How generate a web reference?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Dorian, Oct 28, 2009.

  1. Dorian

    Dorian Guest

    I am totally new to .Net and have been given a huge web application to
    develop with a tight deadline.
    I have 2 books on C#, each over 1000 pages.
    I am trying to create a web reference. I understand this is needed to be
    ablwe to use my web services (we use web services for all functionality).
    I right click on the project, select 'add web reference' then 'web services
    in this solution', I then select the only web service listed. I then get an
    error the possibility of which is not mentioned in any of my books. I have no
    idea what the error means or how to get past it. It says: Server error in '\'
    application. Then:
    Parser Error

    Parser Error Message: Could not create type 'WebService.Service1'.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="AstatWs.asmx.cs"
    Class="WebService.Service1" %>

    Source File: /AstatWs.asmx Line: 1

    I have no idea what WebService.Service1' is or where it gets it from. Help!

    -- Dorian
    eat for a lifetime".
    Dorian, Oct 28, 2009

  2. Dorian

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Dorian" <> wrote in message
    >I am totally new to .Net and have been given a huge web application to
    > develop with a tight deadline.
    > I have 2 books on C#, each over 1000 pages.
    > I am trying to create a web reference. I understand this is needed to be
    > ablwe to use my web services (we use web services for all functionality).

    Gee man, how did you get yourself roped into this? You you're new to .NET,
    new to C#, new to Service Oriented Architecture, and a tight deadline. I
    wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

    You need to start at square one and figure out what infrastructure,
    architecture, design and tools needed to be successful and pull this off.
    Other than that, I see failure here for you, or at best, the solution will
    not be what you had desired it to be and your user base not happy.

    Web services are just one of the elements needed here. What about the other
    elements that are needed on the table and information you need to know as a
    ..NET architect to pull it off?

    What version of VS.NET are you using and the version of the .NET Framework
    that's going to be used?

    Seriously man, you need to stop dead in your tracks and figure out where
    square one is and move forward from there in rapid paced, forced march and
    on the fly learning curve.

    That's were you need help and not Web services at this time.

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4553 (20091028) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Mr. Arnold, Oct 29, 2009