How does gem know to create an executable

Raj Singh

I installed gem called gembox and am loving it.

http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/tree/master

When I installed this gem, I got this command called 'gembox' for free.
which gembox
/usr/bin/gembox

I am looking at gembox.gemspec and am not able to find any mention of
executable.
http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/blob/0e83224d34734ea2f2d8337f289941902b469a7a/gembox.gemspec

My question is where in the gem specification it is mentioned that an
executable should be created and the name of the executable should be
'gembox'.

I read the manuals mentioned at http://rubygems.org/ but could not get
what I am looking for.

Thanks

Raj Singh

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the response. If I am using hoe, how do I mark something as
executable?

Eric Hodel

Thanks for the response. If I am using hoe, how do I mark something as
executable?

Drop a file in bin/ that is executable and Hoe will Do What You Want.