How does WebMatrix work?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Mark Hammond, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Mark Hammond

    Mark Hammond Guest

    Hi Folks

    I am trying to design a GUI builder tool with a design 'canvas' for placing
    web controls and setting their properties. Users will be able to piece
    together simple web applications by pointing and clicking - they won't need
    to be programmers as I will provide a selection of standard behaviours to
    bind with the controls' events.

    I have not decided whether my tool will be developed using Visual Studio
    ..NET 2003 or the Whidbey release.

    My question is: how does WebMatrix (which is only a 1Mb download!) provide
    such a rich UI for designing web pages? Is it using classes inside the .NET
    framework to actually create the design surface, positioning and sizing
    handles, toolbars and property windows etc. and if so what are those classes
    and where are they documented?

    I have used the ILDASM program to look inside the file Microsoft.Matrix.dll,
    which is part of the WebMatrix package, and it implements a number of
    framework classes such as IDocumentDesignerHost and ILayeredDesignerHost,
    which look relevant.

    Looking at the Whidbey framework there are some new classes such as the
    DesignSurface class. Because the documentation is very sparse I'm not sure
    whether this is relevant or not?

    Any help gratefully received.

    Thanks in advance

    Mark