    --
    Chris Green

    , Apr 3, 2008

  2. a écrit :
    > Does python install fairly easily for a non-root user?
    >
    > I have an ssh login account onto a Linux system that currently
    > provides Python 2.4.3 and I'd really like to use some of the
    > improvements in Python 2.5.x.
    >
    > So, if I download the Python-2.5.2.tgz file is it just the standard:-
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=$HOME
    > make
    > make install

    IIRC there's something like make altinstall - but you'd better read the
    doc (INSTALL.txt anyone ?)

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Apr 3, 2008

  3. wrote:
    > Does python install fairly easily for a non-root user?
    >
    > I have an ssh login account onto a Linux system that currently
    > provides Python 2.4.3 and I'd really like to use some of the
    > improvements in Python 2.5.x.
    >
    > So, if I download the Python-2.5.2.tgz file is it just the standard:-
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=$HOME
    > make
    > make install

    It is easy, but on an oldish Debian box, I ran into problems where the
    headers for some libraries weren't available, so my Python install
    didn't support readline or bzip2 (or perhaps other things too).

    Matt Nordhoff, Apr 3, 2008

    Bruno Desthuilliers <> wrote:
    > a écrit :
    > > Does python install fairly easily for a non-root user?
    > >
    > > I have an ssh login account onto a Linux system that currently
    > > provides Python 2.4.3 and I'd really like to use some of the
    > > improvements in Python 2.5.x.
    > >
    > > So, if I download the Python-2.5.2.tgz file is it just the standard:-
    > >
    > > ./configure --prefix=$HOME
    > > make
    > > make install
    > >

    > IIRC there's something like make altinstall - but you'd better read the
    > doc (INSTALL.txt anyone ?)

    Well it seems to work perfectly! :)

    I just did the usual sequence as noted above and I seem to have a
    working Python 2.5.2 of my very own.

    I didn't need 'make altinstall' because I don't need to be able to see
    the existing Python 2.4.3.

    It takes a few Mb of disk space but since my free quote is 3Gb or
    something that doesn't really worry me.

    I'm impressed, well done Python developers.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Apr 3, 2008