How do you pass credentials from a classic ASP app to ASP.NET 2.0?

CK

Good morning all,
We have a classic asp application on our local intranet. Employees log in to
and use the app. We recently added some additional functionality to the site
and this was written in .net 2.0. How can I discover that a user has already
logged in and been authenticated in classic asp and let the new 2.0 app no
that the user has already been authenticated? Currently they log in in
classic and then they are forced to log in again when they hit the .net 2.0
areas. Any ideas / suggestions?

TIA,
~CK

CK

Mark Rae said:
Not without knowing how the authentication process works in your ASP
Classic site...

We have roles and groups in a SQL server database. If the user is part of
the appropriate group or role, they can view the current page. We have user
names and passwords. these are the same ones used in .NET 2.0.

Mark Rae

We have roles and groups in a SQL server database. If the user is part of
the appropriate group or role, they can view the current page. We have
user names and passwords. these are the same ones used in .NET 2.0.

In which case, I can't really see what the problem is... Can't your .NET 2
site connect to the same database as your ASP Classic site...?

CK

yes it uses the same SQL database but is there a way I can check if a user
has been authenticated.

Mark Rae

yes it uses the same SQL database but is there a way I can check if a user
has been authenticated.

Er, well unless I'm *really* missing something here, can't your ASP.NET app
check whether a user has been authenticated in exactly the same way as your
ASP app does, since they both use the same database...?

CK

Mark Rae said:
Er, well unless I'm *really* missing something here, can't your ASP.NET
app check whether a user has been authenticated in exactly the same way as
your ASP app does, since they both use the same database...?

I am a dumbshit, I forgot to mention, in the classic app, if you are
authenticated through windows by logging into the domain, you are not forced
to login in the classic app. I am trying to get the same behavior in the
..NET app.Thanks for your help.

~CK

Mark Rae

I am a dumbshit, I forgot to mention, in the classic app, if you are
authenticated through windows by logging into the domain, you are not
forced to login in the classic app. I am trying to get the same behavior
in the .NET app.Thanks for your help.

Sigh... it's like drawing teeth...

HOW ARE YOU PERFORMING THE AUTHENTICATION IN THE ASP CLASSIC APP????

Show us the code. It's almost certainly a very simple thing to convert the
code to VB.NET / C# and add it in to your ASP.NET app...

CK

Mark Rae said:
Sigh... it's like drawing teeth...

HOW ARE YOU PERFORMING THE AUTHENTICATION IN THE ASP CLASSIC APP????

Show us the code. It's almost certainly a very simple thing to convert the
code to VB.NET / C# and add it in to your ASP.NET app...

Marc I believe the classic app uses Windows Authentication and the net 2.0
app uses forms authentication.