How does Gmail change textArea during spell check?

delraydog

If you've used the Google Gmail spell checker you know that it
'changes' the text area to another type of control that lets them show
hyperlinks for the incorrect words. How does Google change the
textarea? And what do they change it to? I know it should be pretty
simple, I just have no clue because I'm fairly new to DHTML. Any
examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Cliff.
(e-mail address removed)

kaeli

If you've used the Google Gmail spell checker you know that it
'changes' the text area to another type of control that lets them show
hyperlinks for the incorrect words. How does Google change the
textarea? And what do they change it to? I know it should be pretty
simple, I just have no clue because I'm fairly new to DHTML. Any
examples would be greatly appreciated.

Probably the same thing they do with blogger.com. It looks like it's a
textarea, but it really isn't quite that. It's an iframe, if I interpreted
the source correctly when I was mucking around. Inside the iframe is a
document with a textarea and a div. It switches between them, setting the
content of the div to the content of the textarea, plus modifications.
It was really quite intricate and very cool.

I don't have gmail, so I could be wrong.
View the source and trace through it.

Ash

Isn't GMail still in beta? I'd love to signup but couldn't find anywhere to
do so!

So...whats it like?

Cheers, Ash

@

@sh

Anyone with an account has loads of invites:
here's 6, if anyone wants more, and you're a clj reg. , get in
touch...

Excellent, many thanks for that, really appreciate it.

Any idea when the service could go live? and having used it, do you rate it
as far as webmail goes?

Cheers, Ash