How does equals method work on a String Buffer object!

Discussion in 'Java' started by javabeginner29, Apr 2, 2012.

  1. javabeginner29

    javabeginner29

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    My program is:
    Code:
    import java.io.*;
    class Palindrome
    {
    	public static void main(String args[])
    	{
    		try{
    			// Open the file that is the first
    			// command line parameter
    			FileInputStream fstream = new FileInputStream("Words.txt");
    			// Get the object of DataInputStream
    			DataInputStream in = new DataInputStream(fstream);
    			BufferedReader br = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(in));

    			while(br.readLine()!= null){
    			StringBuffer strLine = new StringBuffer(br.readLine());

    				String str1 = strLine.toString();
    				String str2 = strLine.reverse().toString();

    			if (str1.equals(str2)) {

    				System.out.println(str1 + " is  a palindrome");

    			//Close the input stream
    			in.close();
    		}catch (Exception e){//Catch exception if any
    			System.err.println("Error: " + e.getMessage());
    This program checks if a string is a palindrome by reading each word which is on a different line from the file Word.txt. This works .. But my question is :

    when I give if(strLine.equals(strLine.reverse()) it doesnot give the desired output. It simply prints all the words in the file Word.txt concatenated with " is a palindrome". Why is it so?
    javabeginner29, Apr 2, 2012