How do you stop swf from playing

donh

Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
files.

The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

Any help doing this would be great.

Thanks

DonH

Brian Cryer

donh said:
Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
files.

The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

Any help doing this would be great.

What "play" button are you referring to?

Flash expects to play/run as soon as it is loaded. So ...

... if the "play" button is part of the flash presentation then the problem
lies with the swf file, and the Flash needs to be fixed.

... if the "play" button is external to the flash presentation, then you
could try dynamically loading the swf when the user clicks the button.

donh

Brian,
Thanks for replying!

I havent made a play button yet, I need a play button or link to
activate the swf movie in a minuture window if the end user wants to
have the e-learning subject backed up by further explanation in the
movie file.

Sorry to say I don't understand enough to progress your suggestion,
could you expand a bit more please

Regards

Don

PS Controlling the movie through stop and pause would be useful too

Harlan Messinger

donh said:
Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
files.

The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

Inside the OBJECT element,

<param name="play" value="false">

and then

play="false"

inside the EMBED tag if you use it. (Has any browser since the
introduction of Netscape 6 required the EMBED tag for Flash to function?)

The full set of available PARAMs for Flash:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12701

donh

Harlan,

Thanks for your reply,

Ive put in the <param name="play" value="false"> but don't know where I
should be putting play="false"

Sorry I am very new to this

Thanks in anticipation

DonH

Harlan Messinger

Ive put in the <param name="play" value="false"> but don't know where I
should be putting play="false"

Inside the EMBED tag, as I said, assuming you use it.

donh

Funnily enough I did try the flash and dreamweaver forums before coming
here, both without a single reply. That's why I tried here, hoping you
guys would be good enough to help.

Regards

DonH

Travis Newbury

Brian said:
What "play" button are you referring to?
Flash expects to play/run as soon as it is loaded. So ...
.. if the "play" button is part of the flash presentation then the problem
lies with the swf file, and the Flash needs to be fixed.
.. if the "play" button is external to the flash presentation, then you
could try dynamically loading the swf when the user clicks the button.

Or if the swf used the enternal interface, the button could just tell
the swf to start playing (or anything else for that matter)

At some point in the game, the "turning on" or "turning off" of the swf
movie will be handled by the swf.

Travis Newbury

donh said:
Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
files.

The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

Any help doing this would be great.

How about supplying a url showing us what you are doing?

donh

Thanks for your reply, at present not able to put up a sample of what
I'm doing.

I think the problem may be coming from my CONVERTED swf. The file
originaly came from a screen capture performed by software called
Camtasia. I then used software from AVS to refine size and bit rate.
My problem has been that I have tried to follow books help files and
advice from this group but nothing seems to work as it should. Since
posting I have tried a different swf and I can get it to stop playing,
so that makes me think it is something to do with how the file has been
handled by the various programes.

Thanks again.