How do you stop swf from playing

Discussion in 'HTML' started by donh, Jan 10, 2007.

  1. donh

    donh Guest

    Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
    dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
    files.

    The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

    Any help doing this would be great.

    Thanks

    DonH
    donh, Jan 10, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. donh

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "donh" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
    > dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
    > files.
    >
    > The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    > rather than when the viewer selects a play button.
    >
    > Any help doing this would be great.


    What "play" button are you referring to?

    Flash expects to play/run as soon as it is loaded. So ...

    ... if the "play" button is part of the flash presentation then the problem
    lies with the swf file, and the Flash needs to be fixed.

    ... if the "play" button is external to the flash presentation, then you
    could try dynamically loading the swf when the user clicks the button.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Jan 10, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. donh

    donh Guest

    Brian,
    Thanks for replying!

    I havent made a play button yet, I need a play button or link to
    activate the swf movie in a minuture window if the end user wants to
    have the e-learning subject backed up by further explanation in the
    movie file.

    Sorry to say I don't understand enough to progress your suggestion,
    could you expand a bit more please

    Regards

    Don

    PS Controlling the movie through stop and pause would be useful too

    Brian Cryer wrote:
    > "donh" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
    > > dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
    > > files.
    > >
    > > The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    > > rather than when the viewer selects a play button.
    > >
    > > Any help doing this would be great.

    >
    > What "play" button are you referring to?
    >
    > Flash expects to play/run as soon as it is loaded. So ...
    >
    > .. if the "play" button is part of the flash presentation then the problem
    > lies with the swf file, and the Flash needs to be fixed.
    >
    > .. if the "play" button is external to the flash presentation, then you
    > could try dynamically loading the swf when the user clicks the button.
    > --
    > Brian Cryer
    > www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    donh, Jan 10, 2007
    #3
  4. donh wrote:
    > Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
    > dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
    > files.
    >
    > The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    > rather than when the viewer selects a play button.


    Inside the OBJECT element,

    <param name="play" value="false">

    and then

    play="false"

    inside the EMBED tag if you use it. (Has any browser since the
    introduction of Netscape 6 required the EMBED tag for Flash to function?)

    The full set of available PARAMs for Flash:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12701
    Harlan Messinger, Jan 10, 2007
    #4
  5. donh

    donh Guest

    Harlan,

    Thanks for your reply,

    Ive put in the <param name="play" value="false"> but don't know where I
    should be putting play="false"

    Sorry I am very new to this

    Thanks in anticipation

    DonH


    Harlan Messinger wrote:
    > donh wrote:
    > > Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
    > > dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
    > > files.
    > >
    > > The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    > > rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

    >
    > Inside the OBJECT element,
    >
    > <param name="play" value="false">
    >
    > and then
    >
    > play="false"
    >
    > inside the EMBED tag if you use it. (Has any browser since the
    > introduction of Netscape 6 required the EMBED tag for Flash to function?)
    >
    > The full set of available PARAMs for Flash:
    > http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_12701
    donh, Jan 10, 2007
    #5
  6. donh

    Bergamot Guest

    Bergamot, Jan 10, 2007
    #6
  7. donh wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >> donh wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    >>> rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

    >> Inside the OBJECT element,
    >>
    >> <param name="play" value="false">
    >>
    >> and then
    >>
    >> play="false"
    >>
    >> inside the EMBED tag if you use it. (Has any browser since the
    >> introduction of Netscape 6 required the EMBED tag for Flash to function?)


    > Ive put in the <param name="play" value="false"> but don't know where I
    > should be putting play="false"


    Inside the EMBED tag, as I said, assuming you use it.
    Harlan Messinger, Jan 10, 2007
    #7
  8. donh

    donh Guest

    donh, Jan 11, 2007
    #8
  9. Brian Cryer wrote:
    > > The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    > > rather than when the viewer selects a play button.

    > What "play" button are you referring to?
    > Flash expects to play/run as soon as it is loaded. So ...
    > .. if the "play" button is part of the flash presentation then the problem
    > lies with the swf file, and the Flash needs to be fixed.
    > .. if the "play" button is external to the flash presentation, then you
    > could try dynamically loading the swf when the user clicks the button.


    Or if the swf used the enternal interface, the button could just tell
    the swf to start playing (or anything else for that matter)

    At some point in the game, the "turning on" or "turning off" of the swf
    movie will be handled by the swf.
    Travis Newbury, Jan 11, 2007
    #9
  10. donh wrote:
    > Hi hope someone can help. I'm new to web pages and am trying to use
    > dreamweaver MX to develop some e-learning web pages, some use swf movie
    > files.
    >
    > The problem I have is that the swf files play when the page opens
    > rather than when the viewer selects a play button.
    >
    > Any help doing this would be great.


    How about supplying a url showing us what you are doing?
    Travis Newbury, Jan 11, 2007
    #10
  11. donh

    donh Guest

    Thanks for your reply, at present not able to put up a sample of what
    I'm doing.

    I think the problem may be coming from my CONVERTED swf. The file
    originaly came from a screen capture performed by software called
    Camtasia. I then used software from AVS to refine size and bit rate.
    My problem has been that I have tried to follow books help files and
    advice from this group but nothing seems to work as it should. Since
    posting I have tried a different swf and I can get it to stop playing,
    so that makes me think it is something to do with how the file has been
    handled by the various programes.

    Thanks again.


    Travis Newbury wrote:
    >
    > At some point in the game, the "turning on" or "turning off" of the swf
    > movie will be handled by the swf.
    donh, Jan 12, 2007
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Matt Theule

    Stop Debugging doesn't stop in ASP.NET

    Matt Theule, Jul 23, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    710
    Matt Theule
    Jul 24, 2003
  2. Trint Smith
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    493
    Trint Smith
    Feb 27, 2004
  3. Son KwonNam
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    2,573
    mr_organic
    Apr 9, 2004
  4. Will
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    15,169
    Thomas Weidenfeller
    Nov 2, 2004
  5. Angus
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    439
    Ben Bacarisse
    Jul 18, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page