How does IE implement cookies?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Eric, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to debug a problem that some users of our ASP app see that
    goes away when they clear their cookies.

    I've gotten a copy of their cookie for our app and have renamed it
    from them@testsite[1].txt to me@testsite[1].txt. However, when I
    navigate to testsite, I see it create a me@testsite[3].txt. What are
    the rules as far as what gets written to the C:\Documents and Settings\
    %Username%\Cookies?

    When does it increment the counter that's inside the []? Are there
    any articles that explain in depth how IE works with cookies?

    I don't really have any problems finding articles on how to read write
    cookies from within asp, etc. I
    don't really need any more information on this. I need to figure out
    out how the actual files work on the PC, in particular with IE6.

    In theory I would think that if the problem is with information stored
    in a cookie and I save another user's cookie on my machine, and change
    the filename to match my user name I should be able to reproduce it,
    but it doesn't seem to be working.

    Thanks,
    Eric

    Eric, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Eric

    Eric Guest

    On Apr 11, 1:29 pm, "Eric" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to debug a problem that some users of our ASP app see that
    > goes away when they clear their cookies.
    >
    > I've gotten a copy of their cookie for our app and have renamed it
    > from them@testsite[1].txt to me@testsite[1].txt. However, when I
    > navigate to testsite, I see it create a me@testsite[3].txt. What are
    > the rules as far as what gets written to the C:\Documents and Settings\
    > %Username%\Cookies?
    >
    > When does it increment the counter that's inside the []? Are there
    > any articles that explain in depth how IE works with cookies?
    >
    > I don't really have any problems finding articles on how to read write
    > cookies from within asp, etc. I
    > don't really need any more information on this. I need to figure out
    > out how the actual files work on the PC, in particular with IE6.
    >
    > In theory I would think that if the problem is with information stored
    > in a cookie and I save another user's cookie on my machine, and change
    > the filename to match my user name I should be able to reproduce it,
    > but it doesn't seem to be working.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric

    Also it seems that it keeps the cookie in 2 different places, c:
    \document and settings\myuserid\cookies and C:\Documents and Settings
    \myuserid\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, what's up with
    that?

    -Eric

    Eric, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Eric

    Evertjan. Guest

    Eric wrote on 11 apr 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > On Apr 11, 1:29 pm, "Eric" <> wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm trying to debug a problem that some users of our ASP app see that
    >> goes away when they clear their cookies.
    >>
    >> I've gotten a copy of their cookie for our app and have renamed it
    >> from them@testsite[1].txt to me@testsite[1].txt. However, when I
    >> navigate to testsite, I see it create a me@testsite[3].txt. What are
    >> the rules as far as what gets written to the C:\Documents and
    >> Settings\ %Username%\Cookies?
    >>
    >> When does it increment the counter that's inside the []? Are there
    >> any articles that explain in depth how IE works with cookies?
    >>
    >> I don't really have any problems finding articles on how to read
    >> write cookies from within asp, etc. I
    >> don't really need any more information on this. I need to figure out
    >> out how the actual files work on the PC, in particular with IE6.
    >>
    >> In theory I would think that if the problem is with information
    >> stored in a cookie and I save another user's cookie on my machine,
    >> and change the filename to match my user name I should be able to
    >> reproduce it, but it doesn't seem to be working.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Eric

    > Also it seems that it keeps the cookie in 2 different places, c:
    > \document and settings\myuserid\cookies and C:\Documents and Settings
    > \myuserid\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, what's up with
    > that?

    I fail to see what this has to do with ASP.
    That asp can set a cookie path in the header
    has nothing to do with how IE implements it.

    Perhaps a IE NG would be the place to ask.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Apr 11, 2007