyed with generating
    static .HTM files (one for each article).

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    "Danny" <> wrote in message
    > I am tyring to find the site, but I am seeing more and more web sites with
    > the really long html names and also nicely broken down by category that

    sits

    http://forthekitchen.someappliances...nges/white/4564-kenmore-best-white-fridge.asp

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, May 10, 2004

  3. Danny wrote:
    > I am tyring to find the site, but I am seeing more and more web sites
    > with
    > the really long html names and also nicely broken down by category
    > that sits
    > on a related directory and/or subdomain on the server.
    >
    > so like:
    > a white kenmore gasrange would be:

    http://forthekitchen.someappliances...nges/white/4564-kenmore-best-white-fridge.asp

    > and the model number and title combined into one page name.
    > are these page names generated before hand? wow!!
    >
    > How is this done?
    > I assume for starters it is on a windows system with asp obiously,
    > but how
    > to accomplish.

    I do not think these names are being generated on the fly. I think the
    designers actually created a separate asp page for each of their products,
    using the naming convention to identify them.

    I suppose the possibility exists that they generated the names of pages that
    do not exist and used a custom 404 page to parse the names to cause the
    resulting page to display the product described, but I doubt it.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 10, 2004
  4. > I do not think these names are being generated on the fly. I think the
    > designers actually created a separate asp page for each of their products,
    > using the naming convention to identify them.

    I think it's plausible that it was a combination of manual/on the fly.
    Consider a normalized schema where each unique product has exactly one row
    in a view, it would be trivial to write a "page generator" that created a
    page (folder/page name based on specific properties) with the page content
    from the view; one page per product.

    An admin page could be constructed to either (a) rebuild the entire set of
    pages, or (b) take a specific product ID and rebuild just that one.
    Sometime I should show you the ASPFAQ admin interface; one of the tasks the
    final save page has when updating/adding an article is that the RSS XML file
    is rebuilt (rather than have that page generated on the fly when it is
    requested, it is static until it needs to change). At one point it also
    built a static HTML file for just that article, but I ditched that feature.

    This wouldn't necessarily have to be done by ASP either, but this is useful
    if you want to handle the updates on demand along with the other updates.
    If you want to schedule it (e.g. build all the pages once a day,
    incorporating the day's changes), you could use something else (e.g. C#).
    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, May 10, 2004