how fast can you pingpong pickled objects?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Bram Stolk, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Bram Stolk

    Bram Stolk Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm transfering small pickled object over a socket.
    The performance I see is lower than expected.

    How fast should I be able to ping/pong small objects in python?

    I use a threaded SocketServer, telnetlib and pickle to test this,
    and I see that a 100 ping-pongs take 4 seconds or so, (over the
    localhost network).

    ping localhost gives me 0.06 msec, so the network
    is fast enough.

    My test code is here:

    http://stolk.org/tmp/pingpong.py

    Is there a limit in Python on how many times per second
    a thread can be scheduled?

    Thanks,

    Bram

    Bram Stolk, Dec 12, 2005