How fast is an Java Application to a Java Applet.

Sanny

I have 2 Questions.

1. I have a applet which works slowly. If I turn it into Application.
How fast will it run. Currently it works on JVM. Will it be 10-20
times faster if the Applet is converted into application?

2. Java Applet works on all Browsers. I want all users to run my
Application Will I need to provide J2SE along with my application.

3. How many computers have Java already installed?

Bye
Sanny

Thomas Schodt

Sanny said:
I have 2 Questions.

Or maybe 3,
1. I have a applet which works slowly. If I turn it into Application.
How fast will it run. Currently it works on JVM. Will it be 10-20
times faster if the Applet is converted into application?

The overhead is mostly in the browser.
Try launching the applet with appletviewer
to cut out any lag caused by the browser.

2. Java Applet works on all Browsers. I want all users to run my
Application Will I need to provide J2SE along with my application.

Applets work on all Browsers if the host machine has a JRE installed
and the browser has been told where to look for the JRE.

3. How many computers have Java already installed?

Google might know.

Andrew Thompson

Sanny wrote:
1. I have a applet ...

Where? What URL can we see it at?
..which works slowly. If I turn it into Application.
How fast will it run.

Not any faster unless you use the -server option for
running it as an application. Using the -server option
might boost the performance by 30-40% (1.3 to 1.4
times faster) if the bytecodes are well suited to
optimisation.
..Currently it works on JVM. Will it be 10-20
times faster if the Applet is converted into application?
No.

2. Java Applet works on all Browsers.

No it doesn't. A good example is Lynx, a browser
for the sight impaired, it does not support anything
but text.

Another example is a very locked down corporate
or otherwise 'group access' (library, internet cafe..)
situation where the providers decided Java was more
trouble than it was worth, and removed or disabled it.
...I want all users to run my
Application Will I need to provide J2SE along with my application.

If they can run it in a browser, they should be able to
run it as an application without installing the J2SE.
But then, you will not get this 'magical' speed increase
you are after, not even with native compilation.

Roedy Green

1. I have a applet which works slowly. If I turn it into Application.
How fast will it run. Currently it works on JVM. Will it be 10-20
times faster if the Applet is converted into application?
no. The main difference will be more ram without the browser. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/optimisation.html
for ways to spped up your Applet/application.
2. Java Applet works on all Browsers. I want all users to run my
Application Will I need to provide J2SE along with my application.
You can point them to the URL. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installingjava.html
Unless you distribute on CD there is not much point in including a
JVM.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Sanny said:
1. I have a applet which works slowly. If I turn it into Application.
How fast will it run. Currently it works on JVM. Will it be 10-20
times faster if the Applet is converted into application?

Assuming it is the same Java version, then there should
not be any difference.
2. Java Applet works on all Browsers. I want all users to run my
Application Will I need to provide J2SE along with my application.

Java applets works on all browsers if Java is installed.

Java applications work if Java is installed.

I would think it would be the same unless it is possible to
install inly the browser plugin without installing the full
JRE.
3. How many computers have Java already installed?

Millions.

But spanning a lot of versions.

Arne