    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com/politics/harper.html
    Anyone but Harper for Prime Minister of Canada

    Roedy Green, Sep 23, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:41:02 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
    >connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
    >desktop? on the phone?

    I discovered yet another way:

    If the phone has WAP access, you upload the jad file to a host like
    waphq.net. Your app gets assigned a number. Anyone wanting to load
    the software uses their cell-phone wap browser to navigate to
    http://waphq.net/wap.php and enters the number.

    Roedy Green, Sep 23, 2008

  3. Roedy Green wrote:
    > 3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
    > connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
    > desktop? on the phone?

    IME Nokia cell/mobile/handy telephones are supplied with Nokia PC-Suite.
    You can use this to select JAR files to be installed on the phone via a
    USB connector.

    --
    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Sep 23, 2008
  4. Roedy Green schrieb:
    > 1.You upload your software over the Internet to distribution site like
    > cell.photo.net. Your app gets assigned a phone number. Anyone wanting
    > to load the software dials than number on their cell-phone.
    >
    > 2. If the phone has Internet access, I presume it is possible to
    > download the jad file from an ordinary website given the URL.
    >
    > 3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
    > connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
    > desktop? on the phone?

    I just send the jar via bluetooth to the phone. No additional software required.
    On the other hand I had another cell where this wasn't possible. The file was
    transfered but not recognized as java application. In that case I needed to use
    bitpm to connect to the phone to browse the phones file system and place the jar
    in the appropriate folder. This phone was a Samsung phone that only looks in a
    specific folder for java applications, where this folder is not accessible thru
    the normal samsung software thats why one has to use bitpm. The most secure way
    to deploy it would be the wap way. But that is no option for me since I don't
    own a data flatrate nor do I want to download e.g. an 4MB jar to my phone via
    wap. And again I switched phones and now I just bluetooth it.

    Stefan

    Stefan Rybacki, Sep 23, 2008
  5. Roedy Green <> wrote:
    > 3. I presume there exists some way of uploading the program over a USB
    > connection from a desktop computer. What software do you use on the
    > desktop? on the phone?

    I've used a couple of variants of this scenario under linux:
    3-a-a) IRDA-send: a small utility, that sends/receives files
    over IRDA. It was called "irxfer" back then.
    3-a-b) IRDA: utility "gammu" let me access the filesystem
    of my older nokia phones, e.g. 6610, 3200
    and many others.
    3-b-a) Bluetooth: in principle like irxfer (3-a-a)
    3-b-b) OBEX over Bluetooth: also allows to browse files on the
    phone. Works conveniently in KDE and gnome.

    3-c) many modern phones I saw appeared as "usb-storage", when
    connected to the PC with the accompanying usb-cable.

    4) some phones have slots for memory-cards, e.g. microSD, which
    one can just take out from the phone and stick into an
    appropriate reader connected to (or built into) the PC.

    PS: ad WAP: my experience was, that WAP didn't really allow downloading
    of files, but only served the wap-pages that contained the link, which
    was then downloaded with HTTP. Even phones that didn't support displaying
    http-pages (only wap) e.g. the Siemens C55 still had separate http-profiles
    used both for downloads and for connections initiated by java-midlets.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Sep 23, 2008