How edit page in design view when has a master page?

Ronald S. Cook

For my web pages that have an associated master page, when I try to work
with them in design mode, I get this "gray film" over it and I can edit only
the master.

How can I get to my page in design mode without having to remove the
association with the master page?

Thanks,
Ron

Roland Dick

Ronald said:
For my web pages that have an associated master page, when I try to work
with them in design mode, I get this "gray film" over it and I can edit only
the master.

Hi Ron,
are you sure you have a contentplaceholder-tag in your master page and
fill that in you aspx page?

The VS designer renders the whole page, i.e. master and content parts,
but "greys out" the master parts. The contents should not be greyed out
(unless something prevents the contentplaceholder-tag in the master page
from being rendered; for example, a contentplaceholder in the
loggedintemplate of a loginview on the master page as in:

<asp:LoginView ID="LoginView2" runat="server">
<AnonymousTemplate>
You are not logged in!
</AnonymousTemplate>
<LoggedInTemplate>
<asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server">
</asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
</LoggedInTemplate>
</asp:LoginView>

Here, the designer always displays the anonymoustemplate and therefore
no contentplaceholder at all. If someone knows a way around this, let me
know..

Hope that helps, otherwise post some code.

Cheers,
Roland

Ronald S. Cook

Thanks Roland. It looks like it did it because I had my contentplaceholder
in my mater page enclosed within table elements. I removed them (and
shifted that responsibility to the indivisual pages) and I can now see those
pages in designer.

I appreciate the response.

Ron

James Curtis

This is what I do between my development on my machine and NOT the
production server.

On my dev machine, I'll take out the following tags and paste them to
notepad:

<asp:LoginView ID="LoginView1" runat="server">
<LoggedInTemplate>
<<< leave this content here >>>
</LoggedInTemplate>
<AnonymousTemplate>
<<< this content here should be moved as well >>>
</AnonymousTemplate>
</asp:LoginView>

This way, you can locally use the GUI and Smart Tags to edit your pages
while using Master Pages. When you are ready to push the site back to the
production server OR need to test the LoginView functionality, just put back
your code into the Master Page.

Cheers,

James
Pier Cove Software