How does MSN do it???

Bond

How does MSN allow user to connect to other users to chat if the end
user is behind a router/NAT? I'm thinking in terms of Java and using
Sockets and I can't think of a way for myself to connect to my friend
when he is behind a NAT.

Bryce

How does MSN allow user to connect to other users to chat if the end
user is behind a router/NAT? I'm thinking in terms of Java and using
Sockets and I can't think of a way for myself to connect to my friend
when he is behind a NAT.

The client initiates the connection. Same reason why if you block port
80 on your router, your web browser still works.

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article said:
How does MSN allow user to connect to other users to chat if the end
user is behind a router/NAT? I'm thinking in terms of Java and using

When you're chatting to your buddy through MSN, you both initiated a
connection to MSN's server, and every byte you send goes to MSN's server
and then back through the connection that they made to MSN. The bytes get
back to his MSN client the same way they get back to his web browser when
he browses for porn^W^Wthe web.

Daniel

How does MSN allow user to connect to other users to chat if the end
user is behind a router/NAT? I'm thinking in terms of Java and using
Sockets and I can't think of a way for myself to connect to my friend
when he is behind a NAT.

when ICQs chat module stopped working I faced the same problem. But
lacking a server to use I had to work around the same problem you have
here. My solution, is not going to work if you both are behind NAT,
but if one is (in this case me) it works. If you (the user behind NAT)
conencts to the other end. Then you can use java sockets to send all
sorts of fun stuff.

regads
Daniel
www.daik.se

Bond

WOW! I thought MSN was P2P and the messages didn't go through the
server... seemed like a large load for the server to handle. But it
does make sense.

Ray in HK

just like proxy ?

Paul Tomblin said:
When you're chatting to your buddy through MSN, you both initiated a
connection to MSN's server, and every byte you send goes to MSN's server
and then back through the connection that they made to MSN. The bytes get
back to his MSN client the same way they get back to his web browser when
he browses for porn^W^Wthe web.

limingjun

In almost time,MSN works in the server model(send all messge to the
server and get the message from the server).But when the both all in
same LAN,the works in the P2P.Because ,if you send large file to
other,in lan it's fast,if not it's slowly.

Juhan Kundla

The client initiates the connection. Same reason why if you block port
80 on your router, your web browser still works.

I don't think so. MSN works even when *all* chatters are behind the NAT
router. This leaves only one option -- the MSN traffic must be
relayed through some well-known MSN server in the Internet and all
online clients (behind NAT or not) must have initiated connections to
the server.

Juhan

Bryce

I don't think so. MSN works even when *all* chatters are behind the NAT
router. This leaves only one option -- the MSN traffic must be
relayed through some well-known MSN server in the Internet and all
online clients (behind NAT or not) must have initiated connections to
the server.

Read again, that's what I said... Or at least what I meant to say.

Clients initiates connection. I just didn't say what it connected to.
It was assumed a server...

Virgil Green

Daniel said:
when ICQs chat module stopped working I faced the same problem. But
lacking a server to use I had to work around the same problem you have
here. My solution, is not going to work if you both are behind NAT,
but if one is (in this case me) it works. If you (the user behind NAT)
conencts to the other end. Then you can use java sockets to send all
sorts of fun stuff.

regads
Daniel
www.daik.se

If both are behind NAT, consider port forwarding.

Bond

don't want users to have that responsibility. I have an idea of what
has to be done. Thanks to everyone for the replies.