How does IE implement cookies?

Eric

Hello,

I'm trying to debug a problem that some users of our ASP app see that
goes away when they clear their cookies.

I've gotten a copy of their cookie for our app and have renamed it
from them@testsite[1].txt to me@testsite[1].txt. However, when I
navigate to testsite, I see it create a me@testsite[3].txt. What are
the rules as far as what gets written to the C:\Documents and Settings\
%Username%\Cookies?

When does it increment the counter that's inside the []? Are there
any articles that explain in depth how IE works with cookies?

I don't really have any problems finding articles on how to read write
cookies from within asp, etc. I
don't really need any more information on this. I need to figure out
out how the actual files work on the PC, in particular with IE6.

In theory I would think that if the problem is with information stored
in a cookie and I save another user's cookie on my machine, and change
the filename to match my user name I should be able to reproduce it,
but it doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks,
Eric

[...]

Also it seems that it keeps the cookie in 2 different places, c:
\document and settings\myuserid\cookies and C:\Documents and Settings
\myuserid\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, what's up with
that?

-Eric

Evertjan.

Eric wrote on 11 apr 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
[...]

I fail to see what this has to do with ASP.
That asp can set a cookie path in the header
has nothing to do with how IE implements it.

Perhaps a IE NG would be the place to ask.