How do you perceive programming? how do you look at the quality ofsoftware? Help needed with a quick

Arne Vajhøj

Wow thank you so much Lipska You have pointed it out well. All I need
is 10 -12 programmers who can carry out a quick task and answer a few
questions. But, some people soon begin to think they are above
others.

Are you talking about the individual that does not think the
"do not multi-post" apply to him??

Arne

Lars Enderin

2013-03-07 13:47, Jukka Lahtinen skrev:
Having fun talking to yourself?

He seems to have problems with using the right buttons/links in Google
Groups. Replies/followups should be directed to the post(er) he is
replying to. There is certainly some help available in the GG application.

David Lamb

Personally, I can send the word doc over email

Not everybody uses Word or any one text processor's formats. PDF is more
widely used, and HTML even more widely.

Are the questions of the sort that surveymonkey.com could deal with? You
can ask up to 10 questions in a variety of simple formats.

I still don't think a survey like this will give you useful information,
but if you're determined to go ahead, those are better alternatives IMHO.

Lew

Can you please help with a quick short survey which looks at the perceptions of programmers and also how they look at the quality of software???

you clearly have no idea of what my disso is about and what i [sic] need doing.s o if you sad people can help

What is a "disso"?
then feel free otherwise stop wasting my time. you clearly have nothing else to do. if your so clever
and smart why not take up the challenge and lets see if you can answer my questions.

You insult us and expect us to help? You are rude because you cop an attitude when you are supposedly
ask for help. You call us names. You disregard good technical advice. You act as if you are the
sole human incarnation of God Herself. Your grammar and survey technique indicate that you are
not a very good researcher or well educated. Your defensiveness and prickly personality indicate
that you are a very unpleasant person indeed.

Lew

David said:
Dissertation -- the writeup of his research.

Then why not just say "dissertation" instead of coining a new word for it?

Must be a seventh-grade (sixth-form) "disso", based on the methodology the OP describes.

komal singh

Lipska has so to speak, hit the nail on the head. I asked a question which was reposted by myself. Then I get a bunch of guys attacking me for what I had done. This is a public group therefore I joined, if you have an issue with how others act then maybe you should start a private group. ALL I ASKEDFOR WAS SOME HELP. Disso is a term that is used widely across the UK, regardless of what class or year you are in. Stop trying to pick up on everything like little kids.

Too much time on your hands results in negative thoughts and actions!!!

whopps i used one too many exclamation marks. please don't tell me off.

Arved Sandstrom

Never seen it before you used it and I was probably programming before
you were born.
[ SNIP ]

Could've figured it out from context, but it's the first time I've heard
of the term myself, and I read a fair bit of modern colloquial English
literature. Fair bit of hubris on anyone's part to imagine that a slang
term peculiar to an exclusive group in one specific era is known by most
everyone...especially considering that a majority of folks on this NG
aren't from the UK.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

I asked a question
which was reposted by myself. Then I get a bunch of guys attacking me
for what I had done.

Not correct:

You got a very polite response asking you not to
multipost.

##Please do not multipost.

And then you started the attack:

#no need to show so much attitude... its my university project i'm
#asking help for not some cocky answer.
This is a public group therefore I joined,

You really don't join a usenet group, but Google may make it look so.
if
you have an issue with how others act then maybe you should start a
private group.

Bad behavior on your part should not cause other to leave.
ALL I ASKED FOR WAS SOME HELP.

If that was all, then you would have gotten help.

But you were being rude when asked to follow usenet
etiquette.

The you do not get much help.
Disso is a term that is
used widely across the UK, regardless of what class or year you are
in.

If that is the case, then it is perfectly valid to use the
term in a forum for UK students.

But cljp is not such a forum.

So it is no excuse.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Don't you find it illuminating that the large majority of new posters to
cljp end up in a defensive position due to the relentless criticism they
encounter from a notable few individuals in this group?

Well - they don't.

The majority of new posters here seem to have the social skills
necessary to ask a question and process feedback, so they get help
and since a good portion of them come back, then they must also consider
it good help.

Occasionally - maybe once every two month or so - we get a new poster
that is convinced that rules does not apply to him (or her) and that
he (or she) can dictate how others should answer or comment. They don't
get much help. And they leave. And I don't think that many miss them.
If you just answered the question then I suggest that much of the
pointless noise in this group would simply disappear.

You seems to represent most of the noise, so you could easily
reduce the nose levels.

But then that is not what trolls do.

Arne

komal singh

Hi Lipska,

I have created the questionnaire through survey-monkey, please could you take a look when you have some free time?

Thank You

David Lamb

In his head and in the heads of the other members of the cabal.

Less pejoratively worded, and as I alluded to previously, they're tied
up in decades of culture -- and like any culture, many of the "rules"
are unwritten and not everybody follows them all the time. An old-timer
might be forgiven a lapse that would be jumped on in a newcomer.

David Lamb

Hi Lipska,

I have created the questionnaire through survey-monkey, please could you take a look when you have some free time?

Where would we find it? surveymonkey should have given you a URL.

David Lamb

Where would we find it? surveymonkey should have given you a URL.

Sigh. I see you posted it in a different part of the thread. Lipska
would likely have done what you asked even had you only posted in the
one place. Or you could have made the request to him in the same message
as the URL.

Another bit of USENET culture: people don't always read a whole thread
before responding to individual messages, because it's not always easy
to go back and find the 3 related messages and answer them in one place.

David Lamb

Thanks for posting the link. Here are some criticisms of the survey itself.

You're asking for natural-language style answers, some of which seem to
me to require LONG essays to do anything more than a superficial job of
conveying what the respondent might be thinking. Also the answers of one
respondent might not be comparable at all to someone else' answers
because they'd make different interpretations of the questions and
decide to answer in different degrees of detail.

You need to ask more focused questions. If your supervisor is working in
this area, s/he ought to be able to find someone local, either within
the school or in a local software house, to refine the questions into
something more concrete and easier to answer.

There's no harm in a *few* open-ended questions -- most surveys have
*some* of that sort.

At the end you ask people to write a program. Asking a professional
programmer to volunteer time can be pretty dicey; they rightly expect to
be paid (and may be required to refuse free work by, for example, union
rules).