    Sai
    --
    I love Freedom

    Sai Krishna M, Nov 21, 2006

  2. Sai Krishna M

    Gary Duzan Guest

    In article <>,
    Sai Krishna M <> wrote:
    >Hi everybody,
    >
    >i have been developing web based applications using python+cheetah.
    >
    >The numbers are increasing. The applications have many common parts of
    >code. Though these applications are separate from each other they are
    >run in the same server.
    >
    >I heard about CORBA... but also heard that it has some flaws...like
    >the programming being very complicated.
    >Also heard that CORBA is no more used these days...

    CORBA is good for what it is good for. It does take some time
    to get up to speed on it, but eventually most of it makes sense.
    Some of the language mappings, especially C++, can be hard to use
    safely, but the Python mapping is much easier to use.

    If you need good performance, multiple language support, multiple
    OS/hardware platform support, and preferably control both ends of
    the communication, CORBA may be for you. Check out omniORB for C++
    and Python (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/), and JacORB for Java
    (http://www.jacorb.org/).

    Good luck.

    Gary Duzan
    Motorola CHS

    Gary Duzan, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Sai Krishna M

    cyberco Guest

    Check out Jini. It's being proposed as an Apache project nowadays and
    really shines when it comes to making distributed services work
    together. Each application can be exposed as a Jini service whereby
    other services only know the Java interface the service proxy
    implements. How you implement the service itself (python?) or the
    communication between the proxy and the service back-end (XML-RPC? RMI?
    FTP? E-mail?) is completely up to you. Jini may look difficult at the
    beginning, but distributed systems are inherently difficult. Jini just
    makes them clear and forces you to deal with them in the easiest way
    possible. In my opinion Jini is one of the best kept secrets of
    distributed computing. Read up on the vision behind Jini to get an idea
    of mother of all SOA technologies.

    2B

    cyberco, Nov 21, 2006
  4. Sai Krishna M wrote:

    > I heard about CORBA... but also heard that it has some flaws...like
    > the programming being very complicated.
    > Also heard that CORBA is no more used these days...

    CORBA's wire protocol (GIOP/IIOP) is heavily used in (java) EJB servers.

    > Can someone suggest me a better option or is corba fine?

    Well, if you are in a 100% python environment, I would suggest
    to use Pyro instead (http://pyro.sf.net)
    Or some other pure-Python RPC mechanism.

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Hi,

    >> I heard about CORBA... but also heard that it has some flaws...like
    >> the programming being very complicated.
    >> Also heard that CORBA is no more used these days...

    > CORBA's wire protocol (GIOP/IIOP) is heavily used in (java) EJB servers.
    >
    >> Can someone suggest me a better option or is corba fine?

    > Well, if you are in a 100% python environment, I would suggest
    > to use Pyro instead (http://pyro.sf.net)
    > Or some other pure-Python RPC mechanism.

    If, on the other hand, you want/have to combine different programming
    languages and different environments, then CORBA will be a big help. For
    example: Making objects implemented in Python on a Linux machine work with
    objects implemented in C++ on a Windows machine (or even with objects
    implemented in COBOL on a mainframe) will be no problem at all.

    In our company we use CORBA a lot, even though we mostly use Python these
    days. It gives us a lot of flexibility, while on the other hand it 'forces'
    us to strictly define the interfaces of our objects before implementing
    them. But that is a good thing :)

    - Sander

    Sander Steffann, Nov 21, 2006