How does gem know to create an executable

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Raj Singh, Jun 15, 2009.

  1. Raj Singh

    Raj Singh Guest

    I installed gem called gembox and am loving it.

    http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/tree/master

    When I installed this gem, I got this command called 'gembox' for free.

    > which gembox

    /usr/bin/gembox

    I am looking at gembox.gemspec and am not able to find any mention of
    executable.
    http://github.com/quirkey/gembox/blob/0e83224d34734ea2f2d8337f289941902b469a7a/gembox.gemspec

    My question is where in the gem specification it is mentioned that an
    executable should be created and the name of the executable should be
    'gembox'.

    I read the manuals mentioned at http://rubygems.org/ but could not get
    what I am looking for.

    Thanks
    Raj Singh, Jun 15, 2009

  2. Raj Singh

    Ryan Davis Guest

    Ryan Davis, Jun 15, 2009

  3. Raj Singh

    Raj Singh Guest

    Hi Ryan,

    Thanks for the response. If I am using hoe, how do I mark something as
    executable?

    Raj Singh, Jun 15, 2009
  4. Raj Singh

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Jun 15, 2009, at 07:55, Raj Singh wrote:
    > Thanks for the response. If I am using hoe, how do I mark something as
    > executable?

    Drop a file in bin/ that is executable and Hoe will Do What You Want.
    Eric Hodel, Jun 15, 2009