how do you move to a new line in your text editor?

Jorge Godoy

Mc Osten said:
Because I tried it and it just lacks a lot of functionality you get with
TextMate or Emacs. It is quite stupid when indenting, just to name one.

This is the main motive I don't use PyDev with Eclipse... It is a lot more
stupid than python-mode on Emacs with regards to indenting... :-(

--
Jorge Godoy <[email protected]>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.

Jorge Godoy

Fabio Zadrozny said:
Which indenting features do you find missing? Note: 1.0.3 -- still unreleased
-- has implemented if / elif /else auto unindent...

The most basic one is not having my code moving forward with sucessive TABs
pressed. When I press TAB on Emacs it use a soft tab (i.e. what Eclips calls
'space-tab') and indent my code to the next indentation level and stop
indenting. Even when in the middle of the line and if I'm in the beginning of
the line it moves the cursor to the beginning of the code.

Another that is related is pressing that to remove indentation from the code:
TAB means go to the next indentation level, no matter where the line starts.

The third is using BACKSPACE to remove indentation from my code: if I'm in a
nesting level and I want to move my code one level down, I have to press
backspace 'n' times (n == the number of spaces used by soft tabs in my Eclipse
configuration) on lines where I have code. (The menu option 'Python
backspace' doesn't work.)

These are the most annoying things since in Python indentation matters and we
use it a lot.

--
Jorge Godoy <[email protected]>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.

Fabio Zadrozny

Jorge said:
This is the main motive I don't use PyDev with Eclipse... It is a lot more
stupid than python-mode on Emacs with regards to indenting... :-(

--
Fabio Zadrozny
Software Developer

ESSS - Engineering Simulation and Scientific Software
www.esss.com.br

Pydev Extensions
www.fabioz.com/pydev

PyDev - Python Development Enviroment for Eclipse
pydev.sf.net
pydev.blogspot.com

Fabio Zadrozny

Ok, I'm putting those in my 'todo-list' ;-)

-- keep an eye open for future releases...

Cheers,

Fabio

Jorge said:
[...]

Xavier Morel

John said:
So I'm wondering, how do you all handle moving around in your code in
cases like this? Is there some sort of consistency to these things that
you can write rules for your text editor to know when to outdent? It
doesn't seem like you can do this reliably, though.
Under windows, I'm using SciTE which is an extremely lightweight editor,
but it handlers "smart unindent": pressing backspace at the beginning of
a line unindents one level, whether you're indenting with tabs (and need
to remove a tab) or space (and need to remove 2, 4, 8 spaces) doesn't
matter. And since SciTE also has Visual Studio's smart home key (home
brings you first at the beginning of the text == current indent, then at
the beginning of the line itself == indent level 0)

SciTE also features "somewhat smart" indent from time to time: it
indents one level after a ":". This is good for if/else/while/..., but
it also indents one level after ":" in dicts, which is way bad.
Oh, and it automatically unindents one level after a "return" statement.

Other than that, SciTE doesn't really "understand" python, if you want a
really pythonic editor you need to check Stani's Python Editor, WingsIDE
or Komodo.