    No wonder I'm an engineer and not a lawyer :)

    Thanks,
    Ken McDonald
    Kenneth McDonald, May 17, 2004

  2. Kenneth McDonald wrote:

    > This is something I've been curious about for a while, and have never
    > quite figured out...
    >
    > What are the legalities of writing commercial code which makes use
    > of the bsddb module in Python? I would expect that payment of some
    > sort would be necessary, but have no idea how much/under what terms.
    > Sleepycat's most basic fee is $25,000 I believe, if people wish to
    > incorporate code into their product, but what about the case (as
    > in Python) where the code is being accessed only indirectly?
    >
    > No wonder I'm an engineer and not a lawyer :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ken McDonald

    The comments below the following article addressing this issue might be
    of interest to you, although I can't really tell they will provide a
    definitive answer to your question:

    http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2003/11/26/discoveringBerkeleyDB
    vincent wehren, May 18, 2004

  3. Kenneth McDonald wrote:

    > This is something I've been curious about for a while, and have never
    > quite figured out...
    >
    > What are the legalities of writing commercial code which makes use
    > of the bsddb module in Python? I would expect that payment of some
    > sort would be necessary, but have no idea how much/under what terms.
    > Sleepycat's most basic fee is $25,000 I believe, if people wish to
    > incorporate code into their product, but what about the case (as
    > in Python) where the code is being accessed only indirectly?
    >
    > No wonder I'm an engineer and not a lawyer :)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ken McDonald

    The comments below the following article addressing this issue might be
    of interest to you, although I can't really tell they will provide a
    definitive answer to your question:

    http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2003/11/26/discoveringBerkeleyDB

    Regards,

    -- Vincent Wehren
    vincent wehren, May 18, 2004
  4. Re: How does use of bsddb interact with Python in a commercialenvironment?

    [Ken]
    > What are the legalities of writing commercial code which makes use
    > of the bsddb module in Python?

    I asked exactly this question when we adopted bsddb for SpamBayes. Here's
    what Barry Warsaw (the PythonLabs guy who talked to Sleepycat about it) had
    to say: http://mail.python.org/pipermail/spambayes/2002-November/002213.html

    It will continue to make nervous until SleepyCat themselves publish a
    statement about it.

    --
    Richie Hindle
    Richie Hindle, May 19, 2004