    http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

    Many thanks,

    Roi

    RLC, Jan 31, 2012

  2. On Jan 31, 7:54 pm, RLC <> wrote:

    > I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
    > measurements have on developers’ general motivation and well-being.
    >
    > If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
    > your time and respond to this questionnaire.
    >
    > http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

    the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
    advertising for the particular tool.

    Nick Keighley, Feb 1, 2012

  3. On 2/1/2012 9:31 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 7:54 pm, RLC<> wrote:
    >
    >> I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
    >> measurements have on developers’ general motivation and well-being.
    >>
    >> If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
    >> your time and respond to this questionnaire.
    >>
    >> http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

    > the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
    > advertising for the particular tool.

    The advertising is probably very immaturely made, then. I've gone
    there, answered questions, and I can't recall either the name of the
    tool or their publisher... Nor do I care for those, really.

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 1, 2012
  4. RLC

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2012-02-01, Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > On 2/1/2012 9:31 AM, Nick Keighley wrote:
    >> On Jan 31, 7:54 pm, RLC<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am conducting research on the effects source code quality
    >>> measurements have on developers? general motivation and well-being.
    >>>
    >>> If you write code for a living, please give us just a few minutes of
    >>> your time and respond to this questionnaire.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=46061csldl

    >> the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
    >> advertising for the particular tool.

    > The advertising is probably very immaturely made, then. I've gone
    > there, answered questions, and I can't recall either the name of the
    > tool or their publisher... Nor do I care for those, really.

    I went there, answered questions ... and wondered how well *percieved*
    quality and metrics from some tool correlate. Sure, I want more focus
    on code quality, but I think I'd prefer to have myself and my coworkers
    say what's acceptable and what's not.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 1, 2012
  5. On Feb 1, 6:02 pm, Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 2012-02-01, Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > >> the examples they give arefrom a particular tool. It smells like
    > >> advertising for the particular tool.

    > > The advertising is probably very immaturely made, then.  I've gone
    > > there, answered questions, and I can't recall either the name of the
    > > tool or their publisher...  Nor do I care for those, really.

    > I went there, answered questions ... and wondered how well *percieved*
    > quality and metrics from some tool correlate.  Sure, I want more focus
    > on code quality, but I think I'd prefer to have myself and my coworkers
    > say what's acceptable and what's not.

    I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
    potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
    some value for "complexity". But when I've had such things readily
    available I didn't make great use of them. I can also imagine the
    reaction to making such things compulsary (moaning and whining,
    followed by malicious compliance)

    Nick Keighley, Feb 2, 2012
  6. RLC

    Miles Bader Guest

    Nick Keighley <> writes:
    > I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
    > potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
    > some value for "complexity". But when I've had such things readily
    > available I didn't make great use of them.

    Hmm, that's a nice-sounding metric, as it's really simple to calculate
    for typical programming languages, and probably is useful for the
    purpose you state.

    You're right that most people aren't going to be tracking such info
    constantly, but still, every once in a while one tends to go into
    "spring-cleaning mode", and it's nice to have such tools available then.

    -Miles

    --
    80% of success is just showing up. --Woody Allen

    Miles Bader, Feb 3, 2012
  7. RLC

    Bill Davy Guest

    "Miles Bader" <> wrote in message
    > Nick Keighley <> writes:
    >> I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
    >> potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
    >> some value for "complexity". But when I've had such things readily
    >> available I didn't make great use of them.

    > Hmm, that's a nice-sounding metric, as it's really simple to calculate
    > for typical programming languages, and probably is useful for the
    > purpose you state.
    >
    > You're right that most people aren't going to be tracking such info
    > constantly, but still, every once in a while one tends to go into
    > "spring-cleaning mode", and it's nice to have such tools available then.
    >
    > -Miles
    >
    > --
    > 80% of success is just showing up. --Woody Allen

    I use http://www.campwoodsw.com/sourcemonitor.html (donations welcome) if I
    have time. It is easy to set up and use. Then just check the functions
    with the worst stats. I wish there was some way of making it happier about
    large switch statemenst (as used to implement FSM quite cleanly and simply).

    And although it does not produce "metrics" as such (imho), PC-Lint is a very
    worthwhile tool as well.

    Bill Davy, Feb 4, 2012
  8. RLC

    Joe keane Guest

    In article <>,
    Nick Keighley <> wrote:
    >I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
    >potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
    >some value for "complexity".

    As well; "nm -s" works fine for me. I'm not a big fan of 'all gt <NoIS>
    are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out when
    asomething has escaped your notice.

    Joe keane, Feb 4, 2012
  9. On Feb 4, 1:26 pm, (Joe keane) wrote:
    > In article <..com>,
    > Nick Keighley  <> wrote:
    >
    > >I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
    > >potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or exceed
    > >some value for "complexity".

    > As well; "nm -s" works fine for me.  I'm not a big fan of 'all gt <NoIS>
    > are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out when
    > asomething has escaped your notice.

    what I meant to be my point. A 100LOC function isn't neccesarily
    wrong. But its a warning notice and should be looked at hard.

    Nick Keighley, Feb 5, 2012
  10. RLC

    ILostMyKeys Guest

    Nick Keighley wrote:
    > On Feb 4, 1:26 pm, (Joe keane) wrote:
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> Nick Keighley <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got similar opinions. Such metrics might be handy for spotting
    >>> potential problems; "list all the methods that are >100 LOC" or
    >>> exceed some value for "complexity".

    >> As well; "nm -s" works fine for me. I'm not a big fan of 'all gt
    >> <NoIS>
    >> are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out
    >> when asomething has escaped your notice.

    > what I meant to be my point. A 100LOC function isn't neccesarily
    > wrong. But its a warning notice and should be looked at hard.

    Why are you here?

    ILostMyKeys, Feb 8, 2012
  11. On Feb 8, 6:04 am, "ILostMyKeys"
    <> wrote:
    > Nick Keighley wrote:
    > > On Feb 4, 1:26 pm, (Joe keane) wrote:
    > >> In article
    > >> <>,

    > >> As well; "nm -s" works fine for me. I'm not a big fan of 'all gt
    > >> <NoIS>
    > >> are wrong'; some functions should be, but it is nice to point out
    > >> when asomething has escaped your notice.

    > > what I meant to be my point. A 100LOC function isn't neccesarily
    > > wrong. But its a warning notice and should be looked at hard.

    > Why are you here?

    to learn a bit of C, to share my knowledge of C, to discuss
    programming issues based around C. There are some very smart
    programmers on this ng.

    Why are you here?

    Nick Keighley, Feb 9, 2012
  12. RLC

    Henrik Faber Guest

    On 09.02.2012 10:02, Nick Keighley wrote:
    > On Feb 8, 6:04 am, "ILostMyKeys"
    > <> wrote:
    >> Nick Keighley wrote:
    >>
    >> Why are you here?

    > to learn a bit of C, to share my knowledge of C, to discuss
    > programming issues based around C. There are some very smart
    > programmers on this ng.
    >
    > Why are you here?

    That's kind of obvious. He lost his keys and is looking in this NG.

    Henrik

    Henrik Faber, Feb 9, 2012