How does one authorize a previously declined certificate in anapplet?

joeww

I have a user who declined a certificate for an applet I wrote. (It
is a self-signed certificate because I'm not ready to pay to properly
sign it.) He now wants to authorize the applet but he doesn't know
how to do it (the Java browser plugin doesn't seem to re-prompt him)
and I can't figure that out how to do this either. Does anyone know
what to do?

Thank you in advance!

Joe

Arne Vajhøj

joeww said:
I have a user who declined a certificate for an applet I wrote. (It
is a self-signed certificate because I'm not ready to pay to properly
sign it.) He now wants to authorize the applet but he doesn't know
how to do it (the Java browser plugin doesn't seem to re-prompt him)
and I can't figure that out how to do this either. Does anyone know
what to do?

It may depend on OS/browser/Java, but first thing should be
to start clearing cache and saved decisions.

Arne

Andrew Thompson

I have a user who declined a certificate for an applet I wrote.  (It
is a self-signed certificate because I'm not ready to pay to properly
sign it.)  He now wants to authorize the applet but he doesn't know
how to do it (the Java browser plugin doesn't seem to re-prompt him)
and I can't figure that out  how to do this either.  Does anyone know
what to do?

Chase the link from
<http://pscode.org/test/docload/>
...to 'sandbox.html' and see if that works for your end user.

Andrew Thompson

Of course, this would be much simpler if the applet were
deployed using webstart.

The first refusal would mean the applet never made it to
screen. Further launches of the JNLP would prompt the user
until such times as they not only accept it the digitally
signed code, but also choose 'always allow'.

Dave Miller

joeww said:
I have a user who declined a certificate for an applet I wrote. (It
is a self-signed certificate because I'm not ready to pay to properly
sign it.) He now wants to authorize the applet but he doesn't know
how to do it (the Java browser plugin doesn't seem to re-prompt him)
and I can't figure that out how to do this either. Does anyone know
what to do?

Thank you in advance!

Joe
It depends on operating system and, if Windows, JVM version.

If Windows (XP) with a 1.6 JVM go to: Control Panel --> Java -->
Security --> Certificate --> Certificate Type: Trusted Certificates

If Mac (OS X)go to: Utilities --> Keychain Access

In Mac they can modify permissions for your cert, in both they can
delete it which will cause the dialog to pop up on init.